| next >>
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
norad wrote:
Mims wrote:
ync wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

I distinctly remember reading a Trolleywood where Boyd mentions Weston being asked to dumb down his syncopation for a song when they were recording Room Noises. I can't remember which song though. Could it have been one that didn't make the album like Treetops?

the song was "marvelous things" http://strangeyellowpatterns.com/medias/play/308-studio-clip-11?tmpl=c omponent

I never noticed how condescending he (the producer?) sounded in that video.

Yeaaaaa. I don't find it as funny as I used to. Confused

I missed that thread back then, as I wasn't really even lurking. I had my t-shirt and my review and zoned out. I skimmed the 1st 3 pages... all discussions of the WB were no laughing matter back then. Super contentious and people, to quote Mr. Pine, "Butt-Hurt" on most sides of most of the arguments made.

Interesting to look back and how Viral Videos and Commercial spots were the Grand Elixir just 4 years ago, and now, they're considered passe. When's the last time a Viral Vid set the world on fire and made a band a star? When's the last time anyone cared about the song in a car or Apple commercial that wasn't already a hit?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i'm seriously excited to hear the direction they're going in. did they say how many songs they'd record?

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

they finally got themselves a microkorg. been wondering when they'd play around with those. between that and the nord, they've got a good opportunity to explore any electronic textures and sounds if they choose

edit-

also, it looks like they're using logic in the background? i personally prefer it more than protools, especially since they can access their garageband demos through it

vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:

Interesting to look back and how Viral Videos and Commercial spots were the Grand Elixir just 4 years ago, and now, they're considered passe. When's the last time a Viral Vid set the world on fire and made a band a star? When's the last time anyone cared about the song in a car or Apple commercial that wasn't already a hit?

Oh, i totally disagree. my friend was just talking about how she recently got into grouplove because of their song on an apple commercial. The thing is, commercials rarely DO use big songs, in part because they're a pain in the wallet to license. And viral vids are def still in fashion so long as they're cool and relevant. I mean, Gotye? If only i could escape that song/video.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Gotye is probably a bad one to site, cause I would say he's more like Oasis, in that he was big everywhere before his song was promoted here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_That_I_Used_to_Know

I remember not long after Stuartbuck linked it and the cover on the LC, checking out the video and releasing that videos for other singles had been released overseas so they were on youtube, but his album wasn't even out here yet. (same thing with the Joy Formidable, and Travis back in the day). But yeah, that was a Big song before anyone over here knew about it.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just not the coup it once was. Most people I know that consume a lot of music have taken to Spotify for their fixes. Viral Vids were a Arms Race that went Nuclear a few years ago and there's nowhere to go but downhill from here. In a way that's a good thing though, cause Songs are driving people's interests primarily, and occasionally inspiring equally satisfying videos. I mean, who had more hype than Lana Del Rey this year? Her videos were nothing special, but the folks that made her buzzworthy over two songs connected with the music why supported exploring the Idea of Lana Del Rey. The tunes had so much character they buoyed what many of the critics who blew her up revealed they ultimately thought was a ridiculous persona.

I remember when OK Go was a huge Viral Video, and last year it was Friday... just think about that.

It's always humbling for me when I go to Billboard to get an idea of how things are shaking out in the world of music consumption http://www.billboard.com/charts/youtube#/charts/youtube

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

http://t.co/t8HKaIQD wish we got a video clip

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

on twitter, sherri named a new song called Blue Fish

vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

The Man In The Moon wrote:

one fish two fish red fish blue fish
juan_diego
Sea Post King

The Man In The Moon wrote:

She also tweeted her favorite new lyrics so far.

"i'm a watch tower in the morning, waiting for the sun to rise, i've got riverbeds in my eyes"

I dig it! Sounds like a Stacy jam.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

I don't know, it's kinda in the same feel as lights out

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

I wonder if the song they're reworking is lady of the wood? Probably something we haven't heard yet, though.

rchamp
Sea Post King

From what they told me, it's from the Combinations writing cycle so "Lady Of The Wood" is to old.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was assuming they meant The Valley when they said "the last album" cause Warner had first crack at that one, and shared credit on the release.

I doubt it will be "Away We Go" cause that was supposed to be an older demo right? After hearing what they did with "Laugh It Off" it would be interesting to see what that one would evolve into if took take a similar approach as far as being groove oriented and tonally consistent the way Laugh it Off is.

I don't recall anything from those Eiswood vids and pics that was listed as a song being worked on that didn't see a release, I also didn't go back and check either.

One thing I neglect that I thought of this time around too was that it's not always the music being reworked, it could be the lyrics. Some songs don't see the light of day because they're too sad or dark o release or whatever, particularly when labels are considering radio airplay. Happy Hooks (or pleasantly cathartic ones) are par for the course in that regard. So that could also be the case given the Valley was fuel by break-up?

Last edited by wilsmith on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
I was assuming they meant The Valley when they said "the last album" cause Warner had first crack at that one, and shared credit on the release.

I doubt it will be "Away We Go" cause that was supposed to be an older demo right? After hearing what they did with "Laugh It Off" it will be interesting to see what that one would involve with if they take a similar approach as for as being groove oriented and tonally consistent.

I don't recall anything from those Eiswood vids and pics that was listed as a song being worked on that didn't see a release, I also didn't go back and check either.

One thing I neglect that I thought of this time around too was that it's not always the music being reworked, it could be the lyrics. Some songs don't see the light of day because they're too sad or dark o release or whatever, particularly when labels are considering radio airplay. Happy Hooks (or pleasantly cathartic ones) are par for the course in that regard. So that could also be the case given the Valley was fuel by break-up?

i think they said away we go invoked queen of leaves era, but was a recent demo. also, there's that one song in eiswood video number 2

-edit 1-

rchamp wrote:
From what they told me, it's from the Combinations writing cycle so "Lady Of The Wood" is to old.

okay, since they said it's dancey maybe it's LADY GET AWAY! GETA GET AWAY! hahaha

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Hmmm... could be?

Depends on what they mean by radio friendly/ ready (already forgot the wording sherri used) and whether it was a rump shaker before or after the reworking of the song. Laughing

And I musta been sleepy cause those typos and word substitutions I did are horrendous! Mad edit time!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>