Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

I just woke up so I may have missed something but...

f**kyeaheisley.tumblr.com wrote:
If you want to purchase a cover song labeled simply “Tribute Dia Frampton” that Sherri in fact recorded and released for free last year, you can do that here.
Yeah, I didn’t think so either.

What?
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I think you mean WTF?? Shocked

Definitely sounds like Sherri. The 'chorus' section is really beautiful. She tweets about everything but I never saw this mentioned; this song was boinked by Gary Burghoff in a mine shaft (meaning way under the Radar - rimshot!)

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

You guys oughta be ashamed of yourselves for jusy now catching wind of it. Razz sherri mentioned it in the live stream but it came up a months ago up here in the thread about the show it was featured on, the Voice. now you know, & knowing's half the battle.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Ah, I do remember a couple posts about a song she covered that someone performed on 'The Voice.' I took a vacation from the LC for a month during the summer and must've missed the discussion.

So if she released it for free (as f**kyeaheisley claims), who's pocketing the 99 cents from iTunes?? There's not even a credit mentioning her name.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Sherri covered Kanye West's Heartless
Dia did a piano based cover the was VERY similar on The Voice.

Sherri gave hers away as a Download on her Tumblr in the winter. The Voice sold all their performances on Itunes and used that as part of their vote tabulation on who went forward in the show.

Sherri is well aware she got jacked. She's been very discrete about it. A little dig here, a little dig there in passing.

It came up here http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=38628 but I didn't see use mentioning the cover, so maybe I tweeted it instead?

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
norad
Vintage Newbie

Well duh it's Sherri. Razz The WTF is why it's on iTunes. Why isn't Sherri mentioned. Why is it a tribute to Dia Frampton? Sherri did that song about a year before Dia. Also, does Sherri even know about this?? WTF!?
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

norad wrote:
Well duh it's Sherri. Razz The WTF is why it's on iTunes. Why isn't Sherri mentioned. Why is it a tribute to Dia Frampton? Sherri did that song about a year before Dia. Also, does Sherri even know about this?? WTF!?

I have a wild theory that is probably not true at all.

Maybe Sherri is the one who released it as a "tribute". Maybe she figured out a way to make a bit of money. I doubt that's the case, but if it was, that would be pretty smart.

If somebody else is making money off of the song... they must be stopped.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing Ok, thanks for clarifying what the source of confusion was. That got me to actually listen to it. I didn't bother cause i didn't wan't to hear the Dia cover of a cover again. i didn't consider someone would pull a Nigerian Prince on Itunes Confused

Now, did anyone else click and see all those tributes they had?

Not too surprised now that i think aboutit given results i sometimes get "getting album artwork"

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Honestly, i don't think it sounds anything like Dia Frampton's version, apart from the obvious similarities resulting from it being the same damn song. The arrangements are completely different, their voices are completely different, everything is completely different, except for the fact it's two sort of “indie”-ish girls singing “Heartless.”

I honestly wouldn't mind paying 99˘ for it, if I knew the money was going to Sherri…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I can't believe her name isn't credited anywhere. If Sherri has no idea about this, then this is unacceptable.

Someone should alert her ASAP.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
Honestly, i don't think it sounds anything like Dia Frampton's version, apart from the obvious similarities resulting from it being the same damn song. The arrangements are completely different, their voices are completely different, everything is completely different, except for the fact it's two sort of “indie”-ish girls singing “Heartless.”

I honestly wouldn't mind paying 99˘ for it, if I knew the money was going to Sherri…

But the idea to do a stripped down, melancholy version of the song with a soft female vocal, it didn't exist to my knowledge prior to Sherri's. So, the issue isn't the similarity literally, but the concept.

Also, I think the style of the vocal and delivery is similar enough to warrant calling it a jack move.

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

I just talked to Sherri, and she had no idea this was on iTunes. She's looking into it.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
But the idea to do a stripped down, melancholy version of the song with a soft female vocal, it didn't exist to my knowledge prior to Sherri's. So, the issue isn't the similarity literally, but the concept.

Also, I think the style of the vocal and delivery is similar enough to warrant calling it a jack move.

But, Kanye West's “Heartless” is stripped down and melancholy — at least as much so as Dia Frampton's (which has a full band arrangement, with drums, bass, guitars, pianos, synthesizers, backup singers, etc.) — and I can't hear the similarities in the vocal at all (Sherri's is quiet, plaintive, and almost ethereal, while Dia's is raw, earthy, and aggressive), apart from them both being female.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The version Dia did on the show started off just Vocal and piano, and struck me as quiet and hushed in the context of that show's overall presentation, which may be distorting my perspective on this.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

Alright let me get the deets on this. Tell me if I'm right.

I've been aware of Sherri's cover of Heartless since she released it for free on her Tumblr. If, I recall se wasn't too crazy about it and recorded it just playing around, but Collin and Christie were the ones who LOVED it and convinced her to share. It was like, last winter I believe.

So what has happened now? I don't watch The Voice, to be honest I don't even know what the premise of the show is. All I know about it is Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera are involved.

I do remember Sherri saying on the livestream they did a few weeks ago that this girl basically ripped off Sherri's cover. So I'm guessing this girl won the show? They released songs via iTunes to pay tribute to her? Using SHERRI'S cover without permission, and selling it without paying her royalties?

AWWWW HELL NAH!!!!!

Dat sh*it don't float in my bowl.

goto page
 | next >>