Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I hope you feel better soon, since it appears that you're sick.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kirstenalyssa
Sea Post King

haha thanks. i should be okay by tomorrow.
=]

http://www.rosewoodstudios.com

Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity, you will become a statistic.
boyd
Eisleyoid

it's all journaled... but who'd wanna dig.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
thewizards
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
question two - does Rosewood do mastering? i record stuff at home and i was wondering today if ya'll could master it and make it sound a bit more professional.

thanks.

All I would say is think carefully about if you really want to send your stuff off to be mastered. They charge ahella lot per hour. Seriously. What you can do is download an illegal version of Cubase/Reason and do it yourself. Just normalise, pan, set levels, use the plug ins to make sure all the dynamics are even. Then you can master it through Reason and save as a mixdown. That way it is free and will sound just as proffessional. It takes freaking hours to mix and master btw, but you really don't need all the proper gear.

"Speaking as a rational person, Al Qaeda are a loose assosiciation of terrorists who can be rounded up with sustained police investigation. Speaking as a parent, they're all 8ft tall, with a giant eye in the middle of their forehead and the only way to stop them is to nuke every country that hasn't sent us a Chritmas card in the past 10 years."

www.myspace.com/townsendband
Go there, or be... a... triangle....
Joined: 22 May 2006 | Posts: 151 | Location: Blazingstoke, UK
stars on sticks
Sea Post King

If you don't mind me asking, what are you getting your degree in?
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

thewizards wrote:
bigideas wrote:
question two - does Rosewood do mastering? i record stuff at home and i was wondering today if ya'll could master it and make it sound a bit more professional.

thanks.

All I would say is think carefully about if you really want to send your stuff off to be mastered. They charge ahella lot per hour. Seriously. What you can do is download an illegal version of Cubase/Reason and do it yourself. Just normalise, pan, set levels, use the plug ins to make sure all the dynamics are even. Then you can master it through Reason and save as a mixdown. That way it is free and will sound just as proffessional. It takes freaking hours to mix and master btw, but you really don't need all the proper gear.

i was interested but probably wouldn't be able to do it in reality.
if i downloaded all that stuff, i still wouldn't be sure exactly how to do it.
i always assumed mastering dealt with stereo mixes, but i guess that's not possible. so if mastering messes with the mix, i don't understand why there are two phases and why on records you will see one person credited for mixing the album and one for mastering the album.
any way you can explain this to me?

kirstenalyssa
Sea Post King

i tried to mix my own stuff once...
it did not go very well at all, actually.
/shudders

anyway,
mixing is really more the arrangement of the music really,
whereas mastering is the process of compressing everything to be level throughout the entire work (CD, EP, what have you).

the reason that the person who mixes doesn't usually master is because the mixer has been listening to the same song over and over and over and over and over (They All Surrounded Me comes to mind...i heard that soooo many times one day haha) and so they know allll the spots where there is something still "microscopically" wrong with it or where there could be any potential problem and how they want it and blah blah blah...

but the person who masters the album is a pair of fresh ears, if you will, who hasn't been sitting in the studio for hours and hours. they compress the file to achieve a...sonic balance and that can sometimes make the difference between sounding like a demo or an actual record.

i think i covered everything,
but if you have any more questions,
i can try to answer them.

http://www.rosewoodstudios.com

Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity, you will become a statistic.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

ok, thanks.

so when someone masters they don't work with a stereo mixdown?
here's a scenario that will help me get a grip on it:
let's say there are 6 tracks of audio recorded:
1 vox
2 guitar
3 bass
4-5 drums
6 various
or whatever.
a person mixes these and pans these across the stereo field and gets the balance they want.
then someone comes in to master.
they're checking to make sure levels aren't too hot/distorted, etc. making things sound more balanced.
do they mess with panning and the balance the mixer had?
i'm sure it will have to be changed some, but is the idea to stick as close to what the mixer had or do they sometimes go a different direction?

thewizards
Sea Post King

No the mixing does involve send/insert effects, panning, setting the levels etc.

Mastering involves using a compressor (on Cubase you can use built in compressors). All that does is pull all the notes as close to 0 dB (their optimum) as possible. You can set the bands as well. For example: someone playing bass managed to proper thwack it out for the chorus but the verses are dead quiet. You set the compressor so that it pulls the loud notes down and the quiet notes up. Bass is usually a good example because bass tends to continue on the same level throughout a song.

To be fair though, using different people to mix and master occurs on proper expensive stuff! If you mix and master it yourself just make sure you take regular breaks because it will drive you up the wall! You should give it a go sometime. I'm sure people would love to help you if you have any problems.

Oh and someone asked what I'm studying and I'm doing a Bsc Hons in Music Tech and Management.

"Speaking as a rational person, Al Qaeda are a loose assosiciation of terrorists who can be rounded up with sustained police investigation. Speaking as a parent, they're all 8ft tall, with a giant eye in the middle of their forehead and the only way to stop them is to nuke every country that hasn't sent us a Chritmas card in the past 10 years."

www.myspace.com/townsendband
Go there, or be... a... triangle....
Joined: 22 May 2006 | Posts: 151 | Location: Blazingstoke, UK
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i know the idea of compressors and gates, etc, but i do not know how to work with them. i wouldn't know how to set them at all. i kind of do this in a way. i got my computer my first semester in college away at MTSU (fall 00). Win00 was not standard. i still have 98SE. i need a major computer update. a friend gave me a CD with Cakewalk Sonar (the first version when they got the Sonar moniker). i go through the song and watch to see if any of the tracks are distorting and then bring them down to avoid clipping.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

My compressor software that I use is really finicky. I can either get a really good compression, or sometimes (more often than not) all the "s" and other high pitched vows will just skyrocket up in dynamic, leaving the rest of the track pretty low. It's weird.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page