Laughing City
bruceleedisciple
Golly, Poster

Hello my fellow board members!!! I'm back!!! I have a question that I know most of you will be able to answer. the girls from eisley were in a music video for some indie band, and for the life of me I can't remember who the heck they are. I know christie was in it too. Help me out folks!!!!

www.myspace.com/georgeproject

www.purevolume.com/jesusworshiper
Joined: 02 Sep 2005 | Posts: 674 | Location: los angeles california
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ks1990
Lost at Forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVJ54VaOsuM&ob=av2e
bruceleedisciple
Golly, Poster

ks1990 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVJ54VaOsuM&ob=av2e

Yes!!! You rule.

In other news......anyone remember me!!!????

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I remember the Creepers thread THINK you started, that outed me as totally oblivious about 90s shoe fashion...

You meant

I was thinking it was another way to say quitters (like socks creeping down):

I was swiftly rebuked and redirected for my ignorance Embarassed

and at some point it ended up turning into a discussion of

Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Were creepers really a '90s shoe though (outside of very specific scenes)? I'd think they were more late '70s/early '80s, revived from the Teds (as far as their association with subcultures go).
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

If you are talking origins of the shoes popularity... well wiki says nope, sort of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothel_creeper

Let's just say it was a 90s retro ska/ punk trend that re-popularized them with a subculture and thus was a through point for those of us who came of age then, just like Bell-Bottoms made a minor comeback in women's wear.

...and now that I know the full name and origin of the actual shoes... I think the Lonely Island got it right after all Laughing

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

It does?

Teds = Teddy Boys; Malcom Mclaren, owner of Sex and manager of Sex Pistols = '70s.

And Joe's blue suedes are practically famous.

As far as them being revived, I did say specific scenes; I was thinking of psychobilly and punks that followed Ted fashion more so than ska, since they were mostly about loafers.

I was wondering if it got to the point where most people were wearing them, like granny boots/Docs.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was thinking of Gwen Stefani specifically first and foremost, but there were a lot of other middling bands of that generation that wore the Punk/ Ska/ Rocka/ Pyscho billy, uniform attire. Don't forget the brief Swing revival (which opened the door for the return of Brian Setzer, Mr. Rockabilly-Swing as far as a 6 year old me was concerned). I got that folks in the 90s were copping them from the New Wave/ Punk era. I was around a lot of punks of the hardcore indie and "art-school" variety around that time, and I saw a lot of Creepers in my college years. I could care less about fashion at the time or the names of the things. To me they were just Loafers with really thick soles that made them look more Extreme-The Buzzword that wouldn't die.

I don't think the completely crossed over like Birkenstocks w/ socks seemingly did.

Anyways, I found it interesting that the shoes came out of military fashion circa World War II (Northern Africa), but they don't say which side, could very well be Mussolini's boys.

Meanwhile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Martens were the product of a Nazi Dr. History is a funny thing eh?

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Did she? I can see her in the white checkered ones. I really don't remember (not very surprising). I always associated the Bindi with her though.

And I don't think I ever really liked the Stray Cats, not that I gave them much of a chance. Ah, 90210... (btw, kind of related but I was watching one of those reruns and who else was a guest but The Cramps! Too funny).

And lolirl @ Birks and socks. *Shudders* We really do only highlight the best parts when looking back, don't we?

But yeah, I knew about their (and the Docs') actual war origins. Don't think I ever put 2 and 2 together about Dr. Marten though!

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I wanna say she rocked a black and white pair, or similar type shoe, but again I was oblivious to fashion specifics and I also had a lot of resentment over the amount of ads (instead of features and reviews) in music magazines back then. It was like a 10:1 ratio Advertisements:Actual Copy. It's just a likely there was an add for a knock-off shoe by Candies/Lugz/Sketchers etc. with a Stefani look-a-like in it. She's rocking some nice two-tone (coloration, not the label) shoes in Just A Girl (and the faux pas bindi) and that is still a slick song to my ears. Just a great arrangement, great tones, yeah, it's a classic alternative tune if ever there was.

She wore a lot of those platform-ish soled shoes and boots, and rocked them with baggy slacks, which was the go-to combo before Wide-Legged jeans caught on and people started swapping the slacks for those. That is why she was the first/ main person that came to mind in my head. It could just as easily be someone in Lit or Green Apple Quickstep that rocked them hard, but those bands are forgettable so for me to remember their footwear is a major stretch. The idea of a random Rocker guy with Spiked hair, a short sleeve button up shirt, baggy pants and a wallet chain wearing creepers sounds about right as far as 90s generic-ness though. That was pretty much a uniform, one of several, but a uniform no less.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

I first became aware of them during the briefly and moderately trendy psychobilly revival in the mid 80's (where I was anyway). It centered almost entirely around the Clarendon in Hammersmith (Klubfoot was just what the Clarendon called their psychobilly night), but resulted in the sale of a lot more creepers than could possibly fit in the Clarendon at one time (it was just a pub, really). But yeah, they were a rockabilly/psychobilly thing mostly. And they looked more like this:

(although sometimes they'd have a single buckle instead),
although the rockabilly/ted ones usually looked more like this:

When the "alt" scene generalized in the very late 80's/ early 90's, and everything sort of merged together, you started seeing a lot more of them. Not sure what the story was in the US before that (because I wasn't here).
Those one's tended to be a bit tamer though, and circa 89ish were usually more this style:

(disclaimer, though, I was on the West coast... can't speak for elsewhere)

And by the time you got into the 90's there were more of these (imo horrid looking) hybrid things around that were more Sketchers/Lugz style that started showing up more and more amongst "alt" types:

(Gwen's weren't too bad though.

On Birks and socks, I would never try it (frankly, I'd never try Birks) but on the right feet (with enough credible granola) it could be pulled off rather well.

And as for the Cramps on 90210....
I just don't know what to say about that. I give up.

Talk about thread drift.

And Bruceleesdisciple, of course I remember you. Welcome back!
Last edited by inorbit on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Twisted Evil

When the Birkenstock boom hit the one thing that was "fun" was watching people break them out around campus once the temperature got anywhere near the 60s and sashay down the brick sidewalks en route to the inevitable cool-point obliterating stumble when that 90 degree angled sole met the 90 degree angled side of an up-cropping brick.

The thing that made it so amusing was the loud gunshot-like noise those shoes produced on impact that would almost always Startle the Birkenstocker in concert with that initial impact. You could hear it 100 yards away. Birds would scatter, people would stop in mid-sentence/ stride.

Those soles had no capacity for horizontal shock absorption so the recoil was in full. I only think I ever saw a full-on wipe-out though, which a good thing. I also remember my freshmen year that the entire class would move to one side of the room away from this guy who rocked his Birkestocks all the time, but apparently didn't rock good foot hygiene. I remember switching to that section of the class and wondering why seating was arranged the way it was... then I figured it out when homeboy crossed his legs. Evil or Very Mad

Yay College!!!

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

bigwilliestyle wrote:

She's rocking some nice two-tone (coloration, not the label) shoes in Just A Girl (and the faux pas bindi) and that is still a slick song to my ears. Just a great arrangement, great tones, yeah, it's a classic alternative tune if ever there was.
The lyrics are pretty nice too. Smile

Like I said, we had nice role models in the '90s, if you didn't have access to any Riot Grrrl (which I certainly didn't).

And thanks for the clarification. I actually briefly thought she was wearing the genre on her feet. Razz

inorbit wrote:

And by the time you got into the 90's there were more of these (imo horrid looking) hybrid things around that were more Sketchers/Lugz style that started showing up more and more amongst "alt" types:
The "goth," Hot Topic-y ones are absolutely horrific, but Joe's were not completely dissimilar, and I actually like them. On him, anyway.

inorbit wrote:
On Birks and socks, I would never try it (frankly, I'd never try Birks) but on the right feet (with enough credible granola) it could be pulled off rather well.
Are you feeling okay? Kinda worried...

inorbit wrote:
And as for the Cramps on 90210....
I just don't know what to say about that. I give up.

Don't give up now! That was 17 years ago (my God). You've made it by every day since!

Edit:
I remember you too, BLD! You're a fellow NFG stan, right? Very Happy

bruceleedisciple
Golly, Poster

So awesome that you remembered me because of my thread about creepers. Check out what I'm rocking at work right now.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Very Happy right on! Represent.

goto page
 | next >>