Laughing City
MichaelMakeArt
Sea Post King

This is just a thought, and I hope this isn't another annoying geekout topic...

but Watch It Die is so FRIKKIN' catchy. My roommates think Eisley are okay, and yet have been mumbling the song under their breath's for the past few weeks, and the friends I've played the song for have fallen in love with it.

It's also such a narrative song, with a pretty clever hook -- I just think it would really work well as a video/single/radio promo. I know the budget for such an undertaking is where the problem lies, but in an Eisley Dreamformeland it would be quite clever, no? Especially on the West Coast and in the Midwest, Watch It Die would really take off.

I want to continue that already existing discussion on the possibilities of not only this song, but other likewise "catchy" tunes from the new album, and their potential widespread success as individual songs. What are your thoughts on not just a songs likelihood to succeed outside of the album-context, but also new and interesting ways of getting them out there?

For example, these acoustic versions of songs from The Valley are apparently CLEVER as all heck! Better Love is the top selling song from The Valley on iTunes (outside of Ambulance), and that acoustic version of the song from SXSW just went viral this past week! That's crazy!

Discuss.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

MichaelMakeArt wrote:
Better Love is the top selling song from The Valley on iTunes (outside of Ambulance), and that acoustic version of the song from SXSW just went viral this past week! That's crazy!

Confused "Better Love" acoustic at SXSW has 313 views on YouTube. The copy on AP has been shared on Facebook 54 times and tweeted 34 times, with 4 comments on the page itself. Where exactly has this video gone viral?

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I really wish the whole concept of "viral" videos would disappear completely. You can't force something to go viral; if it does, it's either because people liked it or because your attempt to generate fame backfired (a la Rebecca Black's 35 million-and-rising view count).

Now, I do believe the songs on The Valley stand alone quite well and just about all of them are single-worthy. I don't know how many videos we'll get out of this album cycle, but I hope it's more than Combinations (and I think it will be). As for new ways of getting them out there, I think the best thing we as fans can do is continue to share these songs with our friends. Call it Eisleyvangelizing. (Or, you know, a different word that's not a million awkward syllables long.) But I don't think it's realistic to expect anything more out of that than maybe a couple new fans for each current fan that spreads the word. Trying to make it a campaign seems a bit silly to me.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MichaelMakeArt
Sea Post King

Viral was definitely the wrong word to use, but I think the fact that Better Love acoustic being posted on AP had something to do with the jump in iTunes sales. But I agree with you -- now looking back, it hasn't really gone viral at all. But small changes seem to make me excited to talk about this topic, and about the nature of how successful this album should be. Not saying it isn't successful already, as we've heard lately that it is in comparison to Combinations.

Momentary euphoria seemed to get me going on this topic.

I also agree that the rolling snowball of a fan-backed viral campaign is definitely silly, but I think the nature of sharing something your excited and passionate about is as great as it gets. Us fans and our "Eisleyvangelzing" is a great way to not just get more people to hear the music, but also to stay excited about a band we love.

I guess I'm just being impatient about seeing this album get to as many ears as possible as soon as possible, haha.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I really wish the whole concept of "viral" videos would disappear completely. You can't force something to go viral; if it does, it's either because people liked it or because your attempt to generate fame backfired (a la Rebecca Black's 35 million-and-rising view count).

Slightly off topic, but I couldn't agree with you more.

I can't tell you how many times a client has asked us to create a "viral video."
And then they want it super-branded anyway. Ya ok.

Nobody understands the concept of "viral" and just thinks anything you put up on Youtube is automatically viral.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

Disregarding the viral conversation, I think 'Watch it Die' is the best song to push to friends. It's the one I've had the most success with.
Polaris
Sea Post King

I agree. It's upbeat, catchy, (I think it's my favorite) and the lyrics can be empathized with by a wide range of people. (in my opinion)

I really hope they do a video of it. Definitely instead of "Smarter".
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

Honestly, I'd love for Eisley to go into Rosewood, record a song or two, and put that out as the next single. Not that I dislike The Valley, but because the album, while new, is several years old. I'd love to see how they'd advanced.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
Disregarding the viral conversation, I think 'Watch it Die' is the best song to push to friends. It's the one I've had the most success with.

It's certainly the best song on the album.