Laughing City
kevinwiles
Sea Post King

i liked them.

thats all that really matters..

Very Happy
boyd
Eisleyoid

By catagorizing well known artists (students of of opposing manifestos)
as "rubbish", I hoped to persuade Rob that opinions are sorta like arse
holes...everyone has one. Wink He great commmunication skills... and
is obviously very knowlegdeable; a little tact would be nice.

But, for every fan of one music genre (or band), there's another who
hates that style. The same goes for art. It's subjective. It's ok not to like
the covers... but, in my opinion, your choice to use the word "rubbish"
was just sorta pissy. Maybe the word in England doesn't actually mean -
total trash, poop. worthless. We don't use it much here.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the second cover either and agree with
much of your critique. I hate "photoshoppy design" and was very leary of
everyone's excitement over everyone's first reaction. The drawings,
however come from the band... Everyone wanted something warm and
dreamy. I tried to give them something that incorporated their own
artistry within the parameters.

WB's 25 year veteran - head of creative - worked on Beatles projects
back in the day, loved both covers and told heads of staff he thought
there was something special about the band, the identity, the graphics,
the CD covers... and even tracked me down personally to tell me.
whatever. I think they're very average.

Btw, the image of Stacy is a photo...that the band took. (wups) I'm
not defending the work... just bringing perspective.

Gotta go. PARTY PARTY!!

p.s. Oh brother, now we're going to have a 7 page thread about this. I'm
already bored. It's all good... this is what forums are for. Rob has a right
to his opinion... Hope to hold the critics at bay the next time around.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
RogueBoy
Sea Post King

You are right, I should have been more tactful. Perhaps it is my use of the word "rubbish" that comes across as tactless though - but maybe that's just a different meaning attached to the word what with us being different sides of the Atlantic and all..who knows..
But yeah, I shouldn't have been so harsh.
So fair enough, although i can see that i don't totally like the covers, at least i can see that you guys made an effort in a certain direction, which is worthy of respect. i know that sounds like me trying to backtrack and kiss arse, but i'm just trying to be reasonable.
However, i kind of got a little annoyed at you saying " People that value their opinions so highly and are motivated to declare them so profoundly annoy me", because as i can see where you may be coming from on this, there are a few points to put forward here. Firstly, this is a message board for opinions, i assume, other than saying Eisley are great, they freakin' rock and their voices have made me cry (which they have - which i hate saying because in simple text form it looks so soulless). Also, when i first mentioned the idea of the album covers, it was meant as more of a question (although it turned into a rant).

BUT!
I now feel great about talking to someone who's in personal contact with Eisley!!! because they are brilliant and i take everything back about the covers, because i hope to sneak backstage one day (as all dreamers do) and to say hi, but hope not to be greeted with "oh he's the dick who said our album covers were shite"..
So! it really is time for bed, but talking to people like you lot is good at 4 am..

er, the first Eisley song i heard was Blackened Crown. i don't own any of their albums (i am but a poor starving student), but i like what i have downloaded (i'm sure i'll get shouted at for this), and i will buy their stuff as soon as i clear my overdraft and get a higher credit card limit..
by the way, i know some of you may be, but i'm not to keen on Coldplay of the Beatles..
i will die a slow and painful death in this place.
but i do like lots of great music, as do all of you lot, otherwise you wouldn't be here..

enough rambling
the pillow is calling.

Are there many Eisley fans in the UK? there should be more. i'll try hard.
boyd
Eisleyoid

dang. I tried to edit out that phrase before you read it....
Laughing

Reviews are uncomfortable. (see thread about the Rolling Stone interview on Marvelous Things) I'll try to win you over on the next one. All good.

bd

Last edited by boyd on Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
as "rubbish", I hoped to persuade Rob that opinions are sorta like arse
holes...everyone has one. Wink

man,I haven't heard that for ages lol Laughing

Laughing Citizen

Personally, I think that Boyd did a very awesome job with the covers; and the Marvelous Things cover happens to be my absolute favorite. I need to get out and grab a copy of photoshop sometime soon, maybe then I can create better fakes than these.
Laughing Citizen

hi rogueboy. (sorry to throw a fork in the subject road of your thread here..)

BK, try the gimp. it's free. (:

Spydog1985
Sea Post King

To add to the stack of A-holes......(meaning opinions.....Smile)

I am a fan of both covers for what was there to work with. Even if it had been a coldplay or radiohead release, i'd still have liked it.....

BUT!!!!!here's a few reasons why i think they couldve been better

LC:nearly flawless......love the table pic and the streaky explosion/bright lite shadow in the backround. What i didn't like was the way the title/band name were displayed. not too bad, but it just seemed ever so slightly amateurish.....my biggest beef was with the dancing band members in the form of shadows on the cover. to me, that just doesn't seem right for anything......again....IMHO.....Smile....on the inside, i love the pics/drawings.....back picture could be better, but was still ok......

MT:sadly, to me, it appeared that there wasn't as much thought put into this one, which made this one look even more amaturish than the last. Loved the drawings on the cover, even the title/insignia was great, but the "Eisley" print and the pictures were IMO not cover quality. Stacy on the front is neat, but the quality of the pic seems to not fit, but its close, so this is just nit-picking to some extent....Still not a bad cover though, my problems were with the inside and the back....Both pictures seemed rushed/unprepared/unprofessional/etc. on the inside, the pic seemed as if it was done ouside the house on a local street. And IMHO (again:)), i really disliked the wardrobe choices of the band. Chauntelle is ok, weird "skirt" at worst. jon was ok, but i wasn't a fan of the jacket. Sherri seemed not horid, just not normal, as did weston, but weston was a bit worse. Stacy, the poor girl, just did not work with that "playing dress up in mother's clothes" outfit. mabye an image consultant would fix that, which is money, so still no stones being thrown....The back was better, a bit, but again seemed a bit on the unprofessional side. I just think i don't like the picture, thats all. just obvious as being done by anyone other than a professional photography studio that has contracts with labels(watch me be totally wrong on this, and wb actually had one for you, hehe).....

anyways, i've spent way too much time on this, but i just wanted to throw out another overly critical opinon for futrue reference(only....can you HEAR the rushing of the water under the bridge? Smile)....honestly i loved both covers for a local/regional band, esp. LC, but then again, i told you this is what id say if i was an exec. from WB, etc.....

ps-most of this is personal opinion. i have no more than a few cd covers experience, as a lowly band member, to be saying this...i'm no image consultant, just someone who knows a bit how putting something like this together works, and thought i'd chime it......but no more than a bit........Smile
Joined: 30 Sep 2003 | Posts: 92 | Location: Arlington, Texas
Squirly
Vintage Newbie

i liked the covers
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 | Posts: 5464 | Location: Galt, California
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boyd
Eisleyoid

oh brother. now i have to blacklist 2 people... Confused
(jUst kidding)

rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
oh brother. now i have to blacklist 2 people... Confused
(jUst kidding)

That's funny.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Christie
Sea Post King

hahaha okay..

my turn to state how wrong rouge boy is..

okayy. you are wrong.
both covors are just as good as the music itself i'd say.
buh.

Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

First off,
let me just say, "welcome" to RogueBoy, and put you at ease, and tell you that you are certainly entitled to your thoughts and opinions.

People on here, usually discuss differences in a pretty civilized manner, so, no one should start throwing stones across the pond Smile

Now, all that said, I will tell you a few things that may be of interests to you on this subject concerning, the artist, the direction the art took, and the band's input on it all. (I'm kinda close to this situation, so my information is accurate).

To quote you in two of your posts:
Quote:
I also concede that the image may have been designed not by a computer but by a person using a computer, but this again stinks of "look what i did on the computer" syndrome,

When you speak of "the image", I am guessing you are refering to the picture of Stacy in the street in the center of MT ep?
That image was taken by the band, themselves, and Boyd used it to meld together all the "marvelous" creatures that are surrounding Stacy, (and also drawn by our, kid's. ie., Sherri, and Stacy).

and

Quote:
but for a band that seems so in search of an artistic ideal, i think they have far to go in this aspect of it.

Well, I don't know how to respond to this really. What they do is art. Their music, their own drawings, so much of it is about them and their own identity. These kind of images dance around in their heads. Maybe you just don't like, or understand part of who they are? They have volumes of journals filled with these types of drawings.
Boyd just decided to take their stuff, and put it into a format that would be usable for their own music.
He really wanted the ideas to be as much about the band, and their thoughts, and their input, and what bleeds from them, and not so much about what he could dream up.

Boyd has been a designer for 24 years. He has won countless awards, (seriously). His work has been featured in design magazines. But, he is the most humble guy on the planet when it comes to telling anyone about his talent. He just doesn't ever toot his own horn.
He constantly asked the band to oversee, and approve/disapprove of the direction that he took on these two covers.
All that said,
I think these two covers hold up to any of his award winning work. Personally, (and of course), I love both of the covers.
But, I look at it, and see parts of my weird family all over it Wink

Again, your thoughts are appreciated here, so no worries.

k [/quote]
MomentumShift
Vintage Newbie

Shocked such wisdom

...well i like the covers...thats pretty much my 14 cents

humbleabode
Sea Post King

that was awesome kim... might i add something, i belive that there realy isnt a band that is actually is true to themselves as much as the duprees and Eisley. The band is genius, the family is genius, and the band wouldnt exist,i think, if the two werent around. So saw it off rouge there not rubbish, there flourishing in talent. plus there so cute! Laughing Embarassed Laughing

visit my new Xanggggggaaaaa.......
http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=humbleabode
Joined: 08 Jan 2004 | Posts: 96 | Location: laurel hill, florida
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>