Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

This is a thread about six years in the making.

We all know that the version of Marvelous Things on Room Noises is a new mix, but does anyone elses RN cd do what mine does?

Golly Sandra plays fine and normal volume, but then MT starts and the volume drops considerable amount. I find myself having to turn up my mp3 player to hear it.
Then Brightly Wound is back to normal volume.

Am I the only one?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
oathmeal
Sea Post King

I just checked on mine and the volume seems to be the same for all three tracks.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

so your CD does that... I could see a digital file given encoding variances, but an actual manufactured cd, odd. Confused

I never noticed it, but also, my ears perk up when that song starts, so I could be missing the volume change by simple fact of that I'm primed?

It does open and close on a quiet not with just keys and then just vocals, and the other tracks on either side of it come in full band for the most part.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Everything is super loud on my copy.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
so your CD does that... I could see a digital file given encoding variances, but an actual manufactured cd, odd. Confused

I never noticed it, but also, my ears perk up when that song starts, so I could be missing the volume change by simple fact of that I'm primed?

It does open and close on a quiet not with just keys and then just vocals, and the other tracks on either side of it come in full band for the most part.

to clarify, it is a digital copy of my cd. i cant think of the last time i put the cd in and listened for it. I shall do that sometime soon and report my findings.
it might just be my ears tricking me based on your statement.
if i remember right MT was produced seperate than the others right?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

If you ever dabble in VBR it will drop the biy rate for quieter moments in mixes, and that could contribute to the percieved drop off.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
oathmeal
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:

Same here. I went from listening to A Rush of Blood to the Head to Room Noises and I had to turn it down because it nearly blew my ears out.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

oathmeal wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Same here. I went from listening to A Rush of Blood to the Head to Room Noises and I had to turn it down because it nearly blew my ears out.

Mylo Xyloto has some crazy bass frequencies.
If I'm listening to R&B/Rap stuff with a lot of low end, I usually turn the Bass to -4 and that stops my windows from rattling. Did that with MX and it still rattled it quite a bit. Laughing

oathmeal
Sea Post King

^^Is it a digital copy or was it a hard copy?
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

cd. i pretty much only download digital when amazon gives me a free download with an order.

it could also be that my commute involves the interstate now and my car has the feature that raises and lowers the volume in relation to speed. it also favors bass and seems to drown out other frequencies so if something has a quiet sparse acoustic song you cant hear everything equally even when boosting all non bass. annoying.

brandy alexander
Sea Post King

Mine does this too, so you're not alone.

Speaking of, wasn't a new version of MT recorded with Rob Schnapf? I remember hearing a brief snippet of in one of the RN Studio Clips. I thought it sounded pretty good - I wonder why the band decided to go with a new mix instead.

Here's the clip:

http://www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/medias/file/308-studio-clip-11

Skip ahead to 3:05

Shame it will probably never see the light of day.

oathmeal
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
cd. i pretty much only download digital when amazon gives me a free download with an order.

it could also be that my commute involves the interstate now and my car has the feature that raises and lowers the volume in relation to speed. it also favors bass and seems to drown out other frequencies so if something has a quiet sparse acoustic song you cant hear everything equally even when boosting all non bass. annoying.

Haha. My system is so bad in my truck that it rattles everything without the bass turned up (or the volume turned up very loud for that matter). My truck is just really crappy. Also anytime I try to change the song on a cd I have in the stereo the radio will quit on me and eject my cd. It's pretty lame.