29%  [ 25 ]
Other
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 85

Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

piperjay23 wrote:

The term "Christian" these days I take to mean born-again or some variation of such. I always thought Catholics preferred to be called Catholic to differentiate themselves from other forms. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Waiting for godot.

Unfortunately you're pretty much correct about the way people use the word "Christian". The actual meaning is one who strives to be Christ like.

Facebook.... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455720010

EisleyForever wrote:

Never you mind, dearie. When a person implores your soul to watch its dead body have love made to it by an underage girl--from Texas, no less--it's okay not to respond.
Joined: 19 Mar 2007 | Posts: 662 | Location: Beaverton, Oregon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (commonly known as Mormon). My faith means a lot to me, and I'm always trying to put it first in my life (of course I fail, but who doesn't?) Just gotta keep swimmin'! I believe this says it all "If in the end you have not chosen Jesus Christ, it will not matter what you have chosen." I could blab on and on, but...it's hard to know exactly what to say.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I agree that the Holy Spirit flows through Eisley's music! I could feel that, the first time I heard them!
As for the poll; put me in the Christian column. I also agree that Christianity is more a relationship than a religion!

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I believe in Christ, though I fall short of being a Christian. But I try, and will continue to try harder, to live as Christ would. Not easy.
rox_my_sox
Sea Post King

deleted.
Last edited by rox_my_sox on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
greatgood
Sea Post King

James 1:27
Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

rox_my_sox wrote:
Cap'n O'Schovanec wrote:
rox_my_sox wrote:
I'm a Christian. nondenominational.

James 2:14
"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"

James 2:17
"Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead."

James 2:24
"You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only."

Need to be careful on this one. We're not saved by works. If that were the case then the malefactor on the cross would not have gone to paradise as Jesus told him he would. It's important to look up the translation of "Faith" in these verses. Unfortunately I don't have my Strongs Concordance at work...

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast." Eph. 2:8-9

oh, I know. I completely agree. I was making the point it isn't enough to just believe and be saved, I wasn't meaning that man makes himself saved by his own works...if that makes sense. Faith and works through grace- that's what I've learned from my studies.

That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure everyone else understood that we have nothing to do with our salvation

Facebook.... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455720010

EisleyForever wrote:

Never you mind, dearie. When a person implores your soul to watch its dead body have love made to it by an underage girl--from Texas, no less--it's okay not to respond.
Joined: 19 Mar 2007 | Posts: 662 | Location: Beaverton, Oregon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
a-1wave
Golly, Poster

Nick, you are one cool dude. I am honored to be in your independent film. Wink
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

ghost in the snow wrote:
I admire people who can believe in a god (or many gods) but I personally can't.

Crying or Very sad but God loves you so much!

norad
Vintage Newbie

Some of the things in this thread make me cringe. Laughing
Bryan646
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
Some of the things in this thread make me cringe. Laughing

I second that. I wasn't thinking when I made this thread. Lesson learned!
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

Cap'n O'Schovanec wrote:
rox_my_sox wrote:
Cap'n O'Schovanec wrote:
rox_my_sox wrote:

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"

Need to be careful on this one. We're not saved by works. If that were the case then the malefactor on the cross would not have gone to paradise as Jesus told him he would. It's important to look up the translation of "Faith" in these verses. Unfortunately I don't have my Strongs Concordance at work...

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

oh, I know. I completely agree. I was making the point it isn't enough to just believe and be saved, I wasn't meaning that man makes himself saved by his own works...if that makes sense. Faith and works through grace- that's what I've learned from my studies.

That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure everyone else understood that we have nothing to do with our salvation

Are you saying that we have nothing to do with our salvation in that Christ performed the Atonement so that we could receive salvation, or in that our actions in this life have no bearing whatsoever on our salvation, or that in the end after all we have done it is the grace of God that saves us? All of the above? None of the above?
Smile

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marvelousgreen
Sea Post King

guitargirl wrote:
Cap'n O'Schovanec wrote:
rox_my_sox wrote:
Cap'n O'Schovanec wrote:
rox_my_sox wrote:

Are you saying that we have nothing to do with our salvation in that Christ performed the Atonement so that we could receive salvation, or in that our actions in this life have no bearing whatsoever on our salvation, or that in the end after all we have done it is the grace of God that saves us? All of the above? None of the above?
Smile

I think they're saying that we must believe in Christ, as well as choose to follow him to alowe the grace of God to come to us. Non of us can get to Heaven on our own power alone. So what we do certainly matters, but in the end It is grace the saves us.

(I apologize in advance if this is not what you meant. Embarassed It is what I believe as a Catholic and i think it';s what you are saying)

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

soupey wrote:
I stopped being Christian when I stopped believing. I'm a factual person, I read Scientific America, I love thinking about crazy universe stuff, and taking what a book says at face value doesn't sit right with that.

Don't get me wrong, I like religion, but ONLY in the "Here are the morals you should have, be a good person because it's the right thing to do, do what's right because it's right" and all that. It's when people blindly follow, and only do good out of fear of going to hell that I hate.

I guess I feel like I'm above religion, I feel like I don't need a book, or church, to tell me how to do what's right.

Have you checked out Buddhism? The Dalai Lama rejects tenets that are contradicted by scientific discoveries. It's a pretty interesting way to run a religion. If I weren't all about the Jesus, I'd probably be Buddhist.

But yeah, I agree with your views on blind following and the fear of Hell. (There was a thread about that a while back, but I think it got pruned.) Organized religion has little or nothing in common with faith.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
soupey wrote:
I stopped being Christian when I stopped believing. I'm a factual person, I read Scientific America, I love thinking about crazy universe stuff, and taking what a book says at face value doesn't sit right with that.

Don't get me wrong, I like religion, but ONLY in the "Here are the morals you should have, be a good person because it's the right thing to do, do what's right because it's right" and all that. It's when people blindly follow, and only do good out of fear of going to hell that I hate.

I guess I feel like I'm above religion, I feel like I don't need a book, or church, to tell me how to do what's right.

Have you checked out Buddhism? The Dalai Lama rejects tenets that are contradicted by scientific discoveries. It's a pretty interesting way to run a religion. If I weren't all about the Jesus, I'd probably be Buddhist.

But yeah, I agree with your views on blind following and the fear of Hell. (There was a thread about that a while back, but I think it got pruned.) Organized religion has little or nothing in common with faith.

what beliefs has he rejected?

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>