Laughing City
happyface
Sea Post King

Yeah, somebody posted some thread about Eisley's image "problem" some time around. And here I am posting some of it again.
Last time I posted about how I didn't really mind about Eisley's image. But, it came to my mind that maybe Eisley should get a bit more variated. I'm not talking about clothing or their music (we all know this has changed well and it can keep on changing if they want to because it's awesome). I think I'm talking about their album art, promotions, the sites...I kind of find this has all been stuck on the same style for years now. Nothing against Eisley's personality (big difference). I'm just saying most bands usually change their comercial art with every new album as a new way of expression, a new feeling. I hope you guys understand me. I just felt like bringing this up. I have nothing against Eisley's way, I really like them. But, I guess I'm just used to all the variety of other bands and artists when it comes to promotion and stuff. This is constructive.
Joined: 23 Aug 2009 | Posts: 251 | Location: The Gold City, Puerto Rico
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I know what you're saying, but it's far from being a problem. Boyd's strength is branding, and he's been presenting a consistent look and feel in Eisley's art for over ten years now. Yet each album and EP cover is distinctive and vibrant in ways lesser artists can only envy.

Other bands may hold on to a particular font for their name but have wildly different cover art with each album cycle--Muse is a good example, as they've been using the capital letters between horizontal bars ever since Showbiz. Other bands use a recognizable element like that for a few years and then "reinvent" their music as well as their identity, like Coldplay (probably for the better, but that remains to be seen). And then there are bands like U2 that do something different every single album, with very mixed results.

Given the choice between risking an Eisley album cover as pitiful as U2's October or seeing the same font, dreamy collages, and Photoshop overlays of Sherri drawings every time there's a new album, I'll take the latter any day. Eisley's "brand" is saturated with their personality and style. If they feel like taking the next EP or album cover in a different direction, that's cool, but I wouldn't trade what we've seen so far for anything.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I agree, Saellys. One thing about this, is that I don't feel like Eisley's album covers are really all that similar. Yeah, they have Sherri's drawings, but most of the layouts are quite different from each other. Now, the MT EP and the RN cover are kind of similar, but just being that there's the band or person surrounded by art and other things.

I think The Valley is a very different step in direction with their artwork, however, I kind of miss Sherri's quirky drawings incorporated into the album cover. I think it's their signature. That's my opinion, anyway.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Shadow Mouse
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
I know what you're saying, but it's far from being a problem. Boyd's strength is branding, and he's been presenting a consistent look and feel in Eisley's art for over ten years now. Yet each album and EP cover is distinctive and vibrant in ways lesser artists can only envy.

Totally agree. Eisley's image is awesome the way it is. Cool
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Shadow Mouse wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Totally agree. Eisley's image is awesome the way it is. Cool

I couldn't agree with you more, don't mess with the great formula and the amazing, unique, and wonderful art

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I do wish there was a bit more variety in the merch department, personally.
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
I do wish there was a bit more variety in the merch department, personally.

My dad always wants to buy a shirt at concerts but he thinks they are all too girly.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'm thinking an actual picture of the band on a cover again would appease some folks.

As for merch, I think it comes off more youth oriented than Girly. They have a lot of earth tones and neutral colors, but design wise there might be a stigma against the ornate sketches and Tim Burtonesque styling. But I think that's the case with ANY band. You have to suspend a certain amount of self-consciousness to be walking promo art for a band you like.

I think the Black hoodie with the Faceless heads was a wicked piece.

I think a Icon or logo that was more ambiguous might please a lot of people. Something along an Emblem, like bring back the Moss Eisely E on the center of a shirt A la' most super heroes, would probably score big across both genders.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Something along an Emblem, like bring back the Moss Eisely E on the center of a shirt A la' most super heroes, would probably score big across both genders.

I have to admit that I would love another E logo shirt. Mine disintegrated ages ago.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

They should do a MossEisley memory lane shirt

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Something along an Emblem, like bring back the Moss Eisely E on the center of a shirt A la' most super heroes, would probably score big across both genders.

I have to admit that I would love another E logo shirt. Mine disintegrated ages ago.

I'd buy in a heartbeat. Which says something 'cause I'm beyond broke at the moment. Haha.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was slumming last night watching Wipeout and then Master Chef came on, and I noticed the Logo on their Aprons:

90 degrees Counter Clockwise & I'd say somebody owes Mr. Dupree some royalties if he's not getting any.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I was slumming last night watching Wipeout and then Master Chef came on, and I noticed the Logo on their Aprons:

90 degrees Counter Clockwise & I'd say somebody owes Mr. Dupree some royalties if he's not getting any.

The old MossEisley logo was an M in a circle which got rotated to be the E when the name changed. But I'd say this one is not suable.

Smokemonster
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I say Suable.

I'd post a link to the Moss Eisley Logo SYP has but, all you'd see was little sherri screaming on a merry go round. Use your imagination instead. The only alteration is instead of a complete Circle they use a concentric swirled line/ incomplete circle. The Font of the M/E is precisely the same.

Now for all I know Mr. Durpree actually did this design and just mined his own ideas to expedite execution? Laughing

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

The logo is significantly different.

And the letter typefaces are significantly different.