Laughing City
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

A slightly different take than favorite song. At least to me. My "favorite" songs by them are usually more for the general emotion it invokes or the music, not as much for the lyrics. Still, there's some cool lines/flow of lines that I notice everytime I listen to some of the songs!

One of mine: From Smarter --- "Well I apologize for not telling you that my halo was cut from paper; sliced from the fibers that made up all the parts that we were together" The flow of those lines and the general feeling is sad, but great. Actually the flow of that song in general won me over.

Also---I wasn't sure about going "there," but I think I may go "there" only to hear other thoughts (though burying it in this topic Laughing ). But speaking of lyrics, does anyone else hear any spiritual references in some of the songs? In particular I'm thinking the middle three tracks. I know they usually don't write about that, and most likely it's just about finding new love, but the wording that's used especially in "I Wish" and even "Better Love" makes it sound like it could be about finding spiritual Love, too. Thoughts?
oathmeal
Sea Post King

^^^I can definitely see where you are coming from when you talk about a spiritual aspect to those songs. Not sure if they were meant to be there or if I'm just prone to views things like that as a Christian, but those are two great tracks anyway.

I really like the line in the bridge of Sad that says "Whoa honey, I am telling you you'd better think about it." That's my favorite part of the song and I kind of like the edginess of it. It's pretty cool coming from Eisley. I also like the line from Mr. Moon that says "Bones crack and fingers blister I might console you, but look at my sisters, brilliant like fireflies up their bedroom." That line is amazing and really drives the song.
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

oathmeal wrote:

I really like the line in the bridge of Sad that says "Whoa honey, I am telling you you'd better think about it." That's my favorite part of the song and I kind of like the edginess of it. It's pretty cool coming from Eisley.

I love this line too! I kept help but picture who it was meant for.. and smile.

Kind - "Oh, this is just what we need, this is finally for real. I guess we never wanted anything else, I guess we never wanted anything."

Please - "Baby, let's make this one count. I'll always be around, I wanna be with you forever."

Yeah. I like all of the "light at the end of the tunnel" parts.

CBmp3
Sea Post King

from "Smarter"

"So put your hands together and clap for this painful choice you've made 'cause it's right"

Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I love that line from Kind as well Jamie. I was just thinking about it <3
Caley
Lost at Forum

Here's mine... I'm sure after I listen to the album another 30 times, I'll have an even bigger list.

I WISH:
"I watched you from afar, a blazing burning star.
I came alive, a new design.
The tree of life is what you are."

MR. MOON:
"I might console you, but look at my sisters,
brilliant like fireflies
up in their bedroom."

Every time I hear the bolded parts, I'm always like, "Damn! Great line!"

EDIT: I just realized this... In three posts, I'll be Lost at Forum finally. It's only taken 5+ years! LOL.

Last edited by Caley on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

are you gonna waste 'em or save 'em?
johnip
Vintage Newbie

I walked all night and typically that's fine but I might
try sleeping for a bit

Vintage Newbie

There are a lot of great turns of phrase on The Valley that made me really happy, but for some reason I get the biggest smile on "I Wish" when Stacy sings "You say you take the pain away/You say you take away the pain." I don't know why that little switch makes me so giddy--maybe because she gets the best of both worlds out of doubling the line. The first is a perfect rhyme but a slightly awkward expression, and the second is the same idea expressed just a bit more clearly. Masterful work. Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

oathmeal wrote:
"Bones crack and fingers blister I might console you, but look at my sisters, brilliant like fireflies up their bedroom."

This.

jamiga wrote:
"Baby, let's make this one count. I'll always be around, I wanna be with you forever."

This (plus the rest of that bridge and the subsequent guitar solo = one of my favorite parts of the album).

Saellys wrote:
"You say you take the pain away/You say you take away the pain."

And this.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
oathmeal wrote:
"Bones crack and fingers blister I might console you, but look at my sisters, brilliant like fireflies up their bedroom."

This.

Yep. Not quite sure what she means but it's still beautiful.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
uncreative wrote:
oathmeal wrote:

This.

Yep. Not quite sure what she means but it's still beautiful.

I figured it meant they were writing songs and playing guitar. My fingers always pop while playing guitar and fingers blister and callus while playing guitar, too. That's what I figured.

Also, this is my favorite line, as well. There's just something about it that I really love.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
minikeesh
Sea Post King

[quote="oathmeal"Bones crack and fingers blister I might console you, but look at my sisters, brilliant like fireflies up their bedroom." [/quote]

I love that line. Also:

"Fabulous teeth and a smile that'll melt your heart..." because my ex-boyfriend thought I had great teeth and a great smile and then he broke up with me.

plentypine
Sea Post King

I mentioned this in another thread, but I really like Stacy's "OK" at the beginning of Oxygen Mask. Every time I hear it I have to sing that OK. ha!
dangerous
Sea Post King

"God...given mind" I keep thinking Sherri's gonna say something else lol.