Laughing City
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Laughing I never watched Charmed, personally -- only could stand Shannon as Brenda.

I think my Intro. to Morrissey was via radio via How Soon Is Now in the early '90s. Didn't really care until the early 2000s though, when I became a stan that would probably have smacked Inorbit for the blasphemy he just committed (not that the Furs didn't have their charms).

But Nick was responsible for introducing us to quite a lot musically. Pete and Pete, which I really feel like I need to emphasize as being the greatest kids show of all time, had a pretty damn good soundtrack. And their theme song was pretty much perfect.

Quote:
The show featured music by such artists as Luscious Jackson, Nice, Drop Nineteens, Racecar, Chug, Poi Dog Pondering, Syd Straw and The Apples in Stereo. The music of Stephin Merritt can also be heard throughout the series, including songs from his projects The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths and The Gothic Archies. On the DVD commentaries, the director and the creators revealed that they tried to use a song of The Pixies, but could not afford the rights.

Robert Agnello was the writer and creator of numerous pieces of music for Pete and Pete. He wrote most of the Blowholes music such as: Marmalade Cream, Summer Wind, Piledriver and You Color my World. He also wrote One Lousy Dance which was sung by Iggy Pop and the Garbageman theme sung by David Johanson.

The storylines were just so creative...and bizarre. It could only have had a place in the '90s (which I realize could not have existed without the '80s - okay, O.K.).

But Nick, in general, had a lot going for it in terms of creativity and humor then. We had Ren & Stimpy, which belonged on MTV (not that I wasn't watching a lot of that too, despite not being allowed to Razz), frankly, and I think made its way over there eventually. We also had those little shorts. Don't know if anyone remembers Grilled Cheese Man, I think it was... Laughing And how Kenan ended up on SNL over Kel will remain an eternal mystery.

I think Nick studios was probably a lot more THC-friendly in those days.

Which reminds me, red velvet cake! Om nom nom.

johnip
Vintage Newbie

Pete and Pete and red velvet cake. Love
Vintage Newbie

Ren and Stimpy was ridiculous and hilarious to my tween self. Even back then it was obvious there was a lot of adult humor and general eccentricity in those cartoons. ???? And this was before There"s Something About Mary. But again, this was a cartoon written by men who came of age in the druggiest parts of our history, entertaining themselves primarily. Spongebob may be a tad more kid sympathetic, but I got introduced to it from rock & joint rollers I knew in college who were content watching the old school reruns on the cartoon network after last call in the mid to late 90s.

Neither beet or red velvet cake was to be had on any of those occassions. Pringles and dairy queen though...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Pringles and dairy queen though...

Genius combination.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

johnip wrote:
inorbit wrote:
Unregistered wrote:
hi yall!

Um, Blue Bell is makeing a new Red Velvet Cake icecream for May. I noticed that underneath their A Minor Bird it says Red Velvet. Just thought maybe a cool thing for a fun time would include new Red Velvet Cake icecream and the new Red Velvet Sucre CD! Smile

So this red velvet thing must be trendy now, or what (I'd be the last to know)? I'd never heard of it before a few weeks ago, and I've been to two events in the last week where somebody had made one.

Shocked Red velvet cake is one of the greatest things ever created!

I have to agree cause Blue Bell's Red Velvet Cake icecream that came out this month is my new favorite icecream flavor! Smile It's tied with Mint Chocoloate Chip! Very Happy
Sucre's Red Velvetness is a perfect match; a favorite ice cream flavor and an incredible creation Stacy Lynn King! Thank you God for all of this goodness Exclamation Mr. Green

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

God is great! Very Happy
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

tahruh wrote:
God is great! Very Happy
YES HE IS! Very Happy

<< prev | goto page