Laughing City
tungsten
Sea Post King

Who else thinks Eisley should sing something on their new album with just their voices? Like an intro to a song like the live performances of Watch it Die or something like that. I know the band has stated that they struggle with getting their voices above the guitars . . . seems like a good option!
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

it would be awesome. this could be under the experimental category that they talked about

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
it would be awesome. this could be under the experimental category that they talked about

But seriously, a great big yes to a capella stuff in any context. I'd like to hear them do "We Had Voices" again on the next tour.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

experimental in terms of what they band does.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Yes...

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Laughing
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

um, you want me to explain something? i thought that was rather self explanatory

-edit-

i'll explain what i mean here to avoid another antagonistic comment.

and i've also explained this to you already a long time ago in another thread.

however, i don't necessarily know what experimental would sound like for eisley as it's their own sound to expand on, and i don't know what goes on in their heads. i do think though that some of it might challenge conventional songwriting and recording techniques, but also (and especially/hopefully) how eisley typically approach their own writing and recording (writing in ways that they've never done before. being experimental, but still eisley). i do think songs like cobalt and one last song would go under the category with their sound, structure, and progression especially in comparison to a lot of their other pieces.

i'm not asking them to go all out on experimentalism and be the next radiohead or anything like that, but just to experiment and expand more on their current sound

i do however hate when people abuse the terms avant garde and experimental to hide their incompetence or as an excuse to be loud.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Cool, I'll clarify my stance as well. My main problem with the term experimental is that every band, with every successive album, should be experimenting. Like you said, it doesn't have to be on the level of the jump from OK Computer to Kid A, but in order to develop as artists, musicians have to keep trying different sounds. I don't think anyone can deny that Eisley have done this like champs over the course of their career thus far. Room Noises is a smorgasbord of different styles, Combinations incorporated every instrument ever, and The Valley is one big experiment with structure (and a very successful one, too). "Lights Out" and "One Last Song" sound like nothing Eisley have ever done--but they still sound like Eisley.

They challenge conventional songwriting and recording techniques all the time. Stacy and Sherri have zen beginners' minds when it comes to writing; from what I understand they just let it all flow. And Eisley have recorded in studios of all sizes and varieties, from the little place in Nebraska for the Marvelous Things EP to Richard Gibbs' decked out back yard. They've been produced by major producers, by a composer, by themselves, and now they've recorded an EP in their homes. So when people say Eisley should do more experimental stuff, it means exactly nothing to me because that's what they do every time they make new music. They are always trying new things.

Furthermore, in this context you applied the term experimental to Eisley singing a capella, but they've performed a capella pieces live before, so as awesome as it would be for them to do it again, I don't see what's experimental about it.

Not trying to start anything here. I'm just tired of seeing this term bandied about. Experimental is the new indie--it doesn't seem to mean a bloody thing.

Smokemonster
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I think an a cappella song would be awesome!! Maybe they could even invite Christie to be on it so that all four sisters can add something to the mix and give it even more depth.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'd rather it be a bonus track or hidden track that doesn't count against the albums playing time, cause Eisley records are a throwback to the 60s & 70s as far as run time. If I'm gonna get an Eisley record, I want everybody playing on every song I pay for. I love their voices, but they are excellent musicians, and I want my fill of that goodness for the money. So yeah, I'd down for a Capella track as an alternate version bonus/ hidden track, cause if it's an Eisley song, I trust their skills enough to believe they have or could come up with a wicked band arrangement for the song too, and don't want to be deprived. Evil or Very Mad

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
If I'm gonna get an Eisley record, I want everybody playing on every song I pay for.

Not a fan of "Just Like We Do," then? Wink

Smokemonster
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It's got guitar, and that's the arrangement they chose Razz
I am content with their choices.
I'm imagining getting Room Noises with a A Capella "Just Like We Do"
and then hearing a demo of the version with Stacy playing guitar like she does live Mad

but... if there is a band version of that, with a really cool Chauntelle lead, a subtle Jon Wilson bass line, and brushwork on the kit by Weston, I feel deprived, cause I feel deeply that it will be worth checking out.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
boone
Vintage Newbie

A song with a huge, full-on Beach Boys vocal only style breakdown would

Of course, a triple overdubbed three-part harmonic lead à la "Because" would do the same thing.

Now I want to hear both. How much do I have to beg?