Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Ribbs wrote:
The voicings in the acapella chord were inspired by the Bulgarian Women's Choir.

It made for some great dissonance.

But, I don't really hear Muse in this though like some people have mentioned. Muse's tracks are way busier it seems like. Matt Bellamy always sounds like he's playing three guitars at once (assuming he didn't actually record multiple guitar parts). He'd probably have some synth part layered over that as well. Coupled with constantly moving bass and drum parts, it makes for quite an eclectic style. ASTB is just much more unified and homogenous. I do appreciate the effects the vocals, always a nice change up.

I think I read somewhere that Matthew Bellamy averages 7 different guitar tracks per song... mostly on Origin of Symmetry, I think. They got a tiny bit sparser for Absolution and then went back to doing totally crazy, fat-sounding stuff on Black Holes.

Eisley have more people and can pull off a multilayered sound, but they don't quite have Muse's mind-numbing instrumental prowess yet. Dom plays like he has twelve arms, and in addition to being a stunningly fast bassist Chris uses effects that do really impressive things. Eisley can certainly get there, but it would probably be a pretty big departure from what they'd rather do.

Yeah, that's basically what I was hinting at. I've never gotten a chance to see Muse live, I wonder how they handle all those extra tracks: Recording? guitar nerds offstage playing? skip em?

Back in '04, they had a couple backing tracks from what I could tell, and one crew guy playing keys on a song, and Wolstenholme played keys on another. But for the most part they were able to duplicate the album sound uncannily. Bells was switching back and forth between keys and guitars and using his built-in effects and basically moving in a short, scrawny blur the whole time. It was pretty awesome.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

NIN and Eisley should tour. It would be freakin' epic.
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

leighish wrote:
maybe you feel you owe the forum for some undetermined reason Wink

I honestly don't know why I do it.

I literally spent about 2 hours on ONE post response yesterday. I try real hard to be as informed as possible when making an argument... within a certain time constraint. But why? What does it accomplish?

These past few days I have spent HOURS responding to posts... I would say 8 or so. What could I have done with that time? And do my posts have any affect on anything? I don't think so... yet I feel compelled to write.

I think it boils down to the fact that... I enjoy it (although it's a little torturous in a way). And if I didn't spend hours making posts... I'd probably spend time watching TV or something else that's just as much a waste of time. Whatever the case, I feel guilty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
epilp88
Sea Post King

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is a huge difference between "ripping something off" and "sounding like" another given artist. Ripping off is duplicating pitch and rhythm of another song. Basically saying, "That's a great line/phrase/verse/chorus/whatever, let's use it here." Sounding like has to do with being stylistically influenced, i.e. instrumentation choice, guitar and drum tones, tempos, song structure, ect. Or at least that's what i say Very Happy However, the whole concept of "subconscious plagiarism" is an entirely different debate........
Joined: 27 Jan 2007 | Posts: 25 | Location: Laughing City, Idaho
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
indyice
Sea Post King

epilp88 wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but there is a huge difference between "ripping something off" and "sounding like" another given artist. Ripping off is duplicating pitch and rhythm of another song. Basically saying, "That's a great line/phrase/verse/chorus/whatever, let's use it here." Sounding like has to do with being stylistically influenced, i.e. instrumentation choice, guitar and drum tones, tempos, song structure, ect. Or at least that's what i say Very Happy However, the whole concept of "subconscious plagiarism" is an entirely different debate........
Right, listen to the Beatles stuff from 1964-1966 and then the Stones from the same time frame. A lot of each band's stuff sounds very similar, but I don't think they are ripping-off each other. If you are writing for a band, and there is a style of music you like, it is probably going to come out in what you write. That doesn't mean your ripping-off another band's music.
alastica
Sea Post King

My Blackened Crown wrote:
NIN and Eisley should tour. It would be freakin' epic.

Hell yeah! Razz

epilp88 wrote:

Lolz. I was jay kaying. I know Eisley isn't ripping of Nine Inch Nails in the least. I just thought it was slightly similar so I figured I'd post it on here and start some discussion 'bout it.

indyice wrote:
Right, listen to the Beatles stuff from 1964-1966 and then the Stones from the same time frame. A lot of each band's stuff sounds very similar, but I don't think they are ripping-off each other. If you are writing for a band, and there is a style of music you like, it is probably going to come out in what you write. That doesn't mean your ripping-off another band's music.

I hate the Rolling Stones. I can't help it. I just do. I totally love the Beatles though.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
ImmoralImmortal
Golly, Poster

Silly folk haha.
Oh man, I don't really like Nine Inch Nails either.
A lot of their songs sound similar to me,
with that same synth thumping.

Sorry, just my opinion.

I showed my friend "A Sight To Behold"
I remember, she just sat there, listened, and said:

"Oh. I like."

Just thought I'd share that worthless piece of information.
8^}

~ Ramón ~
Joined: 05 Apr 2004 | Posts: 508 | Location: Carson, California
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

rmlawrence wrote:
leighish wrote:
maybe you feel you owe the forum for some undetermined reason Wink

I honestly don't know why I do it.

I literally spent about 2 hours on ONE post response yesterday. I try real hard to be as informed as possible when making an argument... within a certain time constraint. But why? What does it accomplish?

These past few days I have spent HOURS responding to posts... I would say 8 or so. What could I have done with that time? And do my posts have any affect on anything? I don't think so... yet I feel compelled to write.

I think it boils down to the fact that... I enjoy it (although it's a little torturous in a way). And if I didn't spend hours making posts... I'd probably spend time watching TV or something else that's just as much a waste of time. Whatever the case, I feel guilty.

For what it's worth Rob, I really enjoy reading your posts. Your thirst for knowledge shows, and you do an admirable job of keeping an open mind and considering both sides of debates. So I don't think it's a waste. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
For what it's worth Rob, I really enjoy reading your posts. Your thirst for knowledge shows, and you do an admirable job of keeping an open mind and considering both sides of debates. So I don't think it's a waste. Wink

Thanks. That's probably the nicest thing somebody's said to me on this forum (with the obvious exception of Ash, but she's biased Wink ).

I enjoy reading your posts too. I don't always agree with what you say, but I can't help but like the way you say it. You always come across very informed and that can be intimidating to me. I constantly have to look things up.

I really have a love/hate relationship with writing (or maybe I should say communicating). But I've mentioned that before in another post a long while back.

I do like putting my thoughts down, but I really don't like coming across as an idiot. Unfortunately, the more I say, the more I fear I'll sound stupid. So I'll either say something short and/or obviously stupid... or I'll get bogged down in "research" for a topic. I can't help but question the value of the latter (to myself or others)... so it's nice to hear your comment.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

I would love to see them cover Hurt, sure it wouldn't no Johnny Cash, but it fits them.
norad
Vintage Newbie

I would love to see them cover Hurt, sure it wouldn't no Johnny Cash, but it fits them.

What? No it doesn't. Confused
vintage_person
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:

What? No it doesn't. Confused

I think musically, yeah it does. Lyrically, NO. No it doesn't. Laughing

epilp88
Sea Post King

alastica wrote:

I hate the Rolling Stones. I can't help it. I just do. I totally love the Beatles though.

I'll second that!
Joined: 27 Jan 2007 | Posts: 25 | Location: Laughing City, Idaho
indyice
Sea Post King

epilp88 wrote:
alastica wrote:

I'll second that!
I don't like 90% of what the Stones have done, but the Some Girls CD does kick butt.
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

ICBTFY reminds me of Rhiannon