Laughing City

Will you be seeing the movie on opening weekend?
Midnight showing!
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
At some point this weekend
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
I will wait.
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
I'm not going to see it.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

Christian
Sea Post King

The Hunger Games
http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 91%
(as of 3/21/12 8:11pm)
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hunger_games/

---

Who here is seeing a midnight showing or otherwise plans on seeing the movie this weekend?

I am seeing it at Lincoln Center tomorrow night with a friend, and I wouldn't be surprised if I go see it again either this weekend or next week. I read two reviews last night, which were thankfully not spoilery at all, and I am now more hyped up for this movie than any other in a long, long time. I've already spoken multiple times about my love for Jennifer Lawrence, so I'll save more gushing about her for a later post.

The only thing that makes me somewhat nervous --- don't read the tiny text if you want to stay spoiler free, although this is based off of assumptions made from watching the trailer --- is that it seems like Madge, the mayor's daughter, won't be included in the movie. It's not a huge thing, but it does affect some minor plot points/character emotions throughout the series. I'd heard that they changed three or four things for the movie story-wise, so I'm wondering now what the others are.

I am currently re-reading the book. I have all day tomorrow before the movie to finish. I cannot friggin' wait!! Ugh. I am so excited. Haha.

Below is a link to an interview with the director, Gary Ross, that I read yesterday if anyone wants to read it. I found it interesting. I know some people were skeptical of him directing this, but he sounds like he treated the movie with extreme care.

Interview here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88147
norad
Vintage Newbie

I hope to see it this weekend. I think I was more excited about the nail polish than the movie. Laughing
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

I'ma wait a few weeks to go see it once the crowds die down a bit. Plus, even though it's only over the first book, I wanna finish reading the other two first.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Gonna wait 'til I actually read the book. Which will be...uh...yeah, I have no time for pleasure reading. Some day!
Christian
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
Gonna wait 'til I actually read the book. Which will be...uh...yeah, I have no time for pleasure reading. Some day!

Reading the first book takes about 10 minutes. I work about 80 hours a week and still managed to finish all three books in 7 or 8 days. No excuse. Wink You should just get ahold of a copy and start! You won't be able to put it down once you do. It's an easy/quick read and certainly entertaining.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

10 minutes! Laughing

I'll have to borrow it from someone and give it a go then.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Ugh, that's another series I want to start. I was hoping to get through the first two before the next season of GoT, but that was a spectacular failure.

Edit: Lol... There was a post there...I swear I'm not talking to myself.

norad
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Ugh, that's another series I want to start. I was hoping to get through the first two before the next season of GoT, but that was a spectacular failure.

I wasn't actually sure if there wasn't any beheading since I didn't read the book so I deleted it. Laughing But you should read the books...or not, the second book was really boring.
Christian
Sea Post King

norad wrote:
tahruh wrote:

I wasn't actually sure if there wasn't any beheading since I didn't read the book so I deleted it. Laughing But you should read the books...or not, the second book was really boring.

Not that I want to derail my own thread, but since we are on the off-topic subject: does season one of GoT only cover a certain amount of the book series? Like...book one, or half of book one, or..? I have been waiting to watch the show until I've read the books, but I don't want to read the books until they are all out (which means I'll be waiting for years). As long as I don't get too far ahead though, maybe I could make a compromise with myself and try and just stay at the same place in both...if that makes sense. Or does it deviate so much that you can't really tell what they will incorporate from the book series?
norad
Vintage Newbie

Christian wrote:
norad wrote:
tahruh wrote:

Not that I want to derail my own thread, but since we are on the off-topic subject: does season one of GoT only cover a certain amount of the book series? Like...book one, or half of book one, or..? I have been waiting to watch the show until I've read the books, but I don't want to read the books until they are all out (which means I'll be waiting for years). As long as I don't get too far ahead though, maybe I could make a compromise with myself and try and just stay at the same place in both...if that makes sense. Or does it deviate so much that you can't really tell what they will incorporate from the book series?

Season one covers book one. It's also a very good adaptation with little deviation from the book story lines. Season two is going to cover book two. I think if there is a third season it will automatically get a fourth so they can break up book three into two seasons since there's so much happening and it's longer.
Christian
Sea Post King

Elizabeth Banks stole every scene she was in. Amazing. More tomorrow. I need sleep.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

I like the way this poll is shaping up. Laughing
Vintage Newbie

I get the impression you've been really lately, Tahruh?

I have too, but apparently not so busy I couldn't show off my elite ms paint & satirical skillz...

The Daily Show I'm yours!

P.S. I'll probably be able to find a way to get this into my thesis. I almost managed it with a chapter and a Vonnegut lolcat. Laughing

Anyway, yeah I'll probably see it, it looks good!

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I am kinda interested in this after seeing and reading some Jennifer Lawrence interviews. Hard to believe that she and Kristen Stewart are the same age. KS has acted old and cynical for so long I thought she was several years older.

Does JL laugh in this movie like Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times (what her real life laugh reminds me of)?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Sprocket wrote:
not so busy I couldn't show off my elite ms paint & satirical skillz...

The Daily Show I'm yours!

P.S. I'll probably be able to find a way to get this into my thesis. I almost managed it with a chapter and a Vonnegut lolcat. Laughing

Anyway, yeah I'll probably see it, it looks good!

Very Happy I've been hearing the same criticism (sort of like the Akira one for Chronicle). I watched the first 15 minutes of Battle Royal at work at a Uni about 7 years ago. Never went back, sort of forgot it existed until now.

Forgive me, but it makes me think of Naruto a little bit.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area