Laughing City
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

vague hints of peep show -> superstition era Siouxie, particularly in the use of rhythm.

Not quite the tour de force that Drink the Water was imo- still quite nice though.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:

As far as album continuity, with 4 songs available in one form or another, this is going to be the most cohesive production and songwriting they've done since Laughing City and Marvelous Things. Happy 10 year anniversary Eisley, you done good.

"Well" will, not "good." Laughing

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
tungsten
Sea Post King

I don't love it like I love Drink the Water, but it is dynamic and amazing nonetheless.
tungsten
Sea Post King

This one floats in and out from being beautiful to creepy. This will take longer to soak in.
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Listened to the whole song.
I just like my music to be pretty and melodic.
This sounds so chaotic and messy and grating.

Oxygen Mask is pretty.
Kind is pretty
Just for reference
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Fair, I like tension and dynamics at play in music and much as I enjoy blissful melancholy. I can totally see why you would feel this song is grating. It's a rock song on the hush tip, which is part of what I like about it. It does a similar think as Deep Space, where it builds to a propulsive chorus out of what is an otherwise pretty chill verse.

This is definitely what I would call ear candy. There isn't anything completely obtuse and purposefully asynchronous, but it's mixed and structured to max out the "interesting" parts of each element of the arrangement. I'll give them this, the mix, with drums being up front along with vocals and bass, is closer to the live mix of a band's actual sound given the volume those elements typically have due to how much they are amplified, naturally & via the PA.

Ultimately, I will admit that playing drums is the funnest part of recording for me, and though I am completely self taught and play by feel, I really appreciate technically sound, and up front in the mix drumming.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Chaotic? Laughing

Pretty good... Probably needs a few more listens.

mandy
Sea Post King

yeah I don't really understand the comments about it being chaotic or grating. Once the intro part is over and the main part of the song starts I just get kind of a classic rock vibe out of this. Somebody said Drink The Water seemed to pick up on the same feeling as Laugh It Off and I don't think this one stands out as having much of a different feeling. For some reason the verses make me think of Heart, but that could just be me being crazy or something.

Whatever the case I do agree that this seems it will be the most cohesive release they've had in a long time and I'm pretty excited to hear the rest of the songs.

eiswood09
Sea Post King

The Man In The Moon wrote:

i'm usually on the fence of stacy songs. i mean i love oxygen mask, and sucre, but usually i prefer sherri's songs more. this one is a pleasant surprise.

Well, technically this is a Sherri song. She commented on instagram that she wrote "Currents".

Lost at Forum

eiswood09 wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:

i'm usually on the fence of stacy songs. i mean i love oxygen mask, and sucre, but usually i prefer sherri's songs more. this one is a pleasant surprise.

Well, technically this is a Sherri song. She commented on instagram that she wrote "Currents".

so i guess this might be the song that sherri mentioned over the summer as the song perfect for stacy's vocals.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

"Chemical Reaction" is chaotic. This is just groovy. This is the first Eisley song I think I've ever heard and immediately thought that it could hold up on the radio. I would honestly use "Currents" as an intro to Eisley.

And the great thing is that these newer Eisley songs are all reminding me so much of the baby stuff -- "Lady Get Away" and "Aristicats" especially, re: the drums. I'm just hoping Stacy's Brutal-Booty-Beauty mantra will hold throughout the record.

http://inconnumag.com
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
"Chemical Reaction" is chaotic. This is just groovy. This is the first Eisley song I think I've ever heard and immediately thought that it could hold up on the radio. I would honestly use "Currents" as an intro to Eisley.

And the great thing is that these newer Eisley songs are all reminding me so much of the baby stuff -- "Lady Get Away" and "Aristicats" especially, re: the drums. I'm just hoping Stacy's Brutal-Booty-Beauty mantra will hold throughout the record.

Ahem, the proper order was Beauty, Brutal, and Booty Laughing But yeah, glad the majority of us are getting into this, cause compared to The Valley, this is another 180, which would make it a 540 from Room Noises. They honestly can do any kind of music they want, and pull it off to the satisfaction of people who dig that particular style to some degree. It's inspiring to see them go for it.

And I kept from saying this before, but These songs are what I was expecting Sucre' to sound like. A Minor Bird was LOVELY, but it was short on the Brutal & Booty. It was more Beauty, Blissful, & Broody, which is great.

I've been listening to My Brightest Diamond lately, and I feel like that's a nice primer for this. I'm going to get back listening to Bats For Lashes too. Seems apropos.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tungsten
Sea Post King

After dwelling on the song for awhile I'm afraid it has grown less favorable. It can't decide if it wants to be uplifting or dark. The way it weaves in and out between those two emotions leaves me feeling confused.

in conclusion: I'm a huge fan of the general direction of the sound and I LOVE parts of it. I love the lyrics. Overall, this one left me just wanting more Drink the Water.
boone
Vintage Newbie

This isn't chaos, it's syncopation. The parts are layered in ways you're not expecting, but the groove is really deep in the pocket. That gives it a propulsive sound that makes it feel like it's pulling you into it, like a really great Tiki Fulwood beat. In fact, this song is super funky. I love it.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

So a friend and I decided the issue we have with the song is the chorus: it becomes a bit generic and tries a little too hard to hook the listener. It feels like it's trying too hard to be a single, and that's unfortunate, because there's so much that's otherwise good about it.

Edit: Listening to Drink the Water again now. Damn. Would've been a better choice, imo.