Laughing City
Weez
Sea Post King

i thought they sounded like muse on a sight to behold, and i dont know if im crazy but i never really heard fleetwood mac in any of the songs
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Weez wrote:
i thought they sounded like muse on a sight to behold, and i dont know if im crazy but i never really heard fleetwood mac in any of the songs

I thought the Muse thing when I first heard it, too. I haven't had time to read the rest of this thread, though. ha.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Weez wrote:

I thought the Muse thing when I first heard it, too. I haven't had time to read the rest of this thread, though. ha.

Yesterday in the car while listening to it I thought "this is very Muse-ish!"
mattr
Golly, Poster

A Sight To Behold reminds me of a Donnas song called Revolver.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

a sight to behold might be the single song on that album I just can't get behind yet.

give it time.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Ribbs
Historical demographic anomaly

The voicings in the acapella chord were inspired by the Bulgarian Women's Choir.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Ribbs wrote:
The voicings in the acapella chord were inspired by the Bulgarian Women's Choir.

It made for some great dissonance.

But, I don't really hear Muse in this though like some people have mentioned. Muse's tracks are way busier it seems like. Matt Bellamy always sounds like he's playing three guitars at once (assuming he didn't actually record multiple guitar parts). He'd probably have some synth part layered over that as well. Coupled with constantly moving bass and drum parts, it makes for quite an eclectic style. ASTB is just much more unified and homogenous. I do appreciate the effects the vocals, always a nice change up.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Ribbs wrote:

that's what it reminded me of — not the Bulgarian Women's Choir specifically (i've actually never heard of 'em, i don't think), just that sort of thing; i hear the similarities to the Nine Inch Nails song too, at least in the comparison posted here.

this topic has got me wondering, though: “what would Eisley sound like doing ‘industrial’?” hopefully not like Nine Inch Nails (sure, they're way better than Rammstein, or something, but Rammstein's about as bad as ‘industrial’ gets before i have to start vomiting…) actually, some of Eisley's more dark/weird/noisy stuff does remind me of, say, Swans', less dark/weird/noisy stuff — sort of. then again, judging from some of the comments i've read about “Combinations”, i think i may be one of the few (only?) people who really love Eisley's “heavier” side (and, for that matter, who think “Combinations” doesn't get heavy enough!), so maybe the whole "industrial Eisley" concept doesn't really appeal to anyone else…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Ribbs

So let me get this straight, do not be afraid - you like the record? I have been steeling myself for a withering attack from you for months Wink
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

well, i haven't bought it yet — i'm not one of those “OMG! EISLEY HAS A NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE TO GET 6,0000000000000 COPIES THE VERY SECOND IT COMES OUT!” sort of people — and, as i said in one of the other topics, i don't really want to say too much before i've gotten to hear it in full quality, and given it some time to really sink in, but, generally, yes, going off what i heard on myspace, i like the record, but don't love it, and do find it dissapointing, compared to both "Room Noises" and the live versions of the songs that were put up here (and that i heard in person) before the record came out, and i think a lot of that does have to do with the “production.”
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
then again, judging from some of the comments i've read about “Combinations”, i think i may be one of the few (only?) people who really love Eisley's “heavier” side (and, for that matter, who think “Combinations” doesn't get heavy enough!), so maybe the whole "industrial Eisley" concept doesn't really appeal to anyone else…

Guess it depends on what you think is heavier, with regard to Eisley.

Personally, I like the songs that are a little harder... or have a bit of an edge on them. Many Funerals sounds great and I like the guitars on A Sight To Behold. In the past I've liked Head Against The Sky and Over The Mountains because they were a bit more rockin' than some of the other songs. I fact, I think it was the mix of hard guitars with dreamy tunes and vocals (harmonies) that really sucked me in.

With that said, I think the song "Combinations" is near perfect. It is fantastic. My only complaint is with the horns at the end. Not crazy about them. But Ash loves them... so that's just a matter of opinion.

I've been wanting to write my review of the album in the review thread... but keep putting it off. And the longer I put it off the more I figure nobody will read it. But it's still something I'm itchin' to do regardless of who will read it. Ugh... why does this forum control my life?!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
leighish
Vintage Newbie

maybe you feel you owe the forum for some undetermined reason Wink

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Ribbs

do not be afraid. wrote:
well, i haven't bought it yet — i'm not one of those “OMG! EISLEY HAS A NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE TO GET 6,0000000000000 COPIES THE VERY SECOND IT COMES OUT!” sort of people — and, as i said in one of the other topics, i don't really want to say too much before i've gotten to hear it in full quality, and given it some time to really sink in, but, generally, yes, going off what i heard on myspace, i like the record, but don't love it, and do find it dissapointing, compared to both "Room Noises" and the live versions of the songs that were put up here (and that i heard in person) before the record came out, and i think a lot of that does have to do with the “production.”

Ah - all is right with the world then.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Ribbs wrote:

But, I don't really hear Muse in this though like some people have mentioned. Muse's tracks are way busier it seems like. Matt Bellamy always sounds like he's playing three guitars at once (assuming he didn't actually record multiple guitar parts). He'd probably have some synth part layered over that as well. Coupled with constantly moving bass and drum parts, it makes for quite an eclectic style. ASTB is just much more unified and homogenous. I do appreciate the effects the vocals, always a nice change up.

I think I read somewhere that Matthew Bellamy averages 7 different guitar tracks per song... mostly on Origin of Symmetry, I think. They got a tiny bit sparser for Absolution and then went back to doing totally crazy, fat-sounding stuff on Black Holes.

Eisley have more people and can pull off a multilayered sound, but they don't quite have Muse's mind-numbing instrumental prowess yet. Dom plays like he has twelve arms, and in addition to being a stunningly fast bassist Chris uses effects that do really impressive things. Eisley can certainly get there, but it would probably be a pretty big departure from what they'd rather do.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Ribbs wrote:

I think I read somewhere that Matthew Bellamy averages 7 different guitar tracks per song... mostly on Origin of Symmetry, I think. They got a tiny bit sparser for Absolution and then went back to doing totally crazy, fat-sounding stuff on Black Holes.

Eisley have more people and can pull off a multilayered sound, but they don't quite have Muse's mind-numbing instrumental prowess yet. Dom plays like he has twelve arms, and in addition to being a stunningly fast bassist Chris uses effects that do really impressive things. Eisley can certainly get there, but it would probably be a pretty big departure from what they'd rather do.

Yeah, that's basically what I was hinting at. I've never gotten a chance to see Muse live, I wonder how they handle all those extra tracks: Recording? guitar nerds offstage playing? skip em?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger