Laughing City
theloudestvoice
Sea Post King

I just stumbled upon this website, after watching eisley open for Snow Patrol in San Diego. First off (and let's get this outta the way), Chauntelle, you are gold - I just hope that you aren't left in the dark at all your shows. What struck me most in this band, and subsequently their "bread and butter," are the harmonies. The first real successful use of harmonics in a pop band since the Beach Boys. I would best describe Eisley as, "The Sundays meets Six Pence." Quite frankly, the rhythm section is very lackluster - don't undermine the importance of creative timing. Overall, I just wanted to say, nice creative, original writing. Stay with your dreams...

...and oh yeah, Chauntelle...stay gold.

a favorite band I just discovered at Curiosa: The Cooper Temple Clause

cheers~

KyleRossP
Sea Post King

theloudestvoice wrote:
Quite frankly, the rhythm section is very lackluster - don't undermine the importance of creative timing

perhaps if you had stopped drooling over Chauntelle, and paid a little more attention to the rhythm section, you would have heard how good they are....lackluster is not a word i would have remotely thought of using to describe Eisley's rhythm section....
welcome to the forum!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I agree, Chauntelle is awesome.

But I differ on the rhythm section. Jonathan and Weston are the most creativeand promising new backbone (that's what i call them) out there.

Oh yeah, and welcome. Very Happy

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

did you listen to Weston drum? he has such a unique style, the new drum line on memories really changed the feel of that song. And Jonathan Wilson is a fine fine bass player, i refuse to accept any other statement, even from the man himself, modesty, sheesh...

and yes, welcome to the forum

theloudestvoice
Sea Post King

For those that understand anything other than 2:4, I suggest a few of the modern great percussionists that you may know: Jimmy Chamberlain, Trent Reznor, DaveGrohl, www.thecoopertempleclause.com

Not knocking the guy...and come on, no use to throw your personal fantasies at others.

peace~

jhansch8
Sea Post King

Weston is an awesome drummer. totally keeps a tight beat. MAN! that rhythm is KEY! Jonathon... so awesome. I play bass myself, and while throwing in some nice bass lines that flow to the harmony of the lyrics, he stills stays on beat with weston. They work amazingly together. i would have to say that perhaps only the team work of shaun cooper and will noon from straylight run and eben d'amico and bryan newman(ex-drummer) from saves the day are above that of jon and weston.... I think they make a great team. Just stating my beliefs. Chauntelle is great at the guitar though... i aint cuttin ya down

Jeff
ideal
Sea Post King

i love eisley but this guy is right-eisley gets away with meh instrumentation cause they have great vocal melodies.
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Certainly there are better drummers, and bass players out there.
I didn't think the comments were meant to insult Weston and Jonathan, but, more to compliment what he really appreciated about the band.

The guys fit well with Eisley's style, and that's what is most important, and it is certainly ok if he felt that the rhythm section wasn't as strong as the vocal section. It's his opinion, and that's ok.

Welcome to the forum. Smile
zealot
Sea Post King

^ that's chauntelle's mom. be nice to her
theloudestvoice
Sea Post King

I want to thank both "ideal" and 'kimbrtone" for their replies, and restating my opinions in a new light - and let's be honest, when it comes to music, much of what anybody has to say is their opinion, whether professional or amateur. Hopefully, what is said is positive though, as I meant no ill will.

I understand these things, as I am a songwriter and "musician" myself trying to get my first album recorded (www.glewmusic.com). I understand the pitfalls of this industry, as well as the ridicule you leave yourself open to. Personally, I am about the "sound." Most of the great songs come from ideas, not technical musicianship. This is a quality I appreciate in Eisley, as well as some of my favorite pop artists: U2, Oasis, Pearl Jam, Beach Boys, Smashing Pumpkins, etc...it's about the idea...about melody.

Please understand my reference to Chauntelle through these eyes. Some people just have a magnetism...an effortless passion for where they are - this is evident in her. She doesn't have to try...she doesn't have to be something she's not. This is the "golden" gift I was referring to.

The beauty of music is it's power to move....and if it moves you, I say, don't let it go.

Take care all...and stay in touch. Nice looking out mom...

andrew.

phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I think Jon and Weston intentionally stay in the background, because (as it's seemed so far to me at least) they're really more support to the girls than a totally equal part of the band. They're probably more talented than they let themselves show a lot of the time, maybe because they're not involved much in the songwriting process (correct me if I'm wrong). But the focus of Eisley is on the melodies, and I think the guys understand that and just try to provide as solid and complimentary, but non-obtrusive, of a backdrop as they can.

Wow, that was deep. Too much thinking for me...
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:
did you listen to Weston drum? he has such a unique style, the new drum line on memories really changed the feel of that song. And Jonathan Wilson is a fine fine bass player, i refuse to accept any other statement, even from the man himself, modesty, sheesh...

and yes, welcome to the forum

I agree Weston is one of the better drummers I've heard. And Jon certainly dosn't go overboard like some bassist try to. (Woah! I ended a sentence with a prep.!) But he dosn't under-play either. I say he really fits in with the over all sound quite well.

Anyway... Welcome To the Jungle!

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
And Jon certainly dosn't go overboard like some bassist try to. (Woah! I ended a sentence with a prep.!)

Bwahaha. I thought I was the only person who's anal about that.

Welcome to the boards, dude. I think you'll find you're not the only one here who admire's Chauntelle's obvious joy and musical prowess. She's awesome.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkobb
Sea Post King

when speaking of drums or rythm in general it would be criminal not to at least mention danny carey's name.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

jkobb wrote:
when speaking of drums or rythm in general it would be criminal not to at least mention danny carey's name.

Call me a heathen, but I don't know who that is.

Of course, we weren't necessarily talking about drums or rhythm in general. More like Weston and Jon in particular. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...