Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

How do you feel about eating meat?
Meh, meat is meat, I'll eat whatever.
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
It bothers me but I don't really know what to do about it.
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
I only eat grass fed, free range meat and don't support the commerical meat industry
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I don't eat any meat at all.
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 29

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
[But, since you asked, Masanobu Fukuoka was one staunch advocate of a diet consisting only of locally available in-season crops,

he never lived in a midwest winter then. where the only inseason crop is pine cones and yellow snow.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
whew! I thought you had me cold right there Laughing

Saved by the yardbird.

I should have said what I thought the point was before I went and tried to get to it:

I thought the point was, as implied by Tahruh's evidence about jawbones and digestion vs. Olimario's arguments about malnutrition, that by nature, Humans are predisposed to be best served by one particular diet or another. Meat being a part of that diet is under debate. So I'm just trying to strip back the argument to that, what works best based on our natural biological condition sans our ability to manipulation it with science.

I see what you're saying. For me, it comes down to what our earliest ancestors may or may not have done. I expect there was a time before we knew how to hunt or trap with any efficiency, during which foraging was all we could manage, and we survived enough generations to develop the skills necessary to incorporate meat regularly into our diets. Someone with an anthropology degree could probably contribute a lot more to that facet of the conversation.

As far as a natural predisposition toward wanting meat, someone once told me that meat is an acquired taste. Sounds like a pretty pseudoscientific blanket statement (all meat? Really?), but I can say that there have been times in my life, and more of those times than others, when I couldn't stand the thought of red meat or chicken or even fish. Pregnancy has brought some serious steak cravings with it, but I've also been craving beer, so what does my body know? Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

They've broken pregnancy cravings down to being basic needs for nutrients. To the extent of women wanting to eat dirt cause the were having an iron deficiency. Weird right? But what does beer have besides calories, carbonation, fermentation, and the consistency of liquid (warm or cold)? I'm not one to ask, not liking beer at all and all that...

Oh, and though I may not seem it, I was 2 latin classes from my oh so undistinguished degrees in Sociology & Anthropology (Combined Major at my time of enrollment, but separate in the past, and separated again my senior year, those pricks), and a 2nd BA in Communications. I finished Comm at another school, as well as a language requirement satisfying 13 hours in Spanish. So yeah, had I transferred said hours into Truman and never attended another university, thus invoking a 28 hour residency requirement to receive my degree... I would be 50% of that Anthro major. Sebas is your guy in my stead. But If I were in a nostalgic mood I'd go dig up all my notes from back in the day and break down how our human ancestors and early primates were omnivores even before they had stone tools, as they at bugs and other easy to obtain critters, and in some cases, other primates. Ape shall kill ape after all.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
They've broken pregnancy cravings down to being basic needs for nutrients. To the extent of women wanting to eat dirt cause the were having an iron deficiency. Weird right? But what does beer have besides calories, carbonation, fermentation, and the consistency of liquid (warm or cold)? I'm not one to ask, not liking beer at all and all that...

Brewer's yeast is very high in magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, biotin, and B vitamins (says Wikipedia). Doctors and midwives often recommend calcium/magnesium supplements to combat muscle cramps, soreness, and swelling during pregnancy.

Early in my pregnancy I craved wheat beer. For the last two months I've wanted nothing but porters and stouts, really dark stuff like New Belgium's 1554. Dark beer contains more iron, and I think that's chiefly what I want as far as nutrients are concerned. Like I said, I've been craving steak too. My iron levels dropped during my pregnancy, as they are wont to do, but fortunately not to the point where I became anemic.

Once or twice a week, Aaron and I split a bottle of 1554. Don't tell my midwife! Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Beer beats Dirt!

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LBICPEK6w

I find this video completely appropriate and hilarious.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I'm actually not that big of a fan of red meat. Sometimes, I like it, like when I eat burgers and I love burgers, but I actually can't stand steak unless it's an amazing steak. I love chicken, turkey, and some fish. I'm trying to get off of red meat completely because it's really not that great for you. I'm actually trying to get vegan/vegetarian habits instilled in me and eat really healthy, even though, I won't be a vegan or vegetarian, not that I'm opposed to eating a majority of what they do.

I am, however, really against cow's milk. Call me crazy, but at least half of my friends have been finding out they're lactose intolerant, including myself. You can get more calcium in a half of cup of broccoli than you can in a glass of milk. I've been trying to completely make the switch from cow's milk to almond/rice/coconut milk. I won't do soy milk because, despite what everyone says, it's really not that great for you.

I've also been trying to cut out all soft cheeses because they're pasteurized more than hard cheeses. Sorry, way off topic.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
norad
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
I'm actually not that big of a fan of red meat. Sometimes, I like it, like when I eat burgers and I love burgers, but I actually can't stand steak...

This. Streak makes me feel sick to my stomach but burgers are yummy. Pork always makes me feel sick too. Must be some Jewish thing ha.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

i'm With you guys. My thing is the longer it takes to chew the less i like meat because once the flavor is gone I honestly get nauseated by it. Explains why i like the meat I do in the fashions they are seasoned/ flavored & prepared.

Milk, i widdled my self down from 2% to skim, & now everything feels like cream in comparison & feels filmy. The almond, soy, & rice milk i've had seem to be going for the consistency or whole milk which tastes like unsalted butter that's been melted as far as I'm concerned.

If you go on about cheese a wine thread will probably follow.

Last edited by wilsmith on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
I've also been trying to cut out all soft cheeses because they're pasteurized more than hard cheeses. Sorry, way off topic.

Sure, if you buy American. Imported soft cheese is the best. None of that sterilizing crap for the French! Wink

I don't drink milk and haven't for years--I'm probably lactose intolerant by now simply by virtue of abstinence. I certainly don't like the taste, and if there's not enough sweet stuff to balance it out in smoothies and milkshakes I get kind of disgusted. Rice milk is so much tastier.

Smokemonster
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

@Nora Yes, I can't stand pork, either. It's so gross to me. Unless it's bacon. I can do bacon.

@Wil Rice milk is pretty thin, honestly. And it's really tasty. Coconut milk is fairly thin, as well. Almond milk is thicker, but Silk's Dark Chocolate Almond Milk is seriously a thing to be desired, for me. It's wonderful.

@Saellys I don't like milk, either. Well, cow's milk. And yeah, I hear ya about the cheese, I just don't have the money to shell out for the pricey, better cheeses. Sad day.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

this explains everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bps-xbo8wnA

when i grow up, im going to bovine university!

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It doesn't Explain Bacon as well as this though

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
It doesn't Explain Bacon as well as this though

true.

this is a true story.

last week my oldest daughter asked me where chicken comes from.

i said "first they cut the chickens head off."
and thats as far as i got, because the water works started.

apparently the truth is too scary.

wilsmith wrote:

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Next time start with: "An egg."

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>