Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Fine, ignore me...

Entitlement is one thing, but in any society where Artists are even allow to exist as part of society, artists need patrons to support their art. There is no egalitarian principle that coexists in a society where Fine Art is a legitimate commercial pursuit. We are all guilty and beneficiaries of this luxury. That's precisely what the consumption of Art is, a luxury. The creation of Art is equally a luxury.

So, let's just do the math. They are basically asking for roughly $10000 a year per adult to tour this record internationally. In order to do this they are not going to be able to work conventional jobs, in what is otherwise a crap economy. Anything they make make while on the road is basically going to serve the purpose of supplementing the cost of living in the rest of their lives. It's really not a lot of money. When you think of it as "A Band" and not 10 adults that changes things.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Also, Let it be said that asking for Tour backing is in a way, more honest than asking for funds to record, given recording takes place over a finite amount of time and requires a finite set of resources that can be managed, but I've seen a lot of artists project costs including instruments (in multiplicities, delineating makes, models, and vintages, implying that a 67' Gibson Les Paul was essential for that one guitar track for 30 seconds on that one song), amps, etc. In many cases the instruments already belong to the artist, and they are either reaching to justify their numbers, or deficit spending before hand and trying to recoup their losses. Touring is notorious for bankrupting acts, and it's costs are active and ongoing.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
MacRVA
Sea Post King

I'm currently living in abject poverty and I'm considering not eating for a month to find a way to come up with 500$ for this. Wanna see my favourite band touring the world and I wanna hang out with them when they do it. If they say they need 100 gs to do it, then I'll do my best to get them there. This is not complicated to me at all.

EDIT: Just backed for $500. I figure if I just go ahead and pledge it that will be my motivation fo scrounge up 500 before May 20th. Wish me luck haha.
eiswood09
Sea Post King

If I wasn't a poor international student, I'd definitely chip in. Some of the rewards are calling out to me Laughing

It's sad to see a lot of people angry over this though. They seem to think they're being greedy. I think everyone's forgetting the fact that traveling to multiple continents... definitely is not cheap (Since they plan to tour internationally). Taking that into consideration, $100,000 makes sense.

I hope they meet the goal. They've got to come to Australia!!

Lost at Forum

i love the cover of aeroplane.

but yea, i'm gonna save up for the demos and ep.

i've decided to stop reading other forums. most angry people seem to be noneisley fans which make me think of this mean girls scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFT35S7Jb4

in this case, someone needs to be yelling, "they don't even care about this band!"

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
PoorMe
Sea Post King

I'm chipping in. It's just a matter of how much. And I probably won't even get to see them on tour (coming to Toronto?) probably.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I'm definitely getting the Kickstarter EP but I'll probably go with the EP + Demos bundle. The live-stream acoustic Room Noises show is going to be cool too. Somebody has pledged $1000 for a cover song. I hope they pick something like Bohemian Rhapsody instead of a 2 minute Beatles song. Make 'em work for it heheh. Twisted Evil
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Last edited by Nowhere Man on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

I hope someone requests a cover of Free Bird. Razz
boone
Vintage Newbie

PoorMe wrote:
I'm chipping in. It's just a matter of how much. And I probably won't even get to see them on tour (coming to Toronto?) probably.

I bet Canada is a goal.

I like to imagine that they're planning on kind of a road show that will last a couple of years. It'll be like the circus coming to town, but with DuPrees.

But, instead of ruining their personal lives like most bands do when they tour the world for three years straight, they're really planning it out and doing it right, and that takes a lot of things upfront, as opposed to just leaving and having a booking manager adding shows as they come and you don't know when and where it's going to end but somebody's probably going to pass out and get divorced.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I think the Cover said it was for the person only, so I don't know if they could share it anyway. Kinda like the Max songs. I guess they can still be put online though. They would definitely know who put it up then though.

Paranoid Android?
Smashing Pumpkins have several multi part long songs.
The Fiery Furnaces and of Montreal have several, too.
Fiery Furnaces do/did it so much it makes it hard for me to listen to them.

I got it - Surf's Up by The Beach Boys. People who don't know the song will assume it's one of the early surf songs they are known for, but it is a beautiful complex post Pet Sounds song.

boone
Vintage Newbie

"Surf's Up" is my favorite Beach Boys song. It's incredible. And, like the best Brian Wilson songs, it was written in like 10 minutes.
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

Actually, if someone wanted to really get their money's worth, go with Rush's 2112. That's a good 20-minute long song.

I can think of a lot of really good songs I would love to hear them cover, but there's no way I can afford $1000 unless I started my own Kickstarter to fund a contribution to a Kickstarter. But if I did, my first choice would probably be All You Wanted by Michelle Branch. Or maybe Break Your Heart by Barenaked Ladies.

Okay, I'm gonna stop before this turns into a whole giant list of songs I'd love to hear them cover.

treetops12
Vintage Newbie

I really want to know what the unreleased/demos are. If Lady of the Wood, Mr. Pine, Silver Bugs and Queen of Leaves are possibilities, I would be willing to spend a large sum of money to hear them... as I'm sure others would. It would probably help their cause even more if they revealed the names of some of the songs... at least the ones we've heard of. I'll most likely pledge $60 even though I can't afford to, just in the hopes of hearing some Room Noises B-sides.

I hope it's not just The Baby because I already have that.

MacRVA
Sea Post King

Not to turn this into a thread of songs you'd like to hear them cover but if I was gonna do it, definitely Metallica, probably Creeping Death or Master of Puppets. Because how cool would that be?
Jared x
Lost at Forum

If I had the money to get a cover...it would maybe be of one of these songs:

"Breathe Me" by Sia
"Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman
"Shake It Out" or "Never Let Me Go" by Florence + The Machine
"Transatlanticism" by Death Cab for Cutie

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>