0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Android
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

in the usa here we pay way more for internet and cell phones than they do in europe.

people there get like crazy unlimited plans for way cheap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/technology/americans-paying-more-for -lte-service.html?_r=0

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
JBaker wrote:
My wife pay $15 a month for 250MB on hers.

250MB is still an option? Confused

Maybe it's 300MB then? I don't know, whatever plan she's had for a while. Something low like that.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
in the usa here we pay way more for internet and cell phones than they do in europe.

people there get like crazy unlimited plans for way cheap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/technology/americans-paying-more-for -lte-service.html?_r=0

Yeah it sucks. My "unlimited" LTE really only gets me 5GB before they throttle it to near unusable speeds (though thankfully I haven't hit that wall yet).
At least it's better than Verizon, who don't even let you keep the illusion of unlimited when you switch to LTE. Though I won't come close to saying the policies of either AT&T or Verizon are "good." I wouldn't mind Sprint or T-Mo if they had better coverage.

Vesuvius
Sea Post King

Android phones are for super users and nerds.
Windows phones are for everyone else.
IPhone is a super popular inferior product.Sad
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Vesuvius wrote:
Android phones are for super users and nerds.
Windows phones are for everyone else.
IPhone is a super popular inferior product.Sad

new person knows what';s up

except i would add

android markets itself to the every man and says it is simple to use. but to get the most out of it you need to be a super user/nerd

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
boone
Vintage Newbie

Been an iPhone user since the 3G. I'm a big fan of iOS, the end game seems to be to make every single component as functional and intuitive as possible. And since they don't have a lot of disparate hardware to deal with, the symbiosis of OS and phone is an engineering marvel. It's why my iPhone 5 just beats the GS3 in performance even though, if you look at the specs, the GS3 should be twice as powerful. I don't mind that Apple doesn't want you messing around with their design, because they happened to make it just like I wanted it.

I try not to bag other phones so much, but I do have my opinions. I think that, in trying to distance themselves from Apple, Android is making their UI more and more clunky and hard to maneuver. They could really spend more time streamlining and getting rid of those weird legacy phone quirks that make me feel like I'm using my old Ericsson Walkman.

Windows 8 I just can't stand. It's pretty, but maddeningly unintuitive. The 3G was my first smart phone, and even though I was worried because my mom's Blackberry was so baffling, I was relieved that I could use it for pretty much anything right out of the box. The first time I used a Windows 8 device, I couldn't close an app. There was nothing at all to indicate how, so I just moved to a different device, then another. Then gave up. I was later told how to close apps by somebody who read how to close apps because MICROSOFT HAD TO PUT OUT A PRESS RELEASE TO TELL PEOPLE HOW TO CLOSE THEIR APPS... Android and Windows' UIs seem so desperate to "out-cool" that of iOS, and in some ways they do, but one thing I appreciate about Apple is that they try to make everything usable first, and make sure new designs are solving some kind of practical issue, then they try to make it look pretty.

But I'd definitely be willing to check out Ubuntu's phone OS if it ever comes out.

Vesuvius
Sea Post King

How can you complain that a ui so customizable is too clunky? I could see the complaint that it takes more effort than you prefer to make it streamlined, but not that it is to clunky. If you don't like it, change it or code it yourself.

That being said, Android's biggest problem is text input. Every method available has an atrocious, unforgivable quirk. (I shouldn't complain, if I won't code something better, though)

That is an interesting defense of apple and the primary reason I dislike everything apple does so hard. They made it how they like it, yes, I cannot refute that... However, they didn't make it how I like it.

I run a custom ROM that I put together myself on one boot and out of the box ics for the other. My custom rom is faster, but I haven't seen an apple that can keep up with my bionic, even on the bloatware Verizon ROM version.

also: iTunes. I could write on and on about the lack of choices and awful defaults.. I cannot stand the way itunes handles music that I own. Why isn't the default a form of lossless compression? FLAC? Hello. I guess I will leave it at that, for brevity, but these are my concerns.[/u][/b]
boone
Vintage Newbie

I mean, yeah, if I had an Android phone, I could streamline it quite a bit by consolidating all the apps into two or three screens, getting rid of all the widgets and add-ons...and have a less attractive iPhone interface. How customizable is the Android UI, somebody? As far as I can tell, the default is organizing each screen by category, can you get rid of that?

The text input seems to contain the worst of the arcane leftovers from old phones. It's Razr bad.

I don't have a problem with iTunes. I sync from my computer library (to my iPod, I don't store music on my phone.). I rarely buy music from iTunes, so if I wanted to I could rip to Apple Lossless if I wanted. But AAC is practically lossless at 44.1khz, so I'll stick to that until I start collecting music at higher sampling rates.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

You can drag and drop apps, folders, and widgets where ever you want to any particular screen, tweek the backgrounds to whatever or certain live backgrounds you want.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Vesuvius
Sea Post King

You can code your own ui or use any third party you want or use a different ROM/OS if you wasn't...there is no limit. I like to use whichever program I want to rip/listen/backup/et cetera. And when I own music, I want to do with it whatever I want. I have to manage mybbrother's iTunes from 5 states away. Perhaps that contributed to my feelings in apple.

I understand I am a massive nerd and most people don't care about things that are deal breakers for me.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Vesuvius wrote:
How can you complain that a ui so customizable is too clunky? I could see the complaint that it takes more effort than you prefer to make it streamlined, but not that it is to clunky. If you don't like it, change it or code it yourself.

That being said, Android's biggest problem is text input. Every method available has an atrocious, unforgivable quirk. (I shouldn't complain, if I won't code something better, though)

That is an interesting defense of apple and the primary reason I dislike everything apple does so hard. They made it how they like it, yes, I cannot refute that... However, they didn't make it how I like it.

I run a custom ROM that I put together myself on one boot and out of the box ics for the other. My custom rom is faster, but I haven't seen an apple that can keep up with my bionic, even on the bloatware Verizon ROM version.

also: iTunes. I could write on and on about the lack of choices and awful defaults.. I cannot stand the way itunes handles music that I own. Why isn't the default a form of lossless compression? FLAC? Hello. I guess I will leave it at that, for brevity, but these are my concerns.[/u][/b]

You are the .1%.
That's awesome for you, but Apple is trying to make a phone for the masses. 99.9% of people don't even understand what "code your own ROM" means, let alone have the ability to do it. Dont like to have to worry about that stuff. Plus, a lot of the big Android phones now come with a locked bootloader, and rooting them is even harder than jail breaking an iPhone, wherein you can also customize how you see fit. Also, all the good (specs wise) Android phones are gigantic in size. I really don't want that. I was worried the iPhone was getting too big at 4 inches. The GS3 is way too big for me. I don't even want to get into that stupid Galaxy Note. The GS2 is the absolute maximum for size of a phone I would use on a day-to-day basis.

Those are a couple of the reasons I prefer iPhone.

Everybody should prefer whatever they prefer and be happy.

boone
Vintage Newbie

Vesuvius wrote:
You can code your own ui or use any third party you want or use a different ROM/OS if you wasn't...there is no limit. I like to use whichever program I want to rip/listen/backup/et cetera. And when I own music, I want to do with it whatever I want. I have to manage mybbrother's iTunes from 5 states away. Perhaps that contributed to my feelings in apple.

I understand I am a massive nerd and most people don't care about things that are deal breakers for me.

But I don't have to do that because I like iOS. Besides, I've never seen a UI that's been customized that isn't worse than the default.

You can use whatever you want to do whatever you want, I'm not taking your freedoms away. But syncing my iTunes to my iPod and using AAC compression works and sounds great. I can rip CDs, torrent, anything I want, so I don't see how that could be considered a con.

I don't think it's about being hard to please, it's that not everyone is an enthusiast, (even most Android users aren't) and engineering and elegance are as important to some people as customizable and modular designs are to you, and they each have their place. I, for one, will sacrifice customizability if it's unnecessarily clunky.

Vesuvius
Sea Post King

The privacy issues and security flaws are the deal breakers for me for iPhone. I wasn't saying that you have to like that stuff, just that you cannot complain that it is too clunky, when you choose it. That is like not liking a car because of the default radio stations it comes with.

I also said in the beginning that I thought android was for nerdy people and super users only. I do agree that they are a bit large. I have the bionic and I love it.

About locked bootloaders... I understand that most people don't want to read online about how to root their phone. But if they can google about OMGISBEEBERREALLYGETTINGGIRLSKNOCKEDUP!!!1!, decide they have cancer after looking at webMD or look up who played that one girl with red hair in the fifth element, why then, can't they look to see which phones got bad reviews because of the locked bootloader?

All that said, I agree that android isn't for everyone. I just think that the popularity iPhone has over windows phone is overmuch for the differences. Especially when considering security and privacy of each OS.
boone
Vintage Newbie

You're going to have to back up "privacy issues and security flaws," because I haven't a clue of what you are speaking. Especially considering Google's list of downright frightening privacy blunders.

I think your comparison is a little soft. It's more like me telling you that I like my Charger, and you saying, "But Dodges are notorious for their electrical problems. You should get a Corolla, there are a lot of aftermarket modifications and you can make it look however you want; I'm sure you can work a disc grinder."

Nope, I'll stick with my Charger.

Vesuvius
Sea Post King

I kind of jumped around a bit. I see where you got confused. I am not trying to argue that androids are for everyone. I was trying to say androids are for nerds and power users and I don't understand why the iPhone is so much more popular than windows phones. I am not at all arguing that an android would be better for you than your iPhone. I am not even saying that a windows phone would be better for you. For you, the iPhone may be the very best phone possible. A bit of this post will be about the morals of the companies and will stray away from phones a bit, but hang in there.

Quote:
All that said, I agree that android isn't for everyone. I just think that the popularity iPhone has over windows phone is overmuch for the differences. Especially when considering security and privacy of each OS.
I said this.

Quote:
You're going to have to back up "privacy issues and security flaws," because I haven't a clue of what you are speaking. Especially considering Google's list of downright frightening privacy blunders.
I understand that Google crosses some really bad lines. Especially if you keep up in the news about the illegal activity they have done in Germany and the States regarding WiFi privacy issues. I concede, Google is not a model for privacy. I will get to why I am okay with that for my in the car example.

But I used to be a complete Google fanboy. I watched all their developments with keen interest and supported everything they did. I have an overly developed sense of black and white right and wrong and for a while, Google seemed to fit in with that. Their motto, 'Don't be evil' particularly spoke to me. I didn't much of the development strategy of Apple and Microsoft (Apple, being the much lesser of the two Evils).

I have always hated Microsoft. Ugh... especially regarding practices of buying smaller companies and taking credit for the innovation they had achieved. I especially didn't like that credit was given to Bill Gates for things other people had written. Not only did he get the credit, but the people who had developed it often lost their jobs. Only the owners of the companies that wrote the software made off with money. The companies development, beta testing, QA, distribution, website, administrative department wasn't needed anymore. All that was needed was rights to the developed product.

Absolutely evil. Vile, dishonest and completely unacceptable. Worst still? I can't boycott them easily. I do use Linux here and there and have had jobs managing Linux or openBSD servers (sorry for not going into mac servers here, but that would require an entirely new thread), but I don't live in a large city. Most of the IT jobs I have available require windows. Not only am I stuck using it for school/whatnot. But I have to be an expert in helping other people manage it. My conscience is not silent about this.

Worst still? My fanboy company has started the same thing. They started buying companies that were a little off grid and selling their services as their own. Hey, at least most people don't know the names Google's CEO and he isn't getting credit, but still it makes me very sad. Google has done VERY attrocious things over seas and even here in our nation. The things they did overseas were worse, because most Americans don't care about what is going on elsewhere, so it isn't in the news. Most people don't know they hacked WiFi in Germany. Anyway... again I will get to more of this in the car example.

But then, there is Apple, right, the great innovators of all things that are good. Their sleek design and minimalist color schemes are stunning. But... what have they invented? What hardware inventions have they achieved after Steve Wozniak left in 87? (in order to be more brief I will let These guys cover that aspect. I guess the fact that they get so much recognition for using other people's ideas just rubs me weird.

Regarding the privacy issues... It isn't what apple is doing, really. It is what the iPhone's kernel design allows. Much of the private information on iPhones are kept in flat data files. They aren't encrypted. You can even open most of them in programs like notepad! I don't have time to look into if they have fixed it or not, but for a long time, you could just plug an iPhone into a computer, dig around and see all the GPS information since the phone was last formatted. Apps are able to grab this information! Currently apps are able to get your entire contact list and upload it if they like. This is crazy! Do you trust every app on your phone? Steve Jobs answer to this was, "Privacy means people know what they are signing up for." So... because the fine print warned you about it, it is okay?!

Now. This isn't to say that android doesn't have those problems. Windows phone doesn't. That was my comparison. I was saying that the windows phone is more private than the apple phones. Back to the cars.

Quote:
I think your comparison is a little soft. It's more like me telling you that I like my Charger, and you saying, "But Dodges are notorious for their electrical problems. You should get a Corolla, there are a lot of aftermarket modifications and you can make it look however you want; I'm sure you can work a disc grinder."

Nope, I'll stick with my Charger.
Corolla has been number one in safety and sales off and on for years. They look stupid in aftermarket stuff. I don't understand your comparison. I kind of think the 3g iPhone is more like that. It was overly popular for what it was and what it offered. If you pick charger for your car comparison, that is cool. I would like to offer another idea of what the android is like. The high end androids are much more powerful than iPhones, they come loaded up with more bloatware than is practical, they don't have very good privacy, they are larger than most people want to carry around and they take a good deal of technical know-how to even enjoy it.

Androids, as they come from the factory, are a Peterbilt semi truck, without locks, pulling a trailer of advertisements and useless apps. Who would want that? The guy that knows how to make it awesome, that's who. Not the average Joe.

So enjoy your Charger, man. I am not saying they aren't okayyyy. I just don't understand why they are THIS much more popular than Windows phones. And I will drive around my Peterbilt custom motorcycle.