Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Nowhere Man wrote:
bigideas wrote:
This MO thing keeps getting mentioned, but I had never heard of them. Wikipedia mentions a debut single in 2013, so that is pretty new. Not sure why they would be in the same breath as Bjork. Bjork was making albums when they were in diapers. Ha. Are they literally in her company?

I'd never heard of them either. My point was that Stacy wasn't influenced by MO or these other current bands, rather they were all influenced by Bjork.

And my point is that they could be contemporaries of one another. Geez.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I think there have been 3 independent mentions of MO, and in the deserted landscape era of LC, that is pretty major. How are people coming across the group? Did a member of Eisley pimp them on social media?

I'm way behind of Eisley music pimping. The last one I seem to remember is Sherri really liking Hail Social.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Instead of Bjork I think I would compare it to Poe circa Haunted instead. Young and Free has a great groove that invites a little boogieing that you just don't get from Bjork. Bjorks dance tunes lean on euro techno styles, and the swag of american dance music/ urban styles have never been her style. This is a US thing going on.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Well we were talking about the fat synth sound not comparing anything else so much. I've never heard her mention Poe as an influence.
I feel like I've heard pretty much the exact opening part before in an old song but then I can't remember where. This has been happening lately, it's probably musical deja vu. My brain glitches and screws itself and it's just remembering what it heard a second ago.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just to clarify, I am comparing, I'm not trying to figure out an influence or inspiration. More, it just sounds similar to Poe's album Haunted or something of that ilk. Edgy alternative pop with creative flair, but not at the expense of accessibility.

Any yeah, I'm with you on the De Ja Vu musically. It does sort of sound like something. It's almost like they took a string part from somewhere and looped it and distorted it?

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

It's interesting because it's easy to listen to Young and Free and re-imagine it with a 'When We Were Young' type string arrangement. Either would have worked, the edgier synthy bassy sounds are almost like the logical progression of Chemical Reaction.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Actually, the fuzzed out tone is absent on the verse strings and the 2nd part of the chorus. A very Depeche Mode thing when I think about that analog synth/ fuzz bass tone.

It dawned on me that the other factor that really gives this song an edge that was missing quite a bit on A Minor Bird: Snare! The Snare and stick work (doesn't sound like hi-hats, and more like rim strikes or wood block) really provide a kick in the pants to the energy whereas A Minor Bird went for a more orchestral approach. It sounded like mallets and brushes, more toms than snare for the most part.

I really do love when a wicked drummer is EQ'd for effect and mixed upfront, but not too loud. That is the hip hop head in me coming out.

tungsten
Sea Post King

regardless, the synthy bass parts still emerge stronger than its string sections. My point was just that it could have been completely string based (more like When We Were Young) and still have sounded magnificent, but it's that edgier choice that gives it some wallop.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I wasn't arguing against you, just wanted to acknowledge the presence of the strings after listening to it again after having streamed it few times when the stream went up. No contentious intent on my part just a continuation of the analysis of the tune.

Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
tungsten
Sea Post King

Gotcha, and you are right, there are still some signature Jeremy Larson strings in there for sure! Excited to hear the full arrangements on the other tracks.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

listening now. hooked on the very first note. so far more impressed than A Minor Bird.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
tungsten
Sea Post King

Definitely love A Minor Bird more, but the Loner EP is great. EPs are just so short, they barely scratch that itch. 'Loner' is my favorite.
tungsten
Sea Post King

Loner - Ep is at #14 on Itunes Alternative Albums!!!
tungsten
Sea Post King

now #12.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

...not buying the digital to make sure I coax my arse to Springfield to get a physical copy! Still a bit frustrating, but worth it in the long haul as motivation.

I will be a little miffed if Princesstripandfall buys em' all up though!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>