Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

He hath shamed the name Will..

http://kdhx.org/blog/2012/07/13/concert-review-eisley-with-merriment-k eeps-it-all-in-the-family-at-off-broadway-thursday-june-12/

It is accurate about some things and way off about others... freakin Friday the 13th man... have at it, I know you got it in ya Twisted Evil

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

It certainly is a unique way of describing the band.
nemo1
Sea Post King

interesting, if weird, dissection of their show. That guy should be doing play-by-play for the cardinals.. I think he liked the show, but a weird of way of expressing it. Plus, every review I've ever seen starts with the main act and then has a few words about the opener.

And he's on a first-name basis with Sherri and Chauntelle, but Stacy is King throughout? That's a d***/d***** move, no matter how you slice it... In context, that practically telegraphs contempt for Stacy (that's how I see it) as if she did something to p him off (maybe she didn't invite him to her apocryphal wedding Rolling Eyes ) Or he's just a dope who doesn't realize that all 3 of them are married. Either way, meh...

again, lucky you. They haven't done an encore yet at the shows I've been to...
Mims
Golly, Poster

He was positive about the set, but his review was just weird. Not bad mind you, just a strange way to go about it and had... errr interesting things to say.
Joined: 03 Jun 2006 | Posts: 617 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Here are the things that just come off as really askew, possibly doing the bands disservices aka stuff that made me go Confused

wk of kdhx.org wrote:
"The retro-rockabilly vibe of many of Christie’s tunes"
(...??? Country Folk, or vintage pop, but Rockabilly wha???)

Smarter = "woodsy power-punk"

The Valley= "The song, concerned with falling in love just to fail to see “everything as right,” popped with a darkened surfer vibe"
(he wrote a long piece, so this wording could just be bad grammar, or a weird take on the lyrics with an odd misquote/ paraphrase to cap it off. And Dark Surfer Confused More on that later*)

" “Marvelous Things” was laid-back, yet deeply concerned about staying, say, with a lover under the moonlight.
("Dark night, hold tight and sleep tight my baby, cause morning light will burst and keep us here safely... a lover huh???)'"

" “Laugh it Off,” “Watch it Die,” and “Please” found Eisley in the middle of their set with a raft of tunes rife with existential quest"
(break-up songs equal existential quests???)

"During “Sad,” dubbed as a “bitter love song” by Sherri, the microphones cut out, leaving the girls mute as their instruments bled over the crowd with a vocal-less power. "
( Neutral You could still hear Stacy, and Sherri's monitor was loud enough where you could still hear her a bit, but not over the instrumentation. The second time it dropped out, she was less audible than that and nearly stopped singing and then it kicked back in.)

" “Golly Sandra” allowed Eisley to step out of their normal hard-hitting punk grooves with a little country-style a la younger sister Christie."
(hard hitting punk grooves... Rolling Eyes I will concede that in my head part of the stylistic change with Eisley seems like an intentional move to allow everyone a unique territory to explore amongst the family, so the Christie nod I'm ok with, even if it might predate any Christie proper songs I'm aware of.)

192 Days & I Wish Acoustic Encore= "the stylistically-different tunes might support a side project for the sisters. I hope to see more of this kind of work from Eisley, who prove they can harness both angst-riddled girl power-punk and emotional, western-style love songs"
( Side project... Oh really??? I don't think they've ever done anything like that Embarassed . And the Power-Punk label, I think that's what bothered me the most, the reiteration of that.)

OK, so the real beef I have is that KDHX is our Public Radio station in town, easily the most popular, and "hippest" station we have for those interested in being hip/current without skewing young and angsty. The station, or town, and the greater music community, for the last near 20 years has been fixated on, and riding the relatively non-existant wave of Alt-Country, Traditional Country, and Americana. If you're a singer songwriter in St. Louis, swinging that route is almost an inevitability. It has it's place, but it dominate the critical perspective here as well. So as a result a lot of people here filter EVERYTHING through the filter of "How Country is this?" *Using Rockabilly for Christie makes it seem like he doesn't really recognize Rockabilly when he hears it. Calling "The Valley" Dark Surfer music, could only be justified by the bass & drum intro (which was more Dance Punk actually, and badass big time, didn't even recognize what song it was, figured it was a new one) or Chauntelle's leads that had some reverb and tremolo or vibrato going on, a minor part of an elaborate song to hang onto in a description as far as I'm concerned.

But, this is a town that Used half an issue of their biggest Art & Entertainment Paper for their cartoonist to illustrate a history of rock & roll that categorizes Chuck Berry as R & B, not Rock & Roll. In their eyes, Our Native Son, claim to fame, resident pervy Rock & Roll founding father and legend everywhere else, by their hip standards at the time (around Y2k) was an R & B player, and when his R & B, and Rockabilly artists (I'm thinking they gave Carl Perkins credit) influenced the subsequent act, Rock & Roll was born. That sort of revisionist history is typical of the vibe here. People are very into closed circles and self-segregation culturally and generationally to some regards, so it fit the bill for the typical hair splitting, petty, and generally ignorant arguments people make about music, so what else is new? It still pisses me off though. The bent to separate everything into race music is old school, but separating it into class music where punk & country are working class & poor American, and everything else is ascribe to affluence/privilege or hyphenated-American music struck me as especially polarizing. Me not being a big Chuck Berry fan anyway (ok, the songs can be fun if I'm in the mood, but I rarely am) I still got hella put off that something the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame got right (maybe the only thing they did right)

wiki wiki wiki wrote:
The first group of inductees, inducted on January 23, 1986, included James Brown, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis.

They wanted to erase from history, reimposing Jim Crow retroactively on music history.

The flip side is that anything that isn't country gets generalized into some other broad category that probably doesn't fit as a result of the person's bias and ignorance. The route from rebellious punk rock, to rockabilly, to honky tonk & traditional country, to folk and bluegrass is well trod around here. Sometimes people start at folk and come at the progression the other way around too.

Anyway, to see a review Shoehorn this show, and the acts into that myopic view reminds me of everything that annoys the heck out of me about St. Louis, and why I bare no grievances to all my friends who left here to pursue their dreams in other towns and cities. I was so happy to see that KDHX had reviewed the show before I actually read it. The venue is actually staffed by a few key KDHX djs and staff members. And honestly, his review reminds me of some of the pet criticisms people have voiced on here regarding the newer Eisley stuff compared to Room Noises & the LC & MT Eps, which I will always rebuff.

I think it bugs me a little too because everything this guy needed to know to do his review with proper facts about the band, their statuses, and projects was included in the preview I wrote for the show. Maybe it's just that I work up at 3something AM after going to bed after 11? Oh well... the Levee broke

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
nemo1
Sea Post King

Well, Will, just as long as you aren't worked up about it or anything. I agree this guy has brought shame upon your hallowed name. May I suggest you change your LC name to Patti or Robert or Fred or Elliott or Mindy (YAY!!!) or Dr? And who knew that St Louis was such a vibrant city, music-wise? I thought all you ever had to offer was a crummy brewery and the arch thing that your city's founders stole from Ray Kroc?

And this Chuck Berry guy? Don't know much about him or his worthiness to be in any Hall of Fame, but as I recall, if it wasn't for Marty McFly teaching his cousin Marvin a thing or 2, Chuck wouldn't have gotten very far... ("hello? McFly? anybody home?")
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing I've been considering Ozzie McGee as a nom de plume actually.

Double yay on Mindy, even if she skipped by the Lou this tour. Gen x has been full of melancholy Smiths*, that's for sure. Fred must have lost the Smith mojo in the Divorce with Patti, which might be why his son married Meg White, to steal her's like a rock & roll Prometheus.

* just realized what I said there Idea Laughing I didn't think about naming myself "the".

Last edited by wilsmith on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
nemo1
Sea Post King

well, he didn't so much divorce Patti as die on her- that's a whole different way to end a marriage. But if she hadn't already won me over with Horses (I'm old enough to remember when it first came out) & Radio Ethiopia, she would have when she did the duet & CD with Kevin Shields & probably made some of us old folks aware of My Bloody Valentine...
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I guess it's been that long since I refreshed my memory on Patti. I knew she kept is name, totally brainfarted on the circumstances & let the White Stripes own narrative influence my recollection (Jack Gillis doing the opposite of Patti). I have always been on the outside looking in with Patti. My bent towards ornate vocalists and pure singers always made me hesistant to commit to getting into her, but at the same time she is a pillar in rock music and a few of it's notoriously contrary subgenres, of which I have been know to parttake so i'ma have'ta get over my bs huh?

I think of her as a parrallel to Iggy Pop sometimes, in how art & punk coexist and have powered those musical scenes in tandem. That's just me though. Also, I have to give her props for not shavin the stache in recent years. Now that's keeping it real.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

You get to choose who you let ruin your day.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CBmp3
Sea Post King

"hard-hitting punk grooves"

incredible.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
You get to choose who you let ruin your day.

Laughing i

I was being petty and needed sleep. I think the Tulsa debacle put everything in perspective for me as far as professional speed bumps post WB.

I guess I felt like there was some tolling going on, wanted to fight ire with ire.