Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

06/11/2011: I'm going to turn this thread into a place to post media.syp updates. Smile

----------------------

PHPmotion was great for a few months but after that it just became a huge pain.

The old media site is still online for now! Once all the audio gets uploaded the media site will go down though. We're only planning on having audio so as for a video page goes we're not going to bother with one for now (unless you beg Wink).

Not everything is uploaded right now but check it out! Any comments and suggestions are welcome! It might be moved to it's own site rather than just a page on SYP.

www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/audio-new

Very Happy
Last edited by norad on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

sorry to see the old one go, it was so Robust, and you guys put a lot of work into it, which was greatly appreciated on my part. I didn't even know there were videos for some many of those older songs (the real ones as opposed to the "home movie" versions) and saw them first on Eistube.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
norad
Vintage Newbie

We're still looking into a way to have videos on the site. So maybe there will be a new video page soon.

I did spend a crazy amount of time working on the media site and sometimes felt it had gone unnoticed. I'm glad to hear you appreciated the work I put into it.
Thank you! Smile
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'm sure we all (the lcer's) did when you bailed us out when we referred to a picture or a vid that we couldn't find but seemed to recall and posted a link, or reposted something up there that was new and others couldn't DL for whatever reason up there.

The sheer volume of content is impressive, and maybe a little intimidating. Thing is, newer fans are ignorant to all of it, and will want to dig in at some point. I have been listening since Marvelous Things EP, but i didn't know there was a to get EP 1 & 2 until 2008 when i went active on the LC, and I'm pretty sure the mp3s I got of most of that stuff and rare live songs all came from SYP and orange gold and green in whatever forms they've existed in. And I didn't know anything about Christie's music, and of course, wasn't able to DL any of it until I found it on SYP for DL cause someone mentioned it was up there.

I think since the core LC group appears to be about 3 dozen deep, it doesn't represent the larger fanbase, or number of people who just come to Eisley.com hunting for media/content for the band. It's indispensable when there are lulls in band output (something we've gotten used to). And Whatever you guys do, I think the key is making sure it's Very Apparent to new fans that the content exists and SYP is the first source to seek out for it, one that's approved by Management. Nico should put you on the "team" as far as coming up with an Eisley "indoctrination program" for all the new listeners who'll be entering via The Valley. They may never visit the LC (I suspect one of the perks in the past was a chance to contact a band member or family member, and that's bypassed 3 times over by other media now) so, word of mouth, traffic direction, has to come from elsewhere.

That said, Eisley as a brand isn't a bad thing at all, and as far as sharing the wealth of the brand, SYP currently is the warehouse/ museum. SYP can play an important part in giving Eisley's artistic weight and depth the proper light in a world where WB less forthcoming. That's just my take on it.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I have to admit, I only just realized how vast the audio/video section was a few weeks ago...Thanks for having that up for fans! One can tell a lot of time and effort went into it.

I understand if it's too much to maintain, but I love the video page. I hope there's some way to have videos as well if the current media page goes down!
norad
Vintage Newbie

Wow Will, that was great. Very Happy Very Happy

Mystic, it isn't too much to maintain it's just the script we use (PHPmotion) doesn't work right anymore (it wont upload videos). I may have to upload videos and just have links to them since I didn't find any free Joomla extensions for video sharing. I'll keep looking though.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
I
I think since the core LC group appears to be about 3 dozen deep, it doesn't represent the larger fanbase, or number of people who just come to Eisley.com hunting for media/content for the band.

I don't know though... if you check the bottom of the forums main page, I've noticed that a lot of the time they'll be maybe 15 or so lurkers on lately. I think its been getting a lot more reads than it does writes.

There's value in having depth and breadth of the fan community around Eisley. I think new fans who have just found the band will be surprised to find evidence of how established they are, and how many layers of organic support exist. SYP is a great resource that doesn't look like it was put up by their record company or their e-marketing firm last week, as is LC.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ I guess I mean that Lurkers would be part of that larger fan base, as was I from 03'- most of 08'. I'm of the mind that those fans are looking for Eisley media more than they are communicating with the band when they come to the LC or Eisley.com so directing them to SYP should be the modus operandi.

norad
Vintage Newbie

http://www.strangeyellowpatterns.com/video

Check it out! I found something for videos. The default theme from the extension need to be changed to match the site but it seems to work!

Please test it out for me and tell me if it works. Thanks!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Should it stream, or is it just set up for downloads? Firefox on the Mac side goes straight to download, which works fine.

norad
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Should it stream, or is it just set up for downloads? Firefox on the Mac side goes straight to download, which works fine.

Yea, it's just downloads. I couldn't find anything that worked quite right for viewing videos. I basically wanted something like the MP3 browser on the audio page and this seems to be close to that. Smile
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, let me be the first (in this thread) to thank you for sharing, again! Very Happy

norad
Vintage Newbie

You're welcome Wil!

I'm working on installing joomla on the media site. I've never done anything this complex before. Hopefully I don't break anything. Laughing
norad
Vintage Newbie

Chad got Joomla installed for the media site! I totally broke it last night in my attempt. Laughing Too bad something seems to be missing 'cause I can't install any extensions. I can at least start uploading files. Hopefully tomorrow I can start putting content on the site.

http://media.strangeyellowpatterns.com/
norad
Vintage Newbie

http://media.strangeyellowpatterns.com/

FILES ARE BEING ADDED. I just ran out of steam after adding 55 files in a row so I'm taking a break. Cool I'm dreading adding the 100+ live audio files though.