Laughing City
ync
Golly, Poster

cheesecake factory has a red velvet cheesecake...i'm terrified to try it because it's HUGE

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
sebas
Golly, Poster

ync wrote:
cheesecake factory has a red velvet cheesecake...i'm terrified to try it because it's HUGE

I've had it a couple of times. It's really good.

nomnomnom

-Mahatma, Gandhi
norad
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:
ync wrote:

nomnomnom

Nooooo. I've had it twice and both times it was terrible. Their other cheesecakes are way yummier!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Commercial cheesecake = too sweet to eat, imo.
But it looks nice.
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I think red velvet is kind of gross. Sooooo much food coloring. Gives it a weird flavor. Maybe it's just cause I had to make a massive one for my sister's graduation party last year so I'm turned off to it.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I am vehemently anti-artificial pretty much everything, especially food dyes (I have "AD[H]D"). The beets are what is supposed to give it its color, for the most part. But I imagine most commercial brands go the Red #40 route...
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It just makes too much sense to deny the urge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCwIPGkTy4

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

See, I would've had to go with these guys. Different generations, I guess. Laughing '90s 4e<3.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

lol@you two Laughing

I'm going to have to go with the Go Go's I think- but it's close.

But yeah... the ones I had were homemade, and it's about the beets.
The thought of that much food coloring makes my guts cringe
Don't think I'll be going for the commercial variant any time soon!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Speaking of Food Coloring & Gut's Cringing, and ways in which the 80s biological alien horror, Alien was bad, but this was so much worse, so much more terrifying to me back then, and even now. And what you see in this one probably really IS Red Food Coloring and Corn Syrup.

It's also BRILLIANT, CLASSIC, horror. To me it is the most suspenseful, intense part of ANY movie I have ever seen of my life, and of course, the range all the actors display in this scene to make it work is just EPIC. 80s and 90s are awesome for their own reasons, but part of the charm of the 90s Nick stuff was the boomers and gen Xers putting references to their favorite stuff in the kids programming, which made it new, but connected kids with the past standards of coolness too.

Back to Beets and the Beat. When in doubt, I say choose the better song, and from today forward I will be playing the Go Gos in my head anytime I see that purple tuber.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Speaking of Food Coloring & Gut's Cringing, and ways in which the 80s biological alien horror, Alien was bad, but this was so much worse, so much more terrifying to me back then, and even now. And what you see in this one probably really IS Red Food Coloring and Corn Syrup.

It's also BRILLIANT, CLASSIC, horror. To me it is the most suspenseful, intense part of ANY movie I have ever seen of my life, and of course, the range all the actors display in this scene to make it work is just EPIC. 80s and 90s are awesome for their own reasons, but part of the charm of the 90s Nick stuff was the boomers and gen Xers putting references to their favorite stuff in the kids programming, which made it new, but connected kids with the past standards of coolness too.

Back to Beets and the Beat. When in doubt, I say choose the better song, and from today forward I will be playing the Go Gos in my head anytime I see that purple tuber.
Great, now Inorbit's gonna know that's where I get so many of my Gen X tendencies from, and not reincarnation or whatever I had him believing there for a minute!

In retrospect, the '80s were very cool, but as I have but one memory from that decade...

I really do feel bad for the Disney generation though. Although Bug Juice was pretty cool. Wet Hot American Summer-esque almost! Razz

sebas
Golly, Poster

norad wrote:
sebas wrote:
ync wrote:

nomnomnom

Nooooo. I've had it twice and both times it was terrible. Their other cheesecakes are way yummier!

-Mahatma, Gandhi
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
80s and 90s are awesome for their own reasons, but part of the charm of the 90s Nick stuff was the boomers and gen Xers putting references to their favorite stuff in the kids programming, which made it new, but connected kids with the past standards of coolness too.

Great, now Inorbit's gonna know that's where I get so many of my Gen X tendencies from, and not reincarnation or whatever I had him believing there for a minute!

In retrospect, the '80s were very cool, but as I have but one memory from that decade...

I really do feel bad for the Disney generation though. Although Bug Juice was pretty cool. Wet Hot American Summer-esque almost! Razz

how many people's first exposure to the Smith's and Morrissey was via this???

I feel fairly confident in assuming the song was chosen simply because it is just so cool, who cares if it relates. Cool

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
tahruh wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
80s and 90s are awesome for their own reasons, but part of the charm of the 90s Nick stuff was the boomers and gen Xers putting references to their favorite stuff in the kids programming, which made it new, but connected kids with the past standards of coolness too.

how many people's first exposure to the Smith's and Morrissey was via this???

I feel fairly confident in assuming the song was chosen simply because it is just so cool, who cares if it relates. Cool

And what tahruh probably doesn't realize is the degree to which most of genx probably only remembers half of what they do about "their" era via the same sources. or via geny kids via those sources.

That said wil, I'd have thought that any genx'r worth their salt would recognize Richard Butler's voice when they hear it, even if he is singing How Soon Is Now Very Happy

I actually like his treatment better than the original, I think.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I remember hearing their name as guests on a Friday night NBC late night talk show before Costas got Later going. I was maybe 10 or 11, 12 tops. I thought it was a weird name & I don't think i'd even heard/understood the word psychelic or gathered its meaning. The music was just as foreign to me and I never went back to check them out so their connection to Love Spit Love was non-existent to me. I just thought Love Spit Love was just some obscure band they hired to cover it rather than license the original at a high cost.

I from 1984-1995 I pretty much tuned out must pop & rock music other than HUGE pop hits from the US and honed in on Hip Hop so my capacity for anglophilia is greatly impaired. The only less mainstream act that broke through in that time period were Depeche Mode, and that wasn't until Violator. It was basically a culturally reinforced return to "race music" vs. My earliest childhood years when new wave & synthy r&b and pop bled into one another all across the radio dial. Even the biggest country stars were churning out synth heavy ballads so that kenny rodger & dolly parton & lionel richie & diana ross both released Endless Love ( horrible music either way 100% s chmaltz) around the same time. New Waved opened that door and as a little kid Burning Down the House was as funky as Atomic Dog. Shout Shout was as melodramatic as When Doves Cry. Wrapped Around Your Finger was as hypnotic as Human Nature. It was incredible, in the same way I'm sure having Fire & Rain following Ain't No Sunshine or Shout followed by Twist & Shout...

Ahhhhhhhh nostalgia...

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>