Laughing City
RogueBoy
Sea Post King

okay, i know i've had a little whinge already about some of you thinking that Eisley should fit some covers into their live set, but here's a new whinge:

why are the covers to both EPs rubbish?

it reminds me of Creed. that is a very bad thing, if you are not musically literate. I don't mean to take the high ground here, or maybe I do, but think about it: think of the great album covers. the ones that really went with the music. I just don't think that Eisley's are very good, and they are certainly not deserving of a band that does so much for me.
I'm not saying that it will stop me from ever buying one of their records, and it will certainly not put me off their music, but i think it's a shame, that's all.

cya later

Rob
boyd
Eisleyoid

thanks alot.

rubbish is relative.

jackson pollock is rubbish.
andy warhol is rubbish.
norman rockwell is rubbish.

the band liked the covers.
WB liked the covers.
management liked the covers.
plenty of fans like the covers.
you can't please everyone.

rubbish is relative.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Ouch.

I made those!

Not really, it was Boyd. And — as a professional designer myself — I was highly impressed with them. The strong graphic design that is attached to almost everything related to the band really had/has a pull on me. And I'm still impressed. Laughing City is one of my favorite albums covers ever. Though I think the insde and back of Marvelous Things are stronger, its cover is also as good as about anything else I see out there. That's my honest, professional and personal opinion.

I can't wait to see what Boyd turns out for the full length. He's crazy good. Really.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

the covers kind of do fit the music. you know, different. not like everyone else. a bit creative and mystical, perhaps?
Gameboybob
Vintage Newbie

you really are a rouge boy...

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=gameboybob

http://www.myspace.com/thegameboy
Joined: 01 Aug 2003 | Posts: 5453 | Location: Nagoya, Japan
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

RogueBoy wrote:
okay, i know i've had a little whinge already about some of you thinking that Eisley should fit some covers into their live set, but here's a new whinge:

why are the covers to both EPs rubbish?

it reminds me of Creed. that is a very bad thing, if you are not musically literate. I don't mean to take the high ground here, or maybe I do, but think about it: think of the great album covers. the ones that really went with the music. I just don't think that Eisley's are very good, and they are certainly not deserving of a band that does so much for me.
I'm not saying that it will stop me from ever buying one of their records, and it will certainly not put me off their music, but i think it's a shame, that's all.

cya later

Rob

what exactly is "rubbish" about the covers? How can you criticize the covers and not explain why?.How does it remind you of a creed cover? they are nothing like creed cd covers btw.What would be a fitting eisley cover to you? I personally think the covers fit pretty well with eisley's music. Could you do any better?

Vintage Newbie

Wait a minute... rubbish is relative?!!

Hmmm... I like the sound of that. It would make for a good band name I think.

(Note to self... buy rubbishisrelative.com.)

As for the covers... I like 'em. I think the Laughing City cover is the better of the two. I don't quite understand it... with the shadows of the band members and stuff... but it looks nice. Kind of old fashioned looking... and the colors remind me of the forum and web site.

Or something...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I really do like the Marvy Things cover. It grows on me more every day. Or is that a Killer Fungus?

Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

I think the covers are great for EPs, but I would imagine something a bit more simplified and cohesive for the full-length. That's not any of our calls, though, and it's a bit harsh to call Boyd's work rubbish, even if you don't like it. There's no denying that it's well-done, at the very least.
RogueBoy
Sea Post King

The album cover for "Laughing City" isn't that bad. But on the scale of things it is nowhere near "Nebraska" (Springsteen), "Blue" (Joni Mitchell), "Electric Ladyland" (Hendrix) or "The Queen Is Dead" (The Smiths). The cover for "Marvelous Things" just looks amateur-ish, as if it was made more by a computer than a person. the whole thing reeks of Photoshop filters as opposed to an artist trying to find a specific idea. and whoever said Jackson Pollack was rubbish was, in my opinion, wrong (unless the point was more about the use of "rubbish" than an actual opinion regarding the artist). I know he didn't paint for this purpose, but the use of one of his paintings on the cover of Ornette Coleman's "Free Jazz" suited its subject perfectly.

I have to say that I prefer photography as a general album cover rule. I know that may seem a little narrow-minded, but if the music suits the cover then I can appreciate it (for example Autechre's "Confield" or Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures" - neither are photographs). I reckon that the cover for "Marvelous Things" could have been better were it a photograph, as the format is quite similar. Unless the band were trying to say something with it being computer designed. I also concede that the image may have been designed not by a computer but by a person using a computer, but this again stinks of "look what i did on the computer" syndrome, as opposed to an artist to a vision. I know I sound like an arsehole, so somebody please set me straight on this one..

rob
(already feeling like a traitor only 1 day since joining the forum)
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

RogueBoy wrote:
rob
(already feeling like a traitor only 1 day since joining the forum)

not at all..you don't have to like everything with eisley written on it.I just wanted to know why,now you've answered so all is well

Protocol Droid

Heh ... you just sound like you like stuff from people who suffer from "look what I did with my camera" syndrome. I do both Photoshop and camera. I know good and bad examples of both. But enough, we're all entitled to our opinions.

So, welcome.

RogueBoy
Sea Post King

PS

look at the album covers for "Human Clay" or "Weathered" by Creed and you must surely see the similarities..

admittedly the Creed covers are worse simpy because Creed are an awful band, but that is why Eisley should consider a different approach for the new record. don't ya think?

rob
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Color pallet, I suppose. Creed's album covers really weren't as annoying as the music. A better illustrator on the second one would have helped immensely. It wasn't so much the medium as it was the style and skill.

[Edit: I'm keeping my mouth shut now. I don't want to drag this out. I feel like I'm picking a fight already. ]

RogueBoy
Sea Post King

i guess you've kind of summed it up for me there.
the style and the skill is the most important part.
which is why i hope Eisley have some for their next cover.
as a piece of computer-generated imagery (be it from a human head or otherwise) Gollum worked. so did jar jar (aesthetically sound, just very annoying). but these album covers don't as far as i'm concerned.
sorry to keep stressing the point, but for a band that seems so in search of an artistic ideal, i think they have far to go in this aspect of it.

anyway, enough whinging, it's bed time (In the UK anyway).

anyone like Neil Young? i hope so. i'm sure you do.

goodnight.

rob.

goto page
 | next >>