Laughing City
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Can you think of any super successful that didn't write songs for other people?
Now that you say that, I can think of a few who used to head 90's alternative bands who have low key solo careers and usually write for other artists - the lead singers of Tonic, Better Than Ezra, and Semisonic, I think.

I can't think of anyone with a prior career of any standing who moved there and then got big/had success outside of the country genre (Darius Rucker).

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

All the acts I know, are niche artists in the indie rock circles from the same time period as Eisley. Notable is a subjective term. Most their don't go there and get successful so much as go their and make a stable life for themselves.

Here are the may affiliates I know of in Nashville doing or having done solo work and production work/ songwriting:

Dave Elkins - MAE

Michael Shepherd - Lovedrug

Stephen Christian - Anberlin

Wesley Blaylock - Deas Vail

Those are all acts that have been associated with the baggage of being forseen as quasi christian rock.

It just so happens that a bunch of CCM lablels are based out of Nashville so it works for these artists if they have been signed to them at some point.

Dan Haseltine - Jars of Clay

Now, I don't connect them with Eisley, but in that same thread of band you have more people who have set up shop down there from that kind of background.

Chris Shinn - Live / Unified Theory is there now, originally from NC, then moved to Los Angeles which is where he got his shot to join UT on a Major Label and eventually connect with Live. He has a studio down there and has done a solo record and worked with Live in PA building their own.

There are a ton of others from the mellow side of 90s alternative, and newer singer songwriters who at times have edged towards a country feel. But again, I haven't considered it a move up the food chain to make it, more a mood towards the center of the boat to get some stability. Here's an article about the scene down there.

http://www.spin.com/2014/06/ben-todd-nashvilles-dead-diy/

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tungsten
Sea Post King

Leigh Nash is out of Nashville, I think Sixpence None the Richer was originally out of Texas but now both Leigh's solo stuff and Sixpence's is out of Nashville. Their last album Lost in Transition got no attention but it was a great record.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was pretty sure she was there too. She's done some recording with the 90s guys Bigideas mentioned if I recall, like Glen from Toad the Wet Sprocket I think and some other folks. Pretty sure she's gigged with Mindy Smith and a few other people I follow who are down there too.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

Yes, I know she has done guest vocals on some of Mindy Smith's stuff!
fragileaswelie
Sea Post King

Can I just express how excited I am for Stacy/Sucre striking it out on her own? She was a total rockstar when I saw her live last year.

Edit: Anyone having luck deciphering the lyrics?

Back in the day Eisley commented on my myspace with the following:
'Somebody is sure you love
"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no
matter what that means Smile'

@fragileaswelie
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Ok i should read this forum more. i admit it i'm slacking.

being a native and resident of nashville (and i'm not even white, lol), i've been telling people that nashville is the place where great musicians and bands come to get mediocre and average status musicians and bands come to die (mostly joking of course, but...). but literally everyone has relocated here and it's weird. a lot become commercialized and lose what me and a lot of friends liked originally about them. kinda why me and a lot of friends who grew up in the city started pursuing punk, metal, experimental, or art music.

musicians and bands with members that are based here now that come to mind:

jack white
vanessa carlton
kesha (well, i know she's from here)
deer tick
the black keys
relient k
better off
paramore (of course)
haste the day
timbre
walter egan
kings of leon
taylor swift (see note for kesha)
linear downfall
pujol
jeff the brotherhood
turbo fruits
be your own pet
the kills
miley cyrus
brian "head" welch (korn)
memphis may fire (matty mullins)
i use to see mindy white everywhere. haven't seen her in a while or i don't notice, ha.

and then of course every country music star on the planet, haha.

also dave grohl and wayne coyne are known to hang here from time to time.

oh, apparently one of the live guitarist of NIN from the the 90s also lives here. he bought me ice cream on world goth day, ha.

-----
anywho, i hate to say this, but i am kinda looking forward to eisley without stacy as i enjoy their guitar driven aspect a lot more typically. i love sucre, and i feel like that is more fitting for stacy anyway (ie. some of her songs off the baby would be perfect). overall, her songs are usually not my favorite in terms of eisley, but when put to sucre or tracks like this, i think they're brilliant. also, it seems like stacy's moving in more of an electronic direction in terms of writing which i can get down with.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

tungsten wrote:
I definitely hear what you are saying, but nonetheless the facts are as such:

1. On instagram a while back, on a post where Stacy mentioned she was working on music, someone commented and said: "For Sucre or for Eisley?" She replied: "For Sucre".

2. On tour, she introduced herself and said, 'Hello everyone, I'm Sucre'. Her blog also describes this further, saying, 'Sucre' is the name I go by (getting clearer that Sucre is now very much just Stacy, not a trio comprised of Larson/King/King); a la 'A Fine Frenzy'.

3. Instagram now says 'Solo Artist / Fashion Blogger'

4. Sherri and Chauntelle have both been mentioned in posts by either Boyd or Eisleyofficial about writing for the new Eisley record, no mention of Stacy.

5. Boyd posted a picture of Chauntelle and Sherri (on keys) and said 'Preview of things to come', no Stacy in the photograph.

They're trying to gently let us know dude!

where's the photo in number 5? i missed this.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

MITN - but Stacy playing guitar has been that awesome secret weapon we haven't hardly seen enough of (Just like we do, Sad live). Basically you're rendering that to the dustbin.

On one hand Stacy's lead vocals have been feature in most of songs that were singles or were licensed for tv that they pushed the hardest on the last 2 LP releases, Ambulance, the Valley, Drink the Water & Currents. And Laugh it Off was just a gem, and never failed to come off sounding gorgeous live, flattering the band as a whole.

We've seen Sherri handle all the vocals and she was great, but to do their whole repertoire they are going to need to add someone who can play guitar and keys to the touring line-up if she doesn't tour. If she's not writing that doesn't exclude her from performing. So we'll see I guess.

The odd thing is that things have come full circle if she does strike out and part ways with Eisley, since, according to their old bio she asserted her will to be accepted into Sherri and Chauntelle's duo in the beginning.

Last edited by wilsmith on Sun May 31, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
tungsten
Sea Post King

Wil could be right, I'm just trying to gently prepare myself for all the possibilities! Ideally, I would like to see Stacy fully pursue Sucre while also remaining a central part of Eisley. If that's impossible, I'd lean towards her pursuing Sucre fully.

Here's the link to the photo with Sherri on keys:
https://www.facebook.com/eisley/photos/a.145574909769.109475.825767976 9/10152900286094770/?type=1&theater
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

On more than one occasion she has complained about playing guitar and lamented practicing her parts so and since she plays rhythm mostly plugging someone else into that role is workable. The best way to easy the blow would be to bring in someone the fans would actively root for to play guitar: one of garron's siblings (Madison sat in with Merriment recently right?), Weston's wife Jessie (sp?) Who sang in lovebeat, Todd who played with chauntelle, garron, and Weston in the Pre-merriment Christie Dupree band. Barron could also move to guitar and ha, what if they brought Jonathan back on bass?

But I think to get Fan support to it's maximum, bringing Kayla in on guitar would probably make so many people swell with joy. Who knows what the future will bring though?

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

bigideas wrote:
Has anyone simply asked any of them? Ha.

The thing about Nashville is that it is primarily Country.

And also CCM? Could that perhaps be relevant?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ The CCM thing is a thread I was going to point out with most of the rockers I named, cause though all said their bands were not christian, but had christians in them, most all were signed on labels considered to cater towards CCM (Tooth and Nail, Militia Group, Solid State etc) and toured with acts in those circles.

Though not addressing it head on, in her last couple of blogs Stacy did also mention that she wasn't the only Dupree moving to Nashville. http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sucre-13985160?post=4361406451&group=0& frame_type=a&context=post_page&context_ids=&blog=13985160&frame=1&clic k=0&user=0&viewer=true

Sounds like Colin and Karsyn are moving up too. That they have their own project, which someone posted about, puts Merriment in the same boat as Eisley, for those who don't believe the bands can't survive not being in close proximity when not working on music towards a release or tour.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I'm surprised the Collin thing hasn't gotten its own thread.
From what I've heard, it sounds pretty good.

Did anyone report on the Eisley related show in Tyler yesterday?
I only saw later that it was moved to their church, aka Brewtones.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I remember it going up in here but for the life of me I can't find it now. I liked it at the time from what I heard. I'll have to dig around again. You should just create a thread.