Laughing City
eiswood09
Sea Post King

ks1990 wrote:
Catey wrote:
eiswood09 wrote:
Catey wrote:
Can't see it as I'm in the UK and MTV USA don't allow international viewing. Boooooooooo

Try using http://freeproxyserver.net/ Just enter the web address beside the go option. I couldn't watch either at first, so I tried using a proxy site and it worked! If it won't play, try refreshing a few times.

Still coming up telling me to goto MTV.co.uk :/

I watched it on here. It's kinda out of sync, but I'll take what I can get right now Laughing

MTV should really ease up on regional restrictions. It's like they hate foreigners or something Evil or Very Mad They do that on a lot of their videos. Racists! Well, at least it'll go on youtube next Tuseday Very Happy

Lost at Forum

ks1990 wrote:
Catey wrote:
eiswood09 wrote:
Catey wrote:
Can't see it as I'm in the UK and MTV USA don't allow international viewing. Boooooooooo

Try using http://freeproxyserver.net/ Just enter the web address beside the go option. I couldn't watch either at first, so I tried using a proxy site and it worked! If it won't play, try refreshing a few times.

Still coming up telling me to goto MTV.co.uk :/

I watched it on here. It's kinda out of sync, but I'll take what I can get right now Laughing

Oh it was in sync for me! Thank you! I liked the nice touch of the baby / memory box that Stacy had with the photos.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
Lynn
Golly, Poster

I live on the other side of the world from America, but for some reason the site had no problem with me watching it.
I liked the video. The song doesn't leave that much room for creativity, so I think it was pretty well done. I think that it's still Eisley and in many ways original and different from other videos with a similar theme or idea.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

That was one emo music video. Is the band still trying to crack that market? Is this video going to do what half a dozen tours with pop-punk bands could not? If so, that's cool and all, but I might have to check out for a while. I guess probability-wise, the next video will almost certainly be for a less "heavy" song that will offer more opportunities for creativity in a video. I hope.

olimario wrote:
Don't like the video.
There's no visual hook.
It's just walking and sitting.

It's pretty as all get-out, but yes, I get tired of plotlessness too.

mr pine wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:
finally a decent eisley video!

memories says hello

And "Invasion". And "Telescope Eyes" from the Room Noises era. And "Marvelous Things".

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eiswood09
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
That was one emo music video. Is the band still trying to crack that market? Is this video going to do what half a dozen tours with pop-punk bands could not? If so, that's cool and all, but I might have to check out for a while. I guess probability-wise, the next video will almost certainly be for a less "heavy" song that will offer more opportunities for creativity in a video. I hope.

olimario wrote:
Don't like the video.
There's no visual hook.

But, there is a plot. Sherri died, turned into a Zombie and walks (because that's what zombies do). Then, Stacy mourns her death and Zombie Sherri decides to join the band play a song at the Church for some reason.

Lost at Forum

I'm just glad they even made a video.
FrancescaEVR
Equal Vision Rules!

eiswood09 wrote:
Saellys wrote:

olimario wrote:
Don't like the video.
There's no visual hook.

But, there is a plot. Sherri died, turned into a Zombie and walks (because that's what zombies do). Then, Stacy mourns her death and Zombie Sherri decides to join the band play a song at the Church for some reason.

Haha pretty much! Sherri is wearing a wedding-esque dress... So, her marriage killed her, Stacy mourns and reminisces with old photos of the two of them from a happy time, and the band playing brings Sherri back to life. Also, the woods and the church should look familiar to anyone with a physical copy of the album. Wink
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

eiswood09 wrote:
Saellys wrote:

olimario wrote:
Don't like the video.
There's no visual hook.

I did pick up on the fact that Stacy was mourning Sherri, and not some other failed relationship. Unfortunately, two related events and some performance footage do not a plot make. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Crap, all these comments before I finished mine!!! Totally trumped me Mad Laughing

eiswood09 wrote:

Good analysis. I didn't even think about it that way. I'm so... old.

And so is anyone else who's crapping on this one. Razz

I see this as a reintroduction to the band. The focal Points are Sherri and Stacy in the eyes of the media. They front the band, so it's them by default. Personality wise, the video establishes Sherri and the tormented soul, and Stacy as the mournful & sentimental counterpart, and the other band members as their support, there when they need them. The left to right pan when Chauntelle's vocal kicks in was a nice touch, establishing her role up front from time to time, along with her sisters.

More than anything, I really like that the visuals of the Video tie directly to the album photography, sans Stacy's dark hair. We get Sherri with the Bouquet that evokes the cover, and then walking through the woods that resemble the one in the shots from the album, and the church sequence, which features Stacy in the front pew, as she is in the album art. Is that the same church though?

That connection to the album art is the visual hook if you ask me, that the video looks like a companion piece to it. Had there been a few more shots that connected Sherri's walk to the Church, bridging the two locales it might have flowed a little more, but it works all the same.

I really liked it, because, to me, it was a truncated Soderberg style approach. The principles have their own narratives that reconnect and bring the ensemble together. I think that did that in a subtle and effective way, even without the Zombie plot that I sort of tuned out because I was into the cinematography. All in all the video makes the songs feel even more cathartic and anthemic than it had in a while, which I like.

The other thing for me was that if the song is "Emo" it's only in the sense that it's Emotional. The idea that people can relate to the death of a relationship, and life continuing afterwards, with a person feeling like a shell of them self (been there, doing that) is universal. When you get to the point that everything that deals with emotional issues (love, pain, death) and portrays with artistic flair, and a keen sense of dramatic style as Emo and poo poo it, you're going to miss out on so much.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
That was one emo music video. Is the band still trying to crack that market?
Fits the song, he-he. And I thought that was a given...?
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

eiswood09 wrote:

wow, I really thought you were joking but you're absolutely right.

My first thought watching the video was "o snap, red hair."
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I see this as a reintroduction to the band... When you get to the point that everything that deals with emotional issues (love, pain, death) and portrays with artistic flair, and a keen sense of dramatic style as Emo and poo poo it, you're going to miss out on so much.

I guess I missed out on all that stuff and just saw yet another music video with girls in cute clothes moping while they sing a song, which is everything I hate in a music video, regardless of who is actually in it.

I can understand how Eisley would want to consider the new album a rebirth, starting over from scratch, and would want to reflect that with a more basic, "introduction" video. This is just leagues below what we know they're capable of accomplishing, and way less than this album (and yes, even this song) deserves.

[/unpopular opinion]

Smokemonster
Last edited by Saellys on Wed May 11, 2011 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
eiswood09
Sea Post King

golly andrew wrote:
eiswood09 wrote:

wow, I really thought you were joking but you're absolutely right.

My first thought watching the video was "o snap, red hair."

I thought I was joking too! But it turns out, my attempt at sarcasm created an accurate analysis Laughing Cool

Sea Post King

eiswood09 wrote:

THANK YOU!!! I was finally able to watch the video using that link, thanks! The video is great, I like Zombie Sherri Evil or Very Mad I also know now, don't ever mess with the Eisley clan, they'll write a song about you and make you look like an idiot Razz

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

well there's one more video suppose to be made before the end of the year. i'm hoping it'll be a stacy song since sherri has this one. if so, my hope would be either oxygen mask or ambulance, but oxygen mask more so cause i think they could do something really creative with it involving ocean imagery

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>