Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Are you a midnight (or any other time) toker?
Marijuana smoke has never entered my lungs.
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
I've tried it once or twice.
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
I used to, but not anymore.
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
I'm an occasional social smoker.
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 26

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

@Wil
The ones who either think they're high (off of one or two hits that they probably didn't even inhale) or aware they're not high but under the influence of their peers who are... Both are funny, but probably more-so the former.

And sorry, but I'm not convinced the DSM-IV is canon. That said, I'm pretty sure by their standards, it's on the low end, beneath coffee (hopefully...caffeine is actually addictive and can kill you if one were to overdose). It doesn't induce any physical or psychological dependence; i.e., no withdrawals and no compulsive cravings.

Also, that's terrible re: assumption you were dealing!

@Cendrillion
Do you go to BYU?
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

Newp. I'm not even Mormon or a fundamentalist Christian!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Quick and disorganized responses, in no particular order:

1) DSM IV is a sales and marketing tool. Nothing more.

2) So Taruh, I've got to know, are you associating your relative's time at ASU with his drug consumption or his right wing tendancies?

3) No Amsterdam does not do it right; cannabis is still over-regulated and technically illegal there.

4) The legal status of cannabis is, imo, entirely political and has never made any sense, especially in a world where far more addictive and damaging substances are freely marketed (i.e. alcohol, tobacco, and even caffeine). The absurdity of incarcerating people for possessing and doing whatever with a naturally occurring plant is astounding, and very sad when the impact on (mostly young) lives is considered.

5) As for the survey, I'm a "used to". Between West London and finishing H.S. at boarding school in socal, weed was among the more innocuous of the recreational activities popular at the time. Lets not even talk about undergrad. Probably overdid it a bit at various times, and I don't recommend that either. Haven't for many years because of the the legal status and risk involved. I like what I do and like to think it is contributory, and wouldn't want to jeopardize it. I mostly did it for the sake of sociability, frankly though. I'd probably do it occasionally if it were legal, but its not really my poison. Always made me groggy a bit too soon afterwards. And when indulging under risky circumstance (i.e. at boarding school, particularly), I found myself a bit prone to paranoia, which cramped the enjoyment somewhat.

6) While nowhere near as harmful as, say, immoderate alcohol consumption, there is some fairly concrete recent evidence that particularly overuse of cannabis does have some specific health consequences, some of which are neurological. As excess of anything usually does. Compared to alcohol (or several other things), though, its relatively rare that people do things they later seriously regret, become violent, surly or obnoxious, or otherwise act out in undesirable ways while stoned. The potential for negative social impact is pretty minimal, comparatively. While I'm sure tragedies have occurred, from what I can tell the most frequent impact of cannabis intoxication on driving is delay of traffic due to excessive caution (compare, again, to alcohol).

7) I continue to be surprised by the number of older (middle aged +) people in responsible positions who will confess to enjoying a puff now and again, despite the legal risk.

8: Wil, I've never associated the "one black guy at the party" with weed, particularly.

9) I have seen people who are prone to excess, escapism, or generally compulsive addictive behavior patterns wreck their live on weed. Its not going to kill you, but its not going to get your homework done, either. Then again, I've seen people wreck their lives on windsurfing or rock climbing too (although the lack of independent variation between overindulgence in those activities and weed make the separate identification of their effects difficult Laughing -that said, I've broken my leg climbing, but never smoking weed).

10) Mormons are a funny lot though... that dodgy montana ID polaroid I posted a while ago was organized by a mormon housemate who was doing brisk business in that line with no compunction. He never drank though.

11) @ Pine.... Shocked . Don't know what else to say.
----
edit...
looks like meat's going to have to wait... its late... tired... 'night lc.
Last edited by inorbit on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 7 times in total
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

I have never smoked pot, and have absolutely no plans or interest in doing so, but I think it should certainly be legalized, as should all other consensual acts. I do find it funny, though, the sort of person who says "We should legalize it, then tax and regulate it!" Like, why can't we legalize pot, and not tax or regulate it? Why does every $#@! thing have to be taxed and regulated?! It almost makes me feel like the only reason “progressives” want to legalize pot is that they've run out of things to tax and regulate!
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I've never smoked it. I know what it smells like because my cousin in a drug dealer and does a lot of drugs, all the time. Now, I have smoked cigarettes and did it when I was a kid, actually. I was a very crazy child.

I've had alcohol before and I gotta say, I hate beer. It tastes like pee, and believe me, I'd know. (My brother tricked me into drinking urine when I was little. He told me it was Sprite and he, apparently, had the clearest pee I'd ever seen.) I really enjoy Blackberry Wine and Blueberry Wine. Grape wines, I'm not really a fan of, but they're not horrible.

I don't actually drink at all now. I used to have sips of different alcohols but I don't much anymore. I had a Sangria when I was like 10 or something and, if I were to become an alcoholic, that'd be my poison. My grandpa made some and I tried it. I loved it, honestly. I've only been drunk once and I will never do it again. It was horrible and I have no idea why people like it.

I actually have no idea where I stand on alcohol at the moment. I'm not for it, so much, but I'm not really against it (in moderation) either.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Quick and disorganized responses, in no particular order:
2) So Taruh, I've got to know, are you associating your relative's time at ASU with his drug consumption or his right wing tendancies?
Ugh, stop with "Taruh." The worst possible way one could pronounce my name! Laughing
Maybe a bit of both? Mostly the former, though. Why? Did you go to ASU? Laughing

inorbit wrote:
3) No Amsterdam does not do it right; cannabis is still over-regulated and technically illegal there.
Okay. But is it legal anywhere? Seems like I should know this one... But I don't.

inorbit wrote:
4) The legal status of cannabis is, imo, entirely political and has never made any sense, especially in a world where far more addictive and damaging substances are freely marketed (i.e. alcohol, tobacco, and even caffeine). The absurdity of incarcerating people for possessing and doing whatever with a naturally occurring plant is astounding, and very sad when the impact on (mostly young) lives is considered.
Not so much an opinion as it is fact. Well, partially. It's illegal for many reasons, really, none of which are valid (many industries lobby against it--like alcohol). Marijuana is considered (or at least should be) a pejorative because it's the spanish word for cannabis, which was used as a fear-mongering tool because most people were unaware this scary "marihuana" thing, that was supposedly making minorities crazy, was actually the cannabis they'd been familiar with and knew was not a drug that induced violence; that its effects were the exact opposite.

inorbit wrote:
9) I have seen people who are prone to excess, escapism, or generally compulsive addictive behavior patterns wreck their live on weed. Its not going to kill you, but its not going to get your homework done, either. Then again, I've seen people wreck their lives on windsurfing or rock climbing too (although the lack of independent variation between overindulgence in those activities and weed make the separate identification of their effects difficult Laughing -that said, I've broken my leg climbing, but never smoking weed).

There are certain people with underlying issues that should obviously avoid stimulants (all of 'em).

inorbit wrote:
edit...
looks like meat's going to have to wait... its late... tired... 'night lc.

That's what she said?
I felt particularly gross with that one!

Edit: And I meant to add that it DOES get my homework done! Rolling Eyes Wink
Last edited by tahruh on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
11) @ Pine.... Shocked . Don't know what else to say.
----

whats the shock for?

as far as the token black guy (pun intended) i once walked out of a mall in a large city, and there was a black guy just standing there and he says outloud, to me "ya'll smoke, you want some green?" and I said no.

people assume i smoke all the time. i think its because i enjoy the pink floyd and my eyes are really small.

i have a story about the time this lady thought i was oriental, but thats for another thread i guess.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

@Cendrillion - I didn't have my first drink until I was 22. A friend from Spain and I had debate class together, and in practicing for our debate, we had dinner, and he insisted we have wine with our meal, as it was customary, and that was my first drink.

But there are some places where Communion is taken with wine, not grape juice, so are we talking drinking alcohol period or drinking for effect?

@tahruh It's just as funny when friends of mine act tipsy after a few sips of one beer. The term "social lubrication" has about as much weight to me as the actual words do. I know brain chemistry is one thing, but man alive, the placebo effect reigns supreme sometimes, and it's just Embarassed

and the dealer thing was filed under joke, even though it's true. I'm no more offended by it that I am about token black people dying in movies. When I lived in town homes about a mile from the Airport, and next to a Breckenridge Hotel & Ramada in random people would just walk through the complex and ask any of the kids if they had a rock or knew where they could buy one. It was so common, to go to college and not have that happen was a foreign experience. So yeah, the Token sought out by Tokers was laughable. Let's you know about the company you keep, and the company they keep. No biggie.

@inorbit - as usual, I'm on board with most all that you delineated up there, and 9 is Laughing cause that's where I stand. Having watched enough Matt Hoffman wrecks, since we grew up at the height of EXTREME just after the reign of Evil Knievel AND the Dope crazed peak of the boomers, it's easy to see how the issue is brain chemistry and behavioral tendencies. Adrenaline is an incredible rush, Endorphins bliss you out, Dopamine is pretty sweet... and you don't need to take drugs to feel like you're on drugs, and the desire for those sensations can become compulsive as well.

#8 though, you qualified it with particularly, so what if I just said Drugs??? Laughing

@donotbeafraid - any recreational indulgence is always going to be brought up for taxation, cause for some reason people seem to think vices or fine so long as an honest buck can be made off them. Funny how things can be painted taboo otherwise? I have my opinions about how making money illuminates the true morality of a person, but it's just biblical logic so why ramble on about it.

@Mattoid - I'm with you on beer, and the taste of alcohol in general. But I don't like Root Beer, Cream Soda, or Mountain Dew either, they could all be the same thing for me. Don't ever try Ciders though, the alcohol based kind though, based on our food convos, they will be your undoing. The Granny Smith and Peach Woodchucks Love

My folks would have Daiquiri Parties, and we'd get Virgin Daiquiris as kids, and I think that along with lots of Soda and Slurpee's skewed me towards preferring citric tastes. Probably what kept me away from coffee and tea as well.

@Mr. Pine - Joke-esque - What's worse than people assuming the Token Black Guy is a dealer? Assuming the Token Black Guy is a Narc and everyone giving him the cold shoulder and looking like Racists. Razz That guy at the mall sounds like a Narc to me Laughing

This talk of weed is funny in how it relates to how I think about Tattoos and how what came up in this article about Cam Newton and the Owner of the Carolina Panthers, who suggested he not get any I just don't get why people get a Mad-on when they feel society discourages their indulgences, even though they prosper without them. (only 1 person invoked medicinal benefits in this thread, and I understand that, but would only consider it as a last resort) Why do we complicate things so much just to have our way?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Needs to be legalized

And hard drugs need to be decriminalized and addiction should be treated as a medical problem, not a criminal one.

That said, I hate being under the influence of anything and I hate the smell of pot. Never smoked the stuff, but I've been in rooms heavy with the smoke.
Makes me feel disgusting.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ But decriminalizing, while treating addiction as a medical problem imposes a conflict. What does it say about the person who willing profits off an addictive, medically destructive controlled substance?

Weed can smell like varying degrees of @$$ & stank feet, that is true. I'm one those people who can't stand strong smells in the air with that hang on you, so Smoke in general lingering is nasty (which is why playing in bars sucked so much before smoke-free ordinances).

Smoke of any kind (outside of maybe Cloves that are particularly aromatic) sucks if you're not smoking. Most people I know who are only occasional social smokers acted a lot like the older gentlemen I know who were Cigar Aficionados, and later the would be Swingers in the mid 90's who thought that would be cool, & started a cigar club on campus.

Either way the smells hang on your clothes like Cat piss or Zoo/ Farm Animal funk.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^ But decriminalizing, while treating addiction as a medical problem imposes a conflict. What does it say about the person who willing profits off an addictive, medically destructive controlled substance?

they still sell alcohol, cigarrettes, and caffinated beverages, all of which are adictive in one form or another

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

olimario
Laughing Citizen

mr pine wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

they still sell alcohol, cigarrettes, and caffinated beverages, all of which are adictive in one form or another

Exactly right. We're used to dealing with people and big corporations who profit off of the weakness of others.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Evil Wil checking in: Twisted Evil

So, that being the case, why should we treat it as a medical condition since it's the obvious result of a poor choice and self-destructive in nature to partake of addictive (toxic) substances?

Who decides which self-destruction is worthy of treatment since said person chose to do something that might ultimately result in their being a biological or psychological save to it?

And for the record, all manners of poison occur naturally, and you don't see people going around feeding them to strangers for kicks saying "Give it a try, you might die, but hey, it's natural Wink ?"

Last edited by wilsmith on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

are you talking about alcohol?

i don't want to get too far off topic (and i dont have the time to discuss it right now) but i feel, imho, that alcohol is addictive, but it is not a medical problem.

so, i feel, that it shouldnt be treated medically. addictions are based on choices, one person may have a bend towards that choice, but it's still a choice.
no medicine will help if you don't choose to stop.

wilsmith wrote:

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I mean drugs specifically and Addiction in general re: treatment. RE: toxicity, Heck, water can be toxic if you over-consume it.

But who's peddling water, or would feel morally bereft (or at least legally at risk) for selling it (so long as it's not tainted)?

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>