Laughing City
<< prev | goto page

How do you feel about eating meat?
Meh, meat is meat, I'll eat whatever.
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
It bothers me but I don't really know what to do about it.
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
I only eat grass fed, free range meat and don't support the commerical meat industry
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I don't eat any meat at all.
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 29

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
It doesn't Explain Bacon as well as this though

true.

this is a true story.

last week my oldest daughter asked me where chicken comes from.

i said "first they cut the chickens head off."
and thats as far as i got, because the water works started.

apparently the truth is too scary.
What a jerk.

My second grade teacher told us while watching Babe, I think. Something to do with Babe, because I remember not eating my bologna sandwich that day, and any meat at all for quite a few weeks after.
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Next time start with: "An egg."

Dude. The chicken TOTALLY came first.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

freakinalex wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

*That annoying sound that signifies your answer is incorrect*.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

freakinalex wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

So... the rooster gets a second date?
sorry... couldn't help it.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
freakinalex wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

This is the post we've been waiting for...?

In any case, everyone should remember that nice guys do finish last.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

I was vegan for a while, and vegetarian for even longer, but I haven't been one for a while. Personally, I had a hard time really sticking to the diet unless I filled it with lots of artificial "meat substitutes" (veggie dogs, veggie burgers, veggie cheese, etc), and after a while I just decided that it would be healthier for me to be eating real food, and that means meat (while you can easily get the proper nutrition from artificially fortified vegetable products, like the veggie dogs, it's almost impossible to reliably get all the proper nutrition from the “natural” vegetables you find in the produce section.) Having said that, I absolutely prefer for the meat to be raised as naturally and humanely as possible, and do my best to eat organic, grass fed, etc. However, it's not always as easy as it sounds, and if I have the choice of getting industrial meat or nothing, I'll usually go with the industrial meat, as long as it's fresh and of good quality.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
inorbit wrote:
freakinalex wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

And rude girls interrupt guys and don't let them finish at all.

/easily executed double entendres that ring true.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

I was a Vegetarian for 3.5 years, and now I've been Vegan for the past year. It wasn't so hard to give up meat, 'cause I really only ever ate chicken, haha. But, cutting out dairy was a bit more difficult as it's in everything I ever loved! I'm doing fine, though - I make my much needed trips to DC to two great Vegan/Vegetarian friendly places (Bus Boys and Poets, & Sticky Fingers (all vegan and amazing)!!) to get my fix of big yummy foods that I'm far too pathetic/lazy to make for myself.

We will see how long I'm vegan for. Right now it works for me. If I study abroad, though I don't think I will because I'll want to try too many things! However, I don't see myself every craving meat again. Just seems too foreign to me now.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
tahruh wrote:
inorbit wrote:
freakinalex wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

And rude girls interrupt guys and don't let them finish at all.

/easily executed double entendres that ring true.
One of which is not a legitimate issue...

Laughing

Bye.

@Kylee

I was a vegan for awhile, but it was rather difficult. I was pretty young, though. I'd like to go totally overboard and be a raw foodist (?) someday. I was reading some interesting research on how these monkeys in captivity were being fed cooked foods and started to lose their ability to produce a certain enzyme that breaks down cellulose, so the scientist couldn't help but speculate if our proclivity towards such foods perhaps played a part in our loss of said ability. Maybe I'll get mine back! Kidding, that's not how it works, but such a diet does seem to be beneficial.

And yeah, it's totally foreign to me, as well. I don't know about you, but I always seem to end up in conversation with that one jerk who likes to pose hypothetical disaster scenarios, like being forced to choose between eating an animal (like your dog) or starving to death. It's like being asked would I eat a friend (or child, if we're talking dogs) or be happy I didn't have to go alone!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I should have just said "stop with the puns/ euphemisms." and not tried to be clever and throw one out. Oh well, had it coming.

Back to Meat:

So, who else throws their oh so thoughtful diet considerations out the window when they visit their parents, grand parents etc?

Every meal at my mother's house last week had dead animal as the main course. Meanwhile at my house I only have frozen boneless chicken breasts and tilapia i'm too lazy to defrost and cook. For a few of those meals they didn't even cook veggies.

I kept track when I visited, even when I didn't sneak a bite for old times sake:

Meat Loaf
Chicken & Pork Steaks
Polish Sausage
Roast Beef

If I don't visit them when they're eating dinner I am usually pretty much a vegetarian, unless I start getting Chinese or pizza at for lunch at work. Then it gets really hard to pass up some of my favorites.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Never. My family's gotten more accommodating as the years have gone by. I do tend to feel a little bad when I go to someone's house and they made something I can't (won't, I suppose) eat and then feel bad about having assumed, but that's as far as that goes.
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

@Kylee

I was a vegan for awhile, but it was rather difficult. I was pretty young, though. I'd like to go totally overboard and be a raw foodist (?) someday. I was reading some interesting research on how these monkeys in captivity were being fed cooked foods and started to lose their ability to produce a certain enzyme that breaks down cellulose, so the scientist couldn't help but speculate if our proclivity towards such foods perhaps played a part in our loss of said ability. Maybe I'll get mine back! Kidding, that's not how it works, but such a diet does seem to be beneficial.

If I ever go back to just being a Vegetarian, I'd definitely like to go the raw foodist diet as well! An old friend of mine (Vegan) became one after returning from India - wish I knew how she was getting on with that, because it seems like quite the stretch.

tahruh wrote:

And yeah, it's totally foreign to me, as well. I don't know about you, but I always seem to end up in conversation with that one jerk who likes to pose hypothetical disaster scenarios, like being forced to choose between eating an animal (like your dog) or starving to death. It's like being asked would I eat a friend (or child, if we're talking dogs) or be happy I didn't have to go alone!

It's the most ridiculous, the absolute most childish and annoying argument to have with people. I don't mind discussing my personal eating lifestyle (?) but I don't like being ridiculed or being thrown stupid scenarios. The other night I made Buffalo (V)Chicken Wings and they were shaped like real ones. My friend made the comment, as he always does, that he didn't understand why Vegans or Vegetarians ate food that looked like the real thing, because "wasn't the point" that we didn't like to eat things that were meat, so we shouldn't want something that mimicked it? True. However, WHO CARES!? It's not real, so shut up. I had some "beef jerky" that apparently smelled like the real thing, tasted like the real thing so they were all freaked out as to why I was down with eating it. Because it tastes good, duh! I don't miss ...meat, I don't miss... my flavored turkey lunch slices. I miss the TASTE. The flavors. Which is what the fake meats do, I think. Trying to get that point across was completely impossible. Exhausting.

tahruh wrote:
I do tend to feel a little bad when I go to someone's house and they made something I can't (won't, I suppose) eat and then feel bad about having assumed, but that's as far as that goes.

That's when I feel like a major annoyance, too. But it's one of those things where if they give me crap, or make me feel guilty about it, I just think to myself (or maybe share) that, 'Hey, I didn't ask you to make me anything!!' haha. Regardless, in the end I feel like a snotty b!tch.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

@wil: My eating habits definitely change when I'm at my grandmas' houses. They make some super fatty meals that I would never dream of making for myself... but turning down my grandmas' food would be like treason. Laughing

@kylee/tahruh: You guys shouldn't ever feel bad for turning down people's food! Almost everyone has altered their diet at some point, and knows it is important to stick to that diet. I mean, food is a big deal. What we eat is what we are, literally.

Sometimes I forget my vegan friends when cooking, and I feel bad. It must just be human nature to feel guilty for everything.

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
It must just be human nature to feel guilty for everything.

Laughing so true. I have been fed guilt soup my whole life.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I was a Pescetarian (fish, no other meat) off and on for a few years. I've gone back and forth with it, but always felt guilty when I did go back to eating meat (Oh, the power of taste.)

What I've personally settled on is just eating meat VERY rarely. I'm Jewish and only eat kosher meat anyway (which, though it is SUPPOSED to be more humane, is pretty much just as bad from what I've heard,) but that means I don't and never have eaten at any of the big chains (i.e. ANY fast food or restaurant you can think of, or any of the big brands like Tyson and Hillshire farms.) The only time I buy meat (especially red meat) is if I'm really, really craving it, which is probably once a month.

I strongly believe that one can be perfectly (if not more) healthy with an animal product free diet. I've started trying to cut out dairy more, and I do want to cut out meat again at some point, but I would say if you can't get yourself to cut it out completely then to just eat it only on special occasions... that way you can also justify spending extra money on free range/grass fed, meat when you do eat it.

There really is no reason to eat meat the way people do now a days... bacon and sausage at breakfast, deli sandwiches for lunch, pizza with pepperoni and sausage for dinner... steaks, burgers, bacon on EVERYTHING. The meat industry is stuffing these animal products down our throats, anything that can have meat will. It's really repulsive, not to mention extremely unhealthy.

<< prev | goto page