Laughing City
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

It seems that the Eisley that started with Laughing City and ended with Room Noises, is a different Eisley than the one commencing with Combinations. I know that people and bands must grow and not remain the same, lest they become stagnant, but I do miss that 'old' Eisely. Sad
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:
It seems that the Eisley that started with Laughing City and ended with Room Noises, is a different Eisley than the one commencing with Combinations. I know that people and bands must grow and not remain the same, lest they become stagnant, but I do miss that 'old' Eisely. Sad
Exactly this.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ I think there's still "old Eisley" on Combinations. It's sort of jacked up that the first song I think of as that type of tune gets bashed by folks: If You're Wondering But 10 Cent Blues, Go Away, Combinations, and Many Funerals Even Taking Control seems in character with it's main vocal refrain sounding a bit like a children's sing-along. But I'm thinking in terms of musical tones, as opposed to lyrical ideas. We've all got different sensibilities though.

When you measure a band's identity based on it's first maybe 15 songs (there were repeats on all the releases until you got to Combinations, you are going to get surprised along the way. If that's our measure, than EP 1 & 2 Eisley ended with Laughing City's release because that was the beginning of the "toning down" of their sound to something less consistently raw.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

The version of "Over the Mountains" on this EP is probably my favorite song of all time. No joke. At least, it's tied with New Order's version of "Ceremony."

http://inconnumag.com
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

@Wil

I can see that, but the production was so over-the-top cheesy, which was a huge deviation even from Room Noises. I just listened to it for the first time since probably 2007 and it sounds like it's cut from a [touching] scene in a '70s family-oriented musical.

I think Combinations was kind of their awkward teenage phase, where they were on the right track, but hadn't really fully grasped their Adult identities yet, and were heavily influenced by outside sources. I think before that, having been sheltered and inexperienced, and enveloped in their respective dream worlds, they were very unaffected, which is a big part of what I miss. They've come a very long way, though. Going back and listening to Room Noises, then skipping to The Valley, it's hard to believe they're the same band vocally at times.

As for their edge, when they started to soften it, I still enjoyed it, but referred to that initial era as "Elevator Eisley." I'd always preferred their darker, edgier songs, which is a complete 180 from how I feel about them today. I'd rather have Stacy's piano-driven tunes than their latest rock interpretations, like Many Funerals, A Sight to Behold, Better Love (though I do like this song), and so on. I mean, listen to any of those songs and then go back and listen to the original Head Against the Sky.

What's great about them is that they've proven they can do both, but there's elements about their early sound that I miss so much, I'd probably trade them for Stacy's ridiculous vocal improvement, which is saying a lot, because she's really become one of my favorite female singers over the past few years.

@MarshKing'sDaughter

Wow, really? Shocked

New Order - Ceremony (Original 7")

Eisley - Over the Mountains

Are you sure? Laughing

It's one of Eisley's greats, no doubt about that, but I don't think it comes close to touching any of the versions of Ceremony, including the super-muffled JD one, but maybe I'm a tad biased.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
@Wil

the production was so over-the-top cheesy...

Going back and listening to Room Noises, then skipping to The Valley, it's hard to believe they're the same band...at times.

As for their edge, when they started to soften it, I... referred to that initial era as "Elevator Eisley." I'd always preferred their darker, edgier songs...

Many Funerals, A Sight to Behold, Better Love (I like these songs), and so on. I mean, listen to any of those songs and then go back and listen to the original Head Against the Sky.*

What's great about them is that they've proven they can do both, but there's elements about their early sound that I miss so much, I'd probably trade them for Stacy's ridiculous vocal improvement, which is saying a lot, because she's really become one of my favorite female singers over the past few years.

I mangled your text to concoct my opinion out of your opinion Laughing

* That's the one major deviation for me: HATS is great, but it and Sunfeet, as great as they are, stick out like sore thumbs now. Great songs, but they've got a groove, almost hip hop (slower mid 90s East coast cerebral backpacker stuff) vibe to the bass lines and grooves. DJ Premier type stuff for those who get where I'm coming from. I like the sound, but it's a little dated and they've totally moved on from it, which is good for their careers.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i know i am as guilty of this as the rest of you but need i remind you that this thread is about the EP laughing city, NOT about how the band has changed over the years.

that being said, (here I go now) good bands change.
imagine if the beatles stayed playing song like the ones on please please me (which are the o nes that made them famous) instead of growning and making music that was more introspective.
now I know Eisley are not the beatles, but the point still stands.
they were kids from ep1 to RM.
combinations and the valley are more grown up albums because they are grown up.
Sherri has been married. twice. she has been through heartbreak. It makes sense she is going to write about that instead of dragons now.
in the past when stacy dreamed of ladys of the wood, she now dreams of her husband. it happens.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh I thought the subject of the thread was:

Eight Years Later

and the "A retrospective on the Laughing City EP" was an independent clause.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

Eight Years Later

are you being snarky mr smith? Wink

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Wow, 8 years. This was around a very memorable time in my life. Just moved back to Texas late 2002. Got a "temp" job in March in Tyler(which just ended 5/13/11). Around May they had me working in Kilgore. I'm pretty sure, confirmed by looking at the receipt I saved inside, that I wanted to hear the EP so badly I drove to the mall in Tyler Tuesday night only to get there a little late. The receipt shows I bought it at 10:28am the next morning, so I may have had class in Tyler and picked it up before or after. It was $7.99 at FYE. This was also around the time the Iraq War started and I found a used copy of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. I seem to remember Hail to the Thief leaking around this time, too. I'll try and listen and talk about the music if the thread is still around when I'm at a computer.

p.s. Funny thing looking at Stacy on the back pic, doesn't she almost look like she's sagging her jeans with black boxers showing? ha. And what about Sherri's goofy smile inside?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

9 years is pretty good for a temp job my friend. Sort of like being President of the United States.

mr pine wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Eight Years Later

are you being snarky mr smith? Wink

maybe a little Razz

by the way, best price on Amazon for Laughing City $.89 in good condition.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

tahruh wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:
Exactly this.

Yes, I agree. I can't completely place what it is, but there's something I definitely miss. Maybe it's the slight eeriness/beauty of the old stuff, but I don't think it's just about the style. Of course, if they hadn't change, it's possible we'd be complaining that after so many years, all their albums sound the same and there's no growth. Laughing

About the Laughing City EP, I actually found it a few years ago at a Borders store! Cool It was way after I found Room Noises, and their earlier mp3s, but once I found the physical , one was used).

Anyway, with the music: I heard this AFTER I heard the other versions of pretty much all of the songs. As a result, these were mostly just cool “alternative takes.” As songs, I love the combinations. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I, too, would go walking in park and totally escape into the atmosphere that “Over the Mountains” or “Tree Tops,” create. “Laughing City” is another one that is simple, but moved me for some reason. Recorded version, I like the faster one from EP2 (because I heard that first), but I think the slow acoustic version tops both! I just remember taking a long time to figure out who did what parts during the chorus! It amuses me now. Very Happy
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
9 years is pretty good for a temp job my friend. Sort of like being President of the United States.

The company likes to hire people as 'temps' or "as needed basis,' but then actually make them work almost full-time - maybe a lot of companies do this just to avoid giving benefits like health insurance (I know of someone who got hired on at Wal-Mart recently and they try to work her right at the 40 hr/wk limit). We had another 'temp' that somehow could work over 40 and even get Overtime, yet somehow she still did not qualify for benefits? That still doesn't seem legal to me.

Back on topic:

I listened through LC EP a few times.

Does that weird 'glitch' around 2:30 on Telescope Eyes stick out to anyone else? I want to say that song may even have some studio chatter if you listen closely.

Other than the TE retread and the reverse cymbals or guitar noise going into the chorus of Treetops (I think it's on that song), this is a nice EP.

That distorted breakdown on Mountains is still bad*** as all get out.

I believe crowds would always cheer loudly for Stacy's bit on Treetops "uhh-hhh," especially on the second one where she goes higher. I believe this is the song they said they found Chris Martin playing one time and may have even videoed it, but Boyd wasn't sure he could share it - this needs to be seen if I am remembering correctly!

And Laughing City (the song)...I really enjoyed this today. That harmony on "be sore" is hair raising. I forgot how nicely that sounded, and am surprised it has dropped off. I want to say that song is the one that Sherri said she thought sounded too much like a Travis song - maybe the last one from The Man Who - maybe he says "hold on, hold on" or something. I don't remember it being blatant or anything.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

On the temp-to-hire going unhired situation: You are right, it's not illegal, but it is unethical, and companies do it often. P/T can work overtime without benefits, you don't have to hire them full time to get away with that.

On Topic:

That makes 2 LC vets mentioning the Chris Martin - Tree Tops cover, I could really see him singing the Chorus falsetto, it fits his timbre and style of singing now that I think about it.

The Hook of LC, the "Hold On, Hold On", didn't know there was that issue, but I think you're right about the Travis parallel. The song is Slide Show I would have never thought of that. Good insight/ memory.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I think she may have said that on Xanga. I don't see the use of "hold on" twice in a row as taking from anything. Wilson Phillips had the hit, Hold On, and I'm sure others have done it as it is not a unique phrase.

On Treetops Sherri is kinda singing out of tune on the "I did not care" parts, right? Then again, if someone writes a song technically it is however they choose to sing it.

Xanga was always the best format for Sherri sharing things imo. One really great thing was the Listening/Watching you could pick for each entry, so I checked out some bands from that. I think I checked out the first Shins, Ryan Adams Love is Hell, Decemberists second, Iron and Wine, and probably more largely influenced by that.