Laughing City
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

tell someone one new about EISLEY?

The band is feeling so much discouragement about the "upper peeps" not liking what they have, or wanting this or that from them.

My reason for asking the question is, we get overwhelming responses about EISLEY'S music, their style, their song writing, etc.

Are all of you people wrong? Does EISLEY just really suck and all of you are being nice? Do they need to write things like, "Didja think I was gonna give it up to you...this ti-ee-yi-ee-yime"?

What is really real?

Is EISLEY what the public would embrace if given the chance? or is it just the small community that has found them and loves them?

Is EISLEY going to blow up? or blow away?

Here's my question to the EISLEY community:

How do your friends react when you introduce them to EISLEY's music?, and how often do you introduce them to someone new?
kevinwiles
Sea Post King

avril may sell a bunch of records..but thnik of much crap she gets too. she made be one of the most made fun of artists out there too.
mandy
Sea Post King

my friends say 'thats interesting....*pause* and not in a bad way'

then again it has been proved that my friends know nothing about music....my guitar teacher...likes it...but he mocks me nonetheless....because he likes to see me get defensive about the music I listen to...he likes it though...he admitted it....

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I tell most people I know about Eisley. Even my older brother who isn't much into the style of music was stunned by them live. Most people I tell about Eisley seem to like them. I know at least 3 or so converts. That's a lot considering most of my friends now are already Eisley fans. They seem to have as many likers among my non-forum friends as any other band. They have good appeal. I think even my ex-journalism teacher would like them ... though I haven't seen her in a while. She never liked anything i liked, either. Anyway ... hope that helps. Confused

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rebelbirdY2K
Sea Post King

all my friends are dumbfounded when they hear Eisley. They can't really talk about it. To me that's a good thing. And I take tell people about Eisley every chance I get.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

first let me answer the second question. I have introduced Eisley to every human being (and my turtle, may he rest in peace) that i know. I'll talk to someone and as soon as the conversation turns to music (and it does) i'm like "hey, check this band called Eisley. Hot kids, great pop tunes that challenge mainstream crap. Solid band."
However, apparently the people i know are not the biggest fans of Eisley. I got one girl hooked as hardcore as i am (babigirl on the forum, she is too shy to post much) and a few other girls fell like pine trees to my axe of advertisement. But the guys, not so much. One of my friends tells me i'm gay for listening to Eisley, and then i punch him in the jaw and he shuts up, he's an emo kid anyway so BLEH oh him for his deragatory use of gay. The rest of my friends either go "eh, i don't like it" or "that brunette chick is hot" which i'll have to admit is how i started my love for Eisley. So the response of 16-22 year old men from the greater DC metropolitan area is that Sherri is hot, and the music is pretty good, but nothing they really care to go buy. Or at least the 15 or so males i met, or are all big fans of Rage Against the Machine, the Smashing Pumpkins and the Foo Fighters. But the girls love it, and i know significantly more girls than guys.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Oh yeah, my parents like Eisley, too.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

first of all, even my most cynical friend who prides himself in bashing every band he hears told me "they've got skill" after seeing the 6 song set at the NTNMF last year. Granted he wasn't falling to his knees in praise of Eisley but coming from him that is a large compliment.

2 of my coworkers, both mothers, are really into Eisley. My sister, steriotypical "popular girl", is into anything pop she can dance to, likes Eisley after seeing them last year in Orlando. Eisley has extremely wide appeal I hope the powers that be have noticed that.

From a press/critic perspective look at the reviews from the last 2 Ep's. I think i've been on the forum for the realease of both laughing city and marvelous things and i can only remember 2 bad reviews. One from a college newspaper in Utah (i think) and the other was the rolling stone "unicorn barbie' review. Overall the critics like Eisley.

Don't forget that the marvy things video did much better then expected on MTV, even made it to #1 on MTVU, and that marvelous things made it into the top 25 on Itunes after it was released.

Euphoria
Laughing Citizen

I introduce Eisley to a lot of my friends. It's sort of a part of my "Intro to good music clinic" where I introduce people who listen to pop bands to better music, more of a conversion process really. It's amazing what the transformation brings out in people. Did I help any? Smile
Joined: 25 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1546 | Location: Look under your bed...
Theogenes
Sea Post King

Hmm, where to begin. First of all, I have been really out of the loop for this last semester as I was trying really hard to graduate...which happened!! I even cut my ethernet cords so that I wouldn't waste time online because I was so busy I couldn't afford to do it. Now I am back, and I seem to have come back to a different feel. When I left everyone was pumped about the full length, now things are a bit more somber it seems. Right now I am listening to Marvelous Things and being blessed once again. I have done myself a diservice by leavning Eisley alone for the last couple of months.

That is the personal note. From day one I have been blessed and rocked out by Eisley, and that has been harder and harder to do as I become older and more cynical towards many kinds of indie music (I swear I'm not a snob, but jazz and classical tunes have graced my winamp more often than not).

Before I checked out, I was telling everyone about Eisley all the time. I brought some folks out to the Phoenix show and they really liked it...we went explicitly to see Eisley (not those other headlining bands whoever they were). At very least, everyone I talk to respects them alot for their sound and the professional and yet accessible way they conduct themselves. I have a friend who writes for tinymixtapes.com who has reviewed them positively (leveer), and I have friends who are scattered around the country now that grew up in the Michigan scene with me. They really appreciate the music, but wouldn't be huge fans or anything. The more exposure, the more folks really start digging Eisley, that has been my experience.

I think this supervenes upon the fact that Eisley seems to be a band driven by much more than their sound. It is a total package; to really understand and like the music you have to check out a live show, Sherri's artwork, the forum, get to know the family a little bit. Once that happens, Eisley is unlike anything and amazingly awesome. Their music is driven by deep perspectives on life which has given rise to some amazing music (grunge and rap to name a few). However, much of the music that blows up is blown up by the industry. The kind of music that blows up on its own is unlooked for and much harder to pull off I think because the timing between the fans and the band has to be just right. The early nineties saw a huge fan base ready for something new with some meaning behind it and out popped two amazing forms of lyrical and musical expression.

Eisley is a little bit different because while their music is pretty unique, the approach is what blows you away. They don't sing about depression or social justice, but the way they sing about fantastic things is what makes them special. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I have been ready for the fresh and invigorating approach to music that Eisley has taken. The interaction with the fans, the reflective and extremely melodic music, the creativity (both musically and in the visual arts) have been so refreshing to me. Music fans have had a plethora of sounds to choose from for several years now, but the industry has really started to piss us off. Therefore a good tune with a GREAT approach makes Eisley awesome. Is the fan base ripe for this, I think they may be but they need exposure to the concept. However, I have been infinitely frustrated trying understand the tastes of the masses. I guess there really is no accounting for it.

Sorry so long, but I love you guys and have thought alot about this issue. Don't grow weary in well doing. You are blessing many already, and if you blow up, I hope I continue to catch the shrapnel.

Theogenes

joseph
Lost at Forum

I've told some people, and I'll let you know what they thought.

My friend Weston, and his sister, Ashley, were intrigued by the sound. They love the chords that Eisley uses, and the melodies. Weston and Ashley are adept musicians, Weston on guitar, and Ashley with piano. Weston really likes the choruses and bridges, and is anxious to see how the LP will turn out.

My brother, Rocky, is a drummer. I told him about them, and he didn't much care for it. But, my continued listening of the EP's, coupled with media blurbs saw Rocky asking me to borrow my Eisley cd's. He likes them, now.

My other brother, Keith, thinks Eisley is weird, and that the Dupree girls are hot. He's 15, so don't worry.

My friend Alex thinks that Eisley would be good music to perform drive by's with, a la Grand Theft Auto. He thinks the music is scary, in a manner. Doesn't really like them all too much, but it is funny to gauge his reaction when I spin the cd.

As for me, Eisley is intriguing. The melody, the lyrics, the sound, it's all new to me. It appeals to my desire for genuine, creative music. The online forum is fascinating, and the participation of the band (and family and friends), makes me feel like I'm a part of it all. This kind of interaction between the band and fans is unheard of, at least for me. That is another thing that makes Eisley so wonderful, their interaction with fans. They don't place themselves on a pedestal, but rather act down-to-earth, and are generally communicable.

**the turtle stamp of approval**

www.soulstrum.com
Last edited by joseph on Mon May 31, 2004 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
WeAreTheEggmen
Sea Post King

everyone i've introduced to Eisley has fallen in love with their music. kind of like i did waaay back in early '02 (it seems like such a long time ago, but really it has only been two years).. crazy.

-adam
Joined: 21 Dec 2002 | Posts: 116 | Location: lawrence, kansas | dallas, texas
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

I haven't ever heard anyone say anything bad after hearing them,in fact it's usually quite the opposite.There is quite a growing eisley fanbase here in australia after the cd got played to death in my old shop and to my friends etc....they are just too lazy to join the forum Laughing

Do they want to be some huge commercial success or do they want to have a cult following.I can see it going either way,whichever direction the band choose.

No,we(the fans) aren't wrong and we're not "just being nice"..we are the supporters of the band and we are loyal because we love the band and it's music,we are the ones who know the ins and outs of the band,the ones who take notice of the little things,look at how much the fanbase grew after the video got played on MTV,imagine when the album drops,it'll be ten times bigger

To answer your question kim,yes the public will embrace them,the sound is fresh and new.

Last edited by homesick_alien on Mon May 31, 2004 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stpddrummerboy88
Lost at Forum

every time music pops up in a conversation i have i always get to eisley no matter what, and 90% of the ppl i have introduced them to love it, the other 10% is ghetto so who really cares? anyway i think eisley has a massive future ahead becaus of there mature sounding music. they don't need super distortion or anything, and there voices are real not lik any other artist i know where they talk the lyrics and become famous?!?. anyway eisley rocks and you know it!!
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

When I got my friend to bring in her YM issue so I could have the article, all day I was showing people and saying, "This is Eisley. They are wonderful. You should listen to them."

And I remember the day I woke up, turned on the TV and thought I was dreaming because Eisley was on You Hear It First... so that morning I was like, "DID ANYONE ELSE SEE EISLEY ON TV!?" and they were like, "Who?" I was like, "EISLEY! YOU KNOW! EISLEY! GO LSITEN TO THEM!"

I basically promote on days that I think about Eisley a lot because something Eisley-related happened.

Oh yes- I cannot forget to mention that I got my sister into them. I was listening to them one day and she said "oooh, who is this?" and I said, "eisley duh" and she downloaded them. We sing their songs sometimes.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Last edited by hisownshot on Mon May 31, 2004 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total