Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Ok now that LP 4 is out let's get talking about LP5 !!!

The transition from Room Noises to currents has been very observable in both music and lyrics.

What I would like to see is an album with a theme. I think it the band got together and said, this is what we want to say, and released songs that fit that, it would be amazing.

Three words

Eisley concept album

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Stacy said the Valley was a concept album, and told a story from beginning to end. She sequenced the track listing on that one.

So... you are saying you want another Eisley concept record. Or perhaps you want one with a more specific, less common theme, other than the pitfalls of a relationship(s) gone wrong? Deep Space had a theme of sorts too, more about cherishing love and relationships through good an bad, from start to twilight. But again, that's a universal theme in music.

At this point I am going to treat Eisley (proper) albums as Avengers movies. They will punctuate cycles of Dupree family output that will be varied but enjoyable.

I'm honestly more excited to see if they keep the LP to EP cycle going so we have less time between completely new music, so that next May we will be getting 4 or 5 new songs in cd or download format we can buy, maybe even vinyl.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i guess i never made the connection with the valley.

i know most albums are "concepts" since they are usually written around the same time and written with a theme.

i was thinking concept more like dark side of the moon. wish you were here.
like that.

i also like the lp ep cycle.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was totally thinking you were thinking Pink Floyd/ Prog Rock style concept album. I actually think Currents has one in regards to a person taking life into perspective and contemplating what it means to them while reconciling their mortality. I think that's the "spiritual" tilt of the lyrics that's made a few people around here a little less comfortable with the lyrical content. Currents is like an invitation to embrace something beyond your normal existence, Millstone is a contemplation of that something beyond while your in the midst of living, while Shelter is reconciling that something is really all you can hold onto into your time here is done. The other songs touch an aspects of this, but those three songs along with Blue Fish, Currents, and The Night Comes are my current favorites.

But yeah, I think it may actually be there. But all music is open for interpretation.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Wow, LP 5 discussion already???? Laughing

Yeah, I was going to say, I would call "Currents" their concept album...even before the "Valley" (I never thought of that as one, even knowing that Stacy put the track listing together in a certain order...but I never really tried to figure it out besides specific situational themes that we happen to know the stories behind...maybe it deserves a revisit?).

What Will described is the way I saw the album moving along in a very thematic way: contemplating the currents of life and all the joys, questions, problems, etc. a person may go through. When it comes to that, even without background knowledge like we have before, you can tell the track listing, song choice, etc. was all given careful consideration.

Before hearing the songs, I even thought they were pushing it a bit with Currents, Blue Fish, Drink the Water being the first three tracks...but now seeing how the titles fit with the songs, I really love how they did that.

My wish for LP 5---to keep putting their creativity together to make interesting music and, yes, continue the LP/EP cycle. Can't say no to more music!
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Don't forget Kim's pushing them for a lullaby album.

I'd like to see them explore the electronic aspect a little more and maybe do an orchestral album. I'd like it to be different from sucre though with it being a little edgier and more drum and bass focused.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
MacRVA
Sea Post King

I want Eisley to record a Queen-esque rock opera. I will settle for nothing less.
mandy
Sea Post King

MacRVA wrote:
I want Eisley to record a Queen-esque rock opera. I will settle for nothing less.

This would be pretty sweet

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

mandy wrote:
MacRVA wrote:

This would be pretty sweet

OH. MY. GAAAWD.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I could see the rock opera coming from Perma, but I don't think Eisley are big on melodrama collectively. Sherri, on the other hand, BRINGS IT when it comes to dramatic intensity. I think she and Max together could tackle that and easily trump The Black Parade and American Idiot. She is great at emotional tension, and he's great at exuberant catharsis.

If I have a wish for LP 5 it will be this:

An album that starts off with a song as invigorating as Lights Out, peaks in the middle with a song as mesmerizing as I Could Be There With You, and Ends with a song as incredible as Marvelous Things.

mandy
Sea Post King

They do seem to like ending on slower/more mellow songs and I think a kind of abrupt ending would be really interesting. There are more options for how to track an album than what they do. They tend to stick with similar formats.

I agree about Sherri being the one who would bring the kind of intensity and melodramatics needed for a rock opera type album, but I think if they set their hearts on it they would do amazing collectively. Though perhaps you're right that it would be better as a Perma project.

freakinalex
Lost at Forum

I'd just like to point out that we're 10 replies deep into a thread about concept albums and no one has mentioned Tommy yet.

Can Eisley just do Tommy? I'd enjoy that.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That deaf dumb & blind kid sure plays a mean MMORPG...

MacRVA
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
That deaf dumb & blind kid sure plays a mean MMORPG...

I LOLd
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i wonder what deep space would've been like if it'd ended up being an album instead of an ep.

goto page
 | next >>