Laughing City

How do you feel about moody/unpredictable musicians?
I love it,they make things exciting,It's never boring
64%
 64%  [ 11 ]
I hate it,I pay to see them play,not act like morons
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

Now,I want to get peoples views on musicians who for one reason or another do weird/moody/surprising/rude/ things on stage ,I'm talking about good and bad things but mostly bad

In some ways I kind of dig it,a prime example was a few years ago in Sydney I saw Chan Marshall (cat power) make the crowd wait an eternity before deciding to finally come on stage drunk,then proceed to sit down and forget all her lyrics.Half the crowd walked out and the other half stayed with anticipation.She mumbled a few songs then disappeared offstage.Now at the time i remember I was really pissed but not long after I rethought it and I found it somewhat endearing for some reason.I saw her again and she was amazing so everytime she tours now I get a rush because I don't know what "show" I'm going to witness or what she's going to do,It's never boring and even if the music is a mess there is always something good about the night and I love that feeling of not knowing what to expect

theredsunband are another who I can make an example about here.Some nights they come out and absolutely tear the place down and have everybody in like a dreamstate of amazement and other nights they sound average,I love them regardless and if anything it makes me appreciate them even more when they do a fantastic show (which is most of the time)

I guess what I'm trying to say is I find it all good to hit 100% perfect notes all night,every night and have a almost rehearsed scripted set but I much prefer a unpredictable variety element in performances,even if they suck a little or do something you wouldn't expect them to do or necessasarily want them to do

am I making any sense?

Golly, Poster

You make total sense. I get what you mean. Like at my church a few months ago, we had an indie band play and in the middle of their set, the guitarist jumped onto the speakers and did a really long guitar solo. Although they weren't an amazingly unique band or anything, that guitar solo made them really memorable. I can't forget that night! It was really good!

"Time is a vapour"
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Antics and stupid stunts are, in my opinion, the best part of live performances. It's not a complete experience if they play everything just like the album and stand still all night.

Bono has teetered on the edge of scaffolding with only his belt, mic lead, and roadie keeping him from falling. The boys in Muse have jumped on top of each other, thrown guitars into drum sets, and destroyed their extremely expensive stage decorations (though they were remarkably subdued when I saw them). And forgetting lyrics (like Chris Martin has during "Politik" once or twice) is just plain funny. When the crowd knows a song better than the person who wrote it, I can't help but laugh.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SML626
Sea Post King

I love it. Now I know most people on here don't really care for Reggie & The Full Effect, but I think both of their sets I have seen have been totally amazing! The first one they wore their red suits and just went nuts, and the second time it was right before Easter so they were drunk, drinking beer on stage, and dressed as the Easter Bunny.
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Antics and stupid stunts are, in my opinion, the best part of live performances. It's not a complete experience if they play everything just like the album and stand still all night.

Bono has teetered on the edge of scaffolding with only his belt, mic lead, and roadie keeping him from falling. The boys in Muse have jumped on top of each other, thrown guitars into drum sets, and destroyed their extremely expensive stage decorations (though they were remarkably subdued when I saw them). And forgetting lyrics (like Chris Martin has during "Politik" once or twice) is just plain funny. When the crowd knows a song better than the person who wrote it, I can't help but laugh.

That's what I love about live shows. Their personality comes through a bit when they are unpredictable. It's all in the name of entertainment. And that is what you pay to see. You don't pay to see people playing like they're locked up in a studio. You want some difference from the album a bit. A bit of interaction.

PeterTimesTwo
Sea Post King

unpredictable musicians are great, but musicians who are real moody can suck sometimes, whether it's seeing them play, or playing with them.

Peter is the Dolphin
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

What I liked about seeing the Mars Volta was they seemed kind of arrogent, the only things they said the whole night were, "If you're going to mosh, don't be fu----- stupid about it." and at the end of the show, "Thanks for coming. Glad to know you're not all part of the fast food craze." or something.

I loved how they just kept playing and never stopped and gave off this feel that they thought they were amazing. Because they are amazing. And if I were amazing like that, I'd totally be the same way.

One day I'd like to see Bright Eyes just 'cause apparently his perfomances are really unpredictable, and you're never really sure what kind of "state" he'll be in or how he'll act.

I also like when a fun band plays that is there just to hang out with the fans. I saw Fall Out Boy a year or so ago, I loved their energy and how they were like, "Hey... seriously, after the show come find us. We want to hang out with you guys, seriously. Please... thanks for coming to our show, we think you're all awesome." which I thought was really cool. Because they're not awesome enough to be able to be like the Mars Volta.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

hisownshot wrote:
What I liked about seeing the Mars Volta was they seemed kind of arrogent, the only things they said the whole night were, "If you're going to mosh, don't be fu----- stupid about it." and at the end of the show, "Thanks for coming. Glad to know you're not all part of the fast food craze." or something.

I loved how they just kept playing and never stopped and gave off this feel that they thought they were amazing. Because they are amazing. And if I were amazing like that, I'd totally be the same way.

One day I'd like to see Bright Eyes just 'cause apparently his perfomances are really unpredictable, and you're never really sure what kind of "state" he'll be in or how he'll act.

I also like when a fun band plays that is there just to hang out with the fans. I saw Fall Out Boy a year or so ago, I loved their energy and how they were like, "Hey... seriously, after the show come find us. We want to hang out with you guys, seriously. Please... thanks for coming to our show, we think you're all awesome." which I thought was really cool. Because they're not awesome enough to be able to be like the Mars Volta.

haha, i immediately thought of bright eyes when i saw this thread... and i don't know, but i think there's a balance between unpredictability and being too drunk or too conceited to just play the stupid show.
i think it's great when bands interact with the crowd. it shows that they're comfortable on stage.
so... i guess it is more fun when there are some 'antics' but honestly i don't want to pay a lot of money to see some totally wasted people decide not to play anything.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

I found that Conor Oberst sounded better the more drunk he got,not just by a little bit either,it was very noticable
Laughing Citizen

Haha! as soon as i saw this thread, i thought "Yes, i love them unless they're Conor Oberst"

http://www.last.fm/user/Untitled_9/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86438423@N00/
Joined: 13 Jun 2004 | Posts: 1749 | Location: In the courtyard waiting on the breeze to float after me
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:
I found that Conor Oberst sounded better the more drunk he got,not just by a little bit either,it was very noticable

that's probably true... until he starts making idiotic comments about things he doesn't know.

they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

amidthestars wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:

that's probably true... until he starts making idiotic comments about things he doesn't know.

haha,I couldn't hear him over the annoying girls screaming I LOVE U CONOR and I was standing a foot from him at the time

actually (and thankfully) he didn't really go on any politcal rants between songs in brisbane except tell us our (australian) government sucks as bad as the american one

Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:
amidthestars wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:

haha,I couldn't hear him over the annoying girls screaming I LOVE U CONOR and I was standing a foot from him at the time

actually he didn't really go on any politcal rants between songs in brisbane except tell us our (australian) government sucks as bad as the american one

i was thinking about glastonbury...
and i don't think i'll be able to go to a bright eyes concert until he either becomes unpopular or somehow alienates all his teen girl fans... maybe plastic surgery or marriage will do the trick. Razz but seriously. i'd get too annoyed, especially because i'm sure it's worse here in the states, and particularly around where i live.

they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
shyviolet
Lost at Forum

seeing elliott smith was interesting, if not a little frustrating. it was in a very tiny, smoke-filled and crowded bar and he took absolutely forever to come out. we were packed in so tight, there was hardly an inch to move for hours on end. he was definitely in a weird place, mentally, but he was so endearing. he forgot his lyrics a few times and kept saying, "woooo!" in a really child-like voice in between songs. it was very odd and i loved it.