Laughing City
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

^ lol.... since forever. Remember this gem straight outta Austin Laughing? I'm still waiting for the Sheri version.

The art was taken to an even higher level down there though Laughing
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Neutral If I remember right, both of those came out when I was on a exclusive diet of East Coast Hip Hop (with a little West Coast Underground Hip Hop) and Grungy Rock. No Love. Even then the Novelty wasn't enough to keep the heads (hip hop, not dead Wink ) from wanting to bumrush the set of anyone doing something like that. Yup, it was juvenile and hyper-aggressive, but that was Hip Hop, and still is for the most part (ex: Tyler's rebuttal to whichever quinn twin wrote the open letter about Odd Future's lyrics, or to keep it old school Ice-T's comeback to Aimee Mann dissing his acting).

For ME, FOR ME, 808 and Heartbreaks is an obvious choice rather than The College Drop Out, Late Registration, or Graduation. Unlike those previous three, an Indie artist could cover 808s easily because it's not a traditional hip hop or R & B. If it wasn't by Kanye, I'm sure the label "electro", "synth" or "alternative" would carry more weight in it's description than Hip Hop. The album has as much in common with Phil Collin's Face Value in it's production style (spare, slightly dark synth-based pop) and the circumstances of its genesis (disintegrating relationship with loved ones) than the Carter III or Paper Trail.

What REALLY hit home with me about the cover, I mean REALLY sold it for me, as far as Sherri's choice, is how weighted the Lyrics become when you consider the Lyrics of the Valley tunes, and their genesis. Her performance of the song carries an entirely different depth of meaning for me taking it that way. I enjoy the performance, but the emotion is palpable. If she's just "performing" for affect, and there isn't any sincerity or catharsis at work in the recording shared, well, then she's just a Extra-Talented Show-Off, cause her Heartless stings. It hurts to hear, and in my head, when I heard "To a woman so heartless..."

I mean, don't you just go "damn... this is personal."

But yeah, it's just a song. Yeah, all it is is a cover song that sounds cool cause of the genre hop & production choices being flipped. Wink

I mean, am I the only one that felt a little heartsick hearing Sherri sing those lyrics, and also a little solidarity because I got betrayed by someone I loved once upon a time?

If you imbue her cover with the emotional weight it has the potential of carrying, it becomes a Work Of Art, beyond the affective performance. It can be taken as true emotional bloodletting. Even if it wasn't. That is courage, even genius, when it works.

I think it worked perfectly.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
Neutral If I remember right, both of those came out when I was on a exclusive diet of East Coast Hip Hop (with a little West Coast Underground Hip Hop) and Grungy Rock. No Love. Even then the Novelty wasn't enough to keep the heads (hip hop, not dead Wink ) from wanting to bumrush the set of anyone doing something like that.

Perfectly understandable, given that most of them were done in the spirit of complete mockery[ (richly deserved imo in the case of that cartoonish subgenre).

Eisley fans will love this one, because its "female fronted". Anyone remember
Nina?
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

At least Max had the decency to check his privelege.

...Also, judgement withheld...
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

... Confused Neutral ... I like it better than his Telescope Eyes Razz

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area