Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

and just 3 years ago I remember lots of folks on this board ragging on Sherri for over-emoting on the Combinations tour and it not flattering her... Neutral

sheesh.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I generally couldn't stand female rock vocals before I got into Eisley.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
and just 3 years ago I remember lots of folks on this board ragging on Sherri for over-emoting on the Combinations tour and it not flattering her... Neutral

sheesh.

Hehe, file as example #7612 under 'You Can't Win.'

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

theyre not totally anti-female vocals. i think they gave pj harvey a really high score and im not sure if they talk about female vocals at all.

i think what theyre thinking, but expressing the wrong way, is the heavy compression or possible even Auto-Tune tweeks on the album - something in spades on radio. one extreme example off the top of my head is whatever they did to sherris vocals on the Sad chorus. when she goes to the really high note it sounds unnatural. if someone can point me to a live video of Sad with really clear vocals and her voice sounds the same then i will say im hearing things.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That's cause PJ Harvey can sing like a man and was doing screamo before it was screamo (the studio version of Legs sounds even MORE tortured. That note halfway through the second post chorus, the long one that sounds like nails on the chalkboard, is even more guttural distorted )
so she doesn't hesitate to emote without restraint and will get a pass from most reviews, and extra credit when she does sing in the pretty American Idol style focused on being perfect, like on White Chalk that shocked so many people.

PJ Harvey has proven a person can evoke Patti Smith, Grace Slick, Ann Wilson, and Tori Amos successfully AND keep their audience if not expand it. So, in their eyes, with their standards on Female Vocals, she's sort of a benchmark, cause she did everything their asking before the would have been old enough to have a standard at all. It don't think it's an fair standard to hold anyone else up to. It's like expecting Tom Waites to sing like Jeff Buckley or Geddy Lee on a whim. Voices are distinct and unique, not everyone has an expansive range, nor should they.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

did some people from here leave all the "terrible/sexist," etc. comments? you have to remember these are not professional reviewers. overall they were positive and just the fact that they reviewed it was positive as it probably exposed some people to the band that dont hear about them from pitchfork, rolling stone or other youtube music reviewers like threecreation or the needle drop.

if someone came on this board and said more or less the same thing would reactions be different? when someone puts a face/video behind words does it make it more likely for you to respond more passionately than if it was just written?

im not saying its a great review or style of reviewing (one take reviews), but no one in my actual life talks about music i like, so when someone else is at least making conversation, i want that to exist.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

As far as Comments, not I, but... Their most vocal criticisms are gender specific, and don't have anything to do with the ability of the band, but the nature of their performances. They have a prejudice, and criticism is all about prejudice. But prejudice + gender = sexism, so it's no shock that the issue would come up, LC or not. Even a non-Eisley fan who's sensitive to the subject of gender equality would raise eyebrows to those comments of theirs. Reality or not, they're rooted in the same arguments a lot of blatant unrepentant sexists would use.

If they were criticizing Thom Yorke for singing like a girly queer it would be more obvious. But you know, I've heard that a lot from friends of mine, they have a thing against men who sing in High Tenors like Yorke, Jeremy Enigk, Aaron Marsh etc. Bono & Robert Plant might get a pass in some cases (or Axl Rose) but it's a bias some people have, and it has to do with who they perceive a Man or Woman should sound/ act, and which is better for whatever context we're talking about.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

my concert friend can rarely get into female fronted bands. the only record i can think of with a female vocalist that he told me he liked was Portishead - Third.

i think about high singing males, too. how odd it is that a man who can sing high in a range more generally occupied by female voices is really looked to be great, but real low male vocals are best known for gospel quartets (i guess?).

how many people cant get into the magnetic fields, the national, or the crash test dummies (ha) purely for the reason that they dont like low singing voices?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

So true, so very true. I don't mind low voices, it's more the style of singing & music that goes with it.

There are more Baritone and bass voices in Country, like Josh Turner for a contemporary star, Toby Keith is still big, but was huge 10 years ago, Trace Adkins (or is it Atkins???) and there's always Johnny Cash.

When I think of low voices I like Morphine, Chocolate Genius, and Chris Whitley, but the latter two could switch to falsetto at the drop of a hat too. I really liked Mark Lanegan's stuff with QOTSA. It's not easy to sing low and sound good. People don't like those extremes, too high or too low, with some exceptions.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:

When I think of low voices I like ...

Good ones, but you forgot about L.C., L.R. and, moreover,Andrew Eldritch (which I consider definitive) and Steve Kilbey.
(would mention Nick Cave as well, 'cept as he spent half his career ripping off Cash and Coen it would be a bit redundant)
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
(would mention Nick Cave as well, 'cept as he spent half his career ripping off Cash and Coen it would be a bit redundant)

Cave deserves a mention unto himself. Cash and Cohen were huge influences early on, but his style is distinct.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Good ones, but you forgot about L.C., L.R. and, moreover,Andrew Eldritch (which I consider definitive) and Steve Kilbey.

I know I omitted along cause I could have said this dude

or gone WAY BACK and mentioned this guy

and these folks

and this crew
but he was a rangey crooner too.

Brits have a pretty good foothold on the Baritone for some reason??? And that's not even broaching trip-hop, cause Tricky and Massive Attack come to immediate mind.

America's not shut out though. You're dead on about Lou Reed (& Nico) singing pretty low back in the day (and recently in Lou's case) and Iggy Pop on a good number of past and a ton of present tracks.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
inorbit wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

I know I omitted along cause I could have said this dude

or gone WAY BACK and mentioned this guy

and these folks

and this crew
but he was a rangey crooner too.

Brits have a pretty good foothold on the Baritone for some reason??? And that's not even broaching trip-hop, cause Tricky and Massive Attack come to immediate mind.

America's not shut out though. You're dead on about Lou Reed (& Nico) singing pretty low back in the day (and recently in Lou's case) and Iggy Pop on a good number of past and a ton of present tracks.

^^you are not blanking on LR any more!
...of course we could mention hundreds of people who sing in the lower (baritone or better) ranges... I just threw out a couple where its really "about the voice"- who's voices are particularly notable and well regarded.- those who come first to my mind if we are talking about deeper singing voices in popular music that are really compelling.

(imo, the guy from the Crash Test Dummies is an example of one that doesn't necessarily work so well.... doesn't bother me, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea).

I'm not sure about Ian Curtis... Joy division is a great band... his voice works well in that context, but if he were singing a piano ballad, would I say he had a great, compelling deep voice? dunno. JD is definitely on my list of great all-time bands, but I don't know if IC is on my list of great all-time voices quite so much. Eldritch and Kilbey, definitely.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
inorbit wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Good ones, but you forgot about L.C., L.R.

You're dead on about Lou Reed

^^you are not blanking on LR any more!

(imo, the guy from the Crash Test Dummies is an example of one that doesn't necessarily work so well.... doesn't bother me, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea).

I'm not sure about Ian Curtis... Joy division is a great band... his voice works well in that context, but if he were singing a piano ballad, would I say he had a great, compelling deep voice? dunno. JD is definitely on my list of great all-time bands, but I don't know if IC is on my list of great all-time voices quite so much. Eldritch and Kilbey, definitely.

L.R. :
Yeah, it just hit me, cause I thought of Lou right off the bat, and then thought about all the VU songs he doesn't sing in his lower register and disqualified him, which was stupid. I felt really dumb for typing his name all the way out after saying I didn't know who L. R. was Laughing So Obvious, right in front of my nose literally.

C.T.D. : I agree, he did have a very pure Bass voice, but it was just novelty, and i didn't bit either.

Ian Curtis & JD :

Maybe not the best technical singer of the Baritones we're throwing out there, but near one of the near Iconic ones. The influence he had at the turn of the Century on bands was a force of nature. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and when I heard Interpol & She Wants Revenge it was like outright impersonation. But people love em'.

So yeah, he was was no Sinatra, but he made his mark and created a "style" all his own.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

fyi - iggy pop was on Idol during rock week shirtless doing a 50/60's cover. not familiar with an IP studio albums.

same with Nick Cave. outside of Red Right Hand, im not familiar with his work. if i really like that song/type of arrangement, what album would you recommend?