Laughing City
goto page
 | next >>
gRegor
the gEek

Hey everyone, I mentioned starting up a "round table" thread such as this in another thread. It basically came about due to complaints of the "newbie" threads.

First of all, we're working on a slightly new interface for the forum. Technically [geekily] it's called a portal. It means a new front page of the forum, which contains essential information like the latest announcements, introduction to the forum/registration, etc. This will make it easier for "newbies", so instead of seeing a slew of forums, they get the concise info they need to start off. From there the forum will look largely the same.

Second, after reading the previously mentioned thread, I realized it might be a good idea to create an "Introductions" forum specifically for new members.

Third, what things do you like/dislike about the forum? What would you like to see?

I can address one thing that might be raised - avatars. We currently don't allow people to upload avatars due to an already burdened bandwidth issue, plus (at least at the time) there seemed to be some security risks. When we move the forum to a new host, we may reconsider and allow uploadable avatars. In the mean-time, we'll have to stick with off-site avatars. Sorry for the inconvenience.

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

[edit] Paul must read the WHOLE post before commenting lol Laughing
Sea Post King

I think that an Introductions forum would be a marvelous idea.

On the avatar issue... what if you have a group of icons that people can choose from if they don't have an off site avatar they can link? Not the corny standard cartoon character type icons that come with some message boards... but a group of fan-made Eisley icons or other things of that nature. But still have the option for others to link to off site avatars.

Other than that... I can't think of anything.

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

what about a "help/suggestions" topic/forum explaining how to use avatars/post pictures etc...plus any problems someone may have with the forum they could post in there.I know it's probably explained on the forum already but the amount of newbies that ask is growing

also what about a video/computer games forum...that seems quite popular amongst a lot of people on here.

since 1979

hmm.. limit posts per day, or sell a cure-all pill for my compulsion to try to read every post. haha j/k Wink

"watch this category" or "watch this person's posts" would be a cool feature. but i dunno how much you're going to be customizing phpbb itself.

the only complaint i have is that if i check my email, click each link in each email to read all the updates, then click 'view posts since last visit' - i get all posts, plus the ones i just looked at. i'd like to get just the ones i haven't seen. maybe someone has a suggestion for me to do this better.

pvt.tucker.blue
Lost at Forum

Can I be a Knight of this here Round Table...???

I think the introduction page sounds cool... uh, what about an Entertainment page to encompass Movies, Games... other things like that to take the stress off the General page???

I love my forum Mom
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 1310 | Location: VA, but I don't throw beer at the stage
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

That like tutorials or something? Like how to use etc.? Or just a newbie spot? The sticky post was highly effective until just this week.

I'll keep thinking of stuff ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ali
since 1979

maybe it would be helpful to add moderators, or assign them to certain threads.. it hasn't gotten nasty here yet, but when that video starts to get more airplay it's gonna be nuts.
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

ali wrote:
maybe it would be helpful to add moderators, or assign them to certain threads.. it hasn't gotten nasty here yet, but when that video starts to get more airplay it's gonna be nuts.

That's definitely an idea. Yesterday I was browsing a guitar forum that I frequent, and someone mentioned Eisley. Of course, a comment was made about one of the Dupree girls that I won't repeat, and it really bugged me. It's nice that there's no one here that acts like that yet, but it could get a lot worse with the multitude that is sure to come here as a result of the video, album, tour, etc. Confused
The_Sympt0m
Vintage Newbie

can i be a moderator...?

-ben

PS please?

Protocol Droid

Maybe FAQ could be posted twice. Like where it is now, and actually in Eisley Blog at the very top. Same FAQ, two links.

If that's possible. Or maybe it could be in every section ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ali
since 1979

or an AI that will tell you you're stupid as you're typing things. but i don't need that, my brain does that for me.
trav
Lost at Forum

ali wrote:

This one is right, your board is going to start becoming rediculously loaded with new members and the like once your bands gains the recognition that it seems to be approaching. It may not be such a sound idea to initiate too many new forums, this tends to divide the board to a great degree, and you already have a lot of forums. Please be careful with who you allow to mod. These members need to be objective, and objectivity is not something that seems to dominate this board. Most importantly, try to organize the forums in a way that will conduct some stimulating conversation about music. Not everyone has to be "best friends" here, and soon enough you wont be able to keep up with all the people anyway, so dont jump on everyone who shows up here and isnt exactly in line with your tastes. It will make for a really dull board.

And Finally: take away emoticons (i know you wont do that) but honestly, they're really stupid.
Joined: 26 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1125 | Location: Austin, Tx/ Little Rock Ar.
MomentumShift
Vintage Newbie

Confused was this started because of my thread complaining about newbie threads all over the place and the suggestion made in it? Confused
gRegor
the gEek

+ MomentumShift: No, it wasn't started just because of that. I've been working on some stuff with Boyd lately to improve the forum. Your thread gave me the idea for the "Introductions" thread, and I just figured while we're at these changes, we might as well get everyone's input.

+ Yes, we can make avatar galleries. Good suggestion. I had forgotten about that.

+ Trav: one day isn't exactly enough time to tell whether the board members here are "objective" or not, is it? Laughing Smile No offense intended; nor am I saying you are wrong. I know we need some more moderators, and there will be more added. Nobody ask, please. We're not accepting applications. Very Happy

+ Ali: I'm not sure I followed you. Are you saying you subscribe to threads, and even though you click the link to check them out, they still show up under "view since last visit"? VSLV is based on your last logout time, so only if you logged in to view your subscribed threads could they be marked as "read". Uhmm.. if that made any sense. Confused Question

+ Good suggestions about tutorials and making FAQs more prominent [though how much more prominent than it's own forum be? I'm just being a logical geek.. kidding around]. Most likely we will implement something very conspicuous on the new portal page pointing people in the right direction for their questions, etc.

+ One thing I had forgotten to mention before: most likely we will be introducing "pruning" to the non-Eisley related forums. That is, threads which are inactive for X days will automatically be deleted. We'll probably set the threshold at 30 days.

goto page
 | next >>