Laughing City
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

I considered gushing about this in the CD in Hand thread, but decided it deserved its own headline.

I can't say enough about the design work on everything associated with this release. Truly top shelf, from beginning to end. Possibly the most visually appealing and engaging album design in my house (which shelters a lot of Saville designs, to be sure).

One reason I was looking forward to getting the physical product was to see the credits for the design work. There's only one:
Boyd Dupree.

I hope this is noticed and that he gets the attention this kind of work deserves.

Oh, and side note on the credits:
Our dear Francesca turns out not to be someone EVR pays to handle social media marketing and pander to forums; she's actually their A&R!!!
Different world, huh.
CBmp3
Sea Post King

I was also really impressed with everything about the packaging. The quality of the materials, especially the booklet, were just amazing. VERY nice. Big thick spine too. Visibility! haha. I even like the design on the CD face a lot. Very easy on the eyes.

Very Happy

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, in concept (not content) it kind of reminds me of the original Blue Monday 12", that lost money with every sale due to the elaborate sleeve design (cut to resemble a 5 1/2" floppy- and had to be hand-packed).

Hope thats not the case with this one, but the packaging is definitely elaborate.
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Boyd's art and design on the CD and the LP are so totally amazing .
And the litho is just unbelievably beautiful!
I'd be interested to know where Boyd got the faces for the "Valley girl" on the cover and the boy in the woods on the interior...

boone
Vintage Newbie

I remember hearing that Sherri found the girl in a book of stock photos. But exhaustion has caused me to create random memories lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I liked how the theme was definitely carried throughout the panels. The old, slightly erry feel of the vintage images that is classic Eisley, mixed with the "valley" themes in pictures and images (pictures of surrounding high trees. And actual valley, haha. Nature walk band photos). Even had a person in an oxygen mask hidden in there.

Then thrown in there behind the CD are bright dried flowers. May not have been the purpose, but it portrayed to me the light/brightness once you get out of the valley. Flowers meaning new life (though I guess they are kinda dead/dried maybe, haha).

Either way, gorgeous design!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
I remember hearing that Sherri found the girl in a book of stock photos. But exhaustion has caused me to create random memories lately.

I hate when that happens. This one time I didn't sleep for three days and I was sure I'd married Jude Law. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Boone's right, someone reported back that she said that on Twitter I think. And yes, the design and layout are great, and the art itself was created by most of the band members if I remember correctly, don't have the cd near, but I remember that being mentioned.

and EVR's people care, so any doubts about the label should be quelled at this point. So far, so good. Very Happy

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area