Other
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 85

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

mr pine wrote:
Sure. It is pretty simple.

Religion is about doing things to apease your god.

That is not what Christianity is. Christianity is a relationship.

While I respect, and probably agree with your beliefs, I am very uncomfortable with your terminology. It seems as though you are arbitrarily redefining the word "religion". If we want to communicate clearly we need to use words whose meaning to everyone else is the same as our intended meaning. That is, we should stick with the accepted definitions: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

I don't see how relationship and religion are mutually exclusive, at least using the definition of the word "religion" that most people use.

Christianity is absolutely a religion, by any commonly accepted definition of the word. If you say you are a Christian, then you are a religious person.
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
If I weren't all about the Jesus, I'd probably be Buddhist.

Laughing

i'm christian, and i agree that christianity is a relationship
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I voted other. Personally, I think it's hard to classify oneself as either Atheist or Agnostic; whilst I do not believe in life after death, I acknowledge that there could be a higher being out there. I've never been religious, although I really respect people who are passionate about their faith, except those who think their faith will solve all their problems, or those who try to inflict their beliefs on others. I don't know, I guess I'm just a man of science.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
soupey wrote:
I stopped being Christian when I stopped believing. I'm a factual person, I read Scientific America, I love thinking about crazy universe stuff, and taking what a book says at face value doesn't sit right with that.

Don't get me wrong, I like religion, but ONLY in the "Here are the morals you should have, be a good person because it's the right thing to do, do what's right because it's right" and all that. It's when people blindly follow, and only do good out of fear of going to hell that I hate.

I guess I feel like I'm above religion, I feel like I don't need a book, or church, to tell me how to do what's right.

Have you checked out Buddhism? The Dalai Lama rejects tenets that are contradicted by scientific discoveries. It's a pretty interesting way to run a religion. If I weren't all about the Jesus, I'd probably be Buddhist.

But yeah, I agree with your views on blind following and the fear of Hell. (There was a thread about that a while back, but I think it got pruned.) Organized religion has little or nothing in common with faith.

I'd be more willing to listen to the Dalai Lama if he was never a dictator.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:
mr pine wrote:

While I respect, and probably agree with your beliefs, I am very uncomfortable with your terminology. It seems as though you are arbitrarily redefining the word "religion". If we want to communicate clearly we need to use words whose meaning to everyone else is the same as our intended meaning. That is, we should stick with the accepted definitions: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

I don't see how relationship and religion are mutually exclusive, at least using the definition of the word "religion" that most people use.

Christianity is absolutely a religion, by any commonly accepted definition of the word. If you say you are a Christian, then you are a religious person.

Yeah I am sure we would just be arguing semantics here.

What would you describe what I said Mark?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

a-1wave wrote:
Nick, you are one cool dude. I am honored to be in your independent film. Wink

Thank you

Facebook.... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455720010

EisleyForever wrote:

Never you mind, dearie. When a person implores your soul to watch its dead body have love made to it by an underage girl--from Texas, no less--it's okay not to respond.
Joined: 19 Mar 2007 | Posts: 662 | Location: Beaverton, Oregon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mattr
Golly, Poster

Kappa962 wrote:
mr pine wrote:

I understand what you're saying. Most people take the word religion to mean basically the doctrine of faith (Christianity, Buddhism, etc.) that you follow, but there's more to it than that The first definition of the word religion in the link you provided ends with "usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." To me, religion isn't the name of the belief system, it's the rigid set of rules meant to be followed like a checklist that is often used as a way to judge others rather than love God. A good example would be the Pharisees from the gospels. They were more interested in following the letter of the law than the spirit of the law.
Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

mattr wrote:
Kappa962 wrote:
mr pine wrote:

I understand what you're saying. Most people take the word religion to mean basically the doctrine of faith (Christianity, Buddhism, etc.) that you follow, but there's more to it than that The first definition of the word religion in the link you provided ends with "usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." To me, religion isn't the name of the belief system, it's the rigid set of rules meant to be followed like a checklist that is often used as a way to judge others rather than love God. A good example would be the Pharisees from the gospels. They were more interested in following the letter of the law than the spirit of the law.

Good point Mattr. Often we get so caught up "serving" God, that we completely forget about the God we serve. I know personally I've gone weeks without reading my Bible, in personal study, or praying because I was so busy with church work.

The Pharisees are a great example. They knew the Old Testament like the back of their hand. But they couldn't recognize that Jesus was the messiah the Old Testament prophesied would come.

We can't allow ourselves to get so wrapped up in the acts of being a believer that we forget about God and the things he's done for us.

Facebook.... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455720010

EisleyForever wrote:

Never you mind, dearie. When a person implores your soul to watch its dead body have love made to it by an underage girl--from Texas, no less--it's okay not to respond.
Joined: 19 Mar 2007 | Posts: 662 | Location: Beaverton, Oregon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Cap'n O'Schovanec wrote:
mattr wrote:
Kappa962 wrote:
mr pine wrote:

Good point Mattr. Often we get so caught up "serving" God, that we completely forget about the God we serve. I know personally I've gone weeks without reading my Bible, in personal study, or praying because I was so busy with church work.

The Pharisees are a great example. They knew the Old Testament like the back of their hand. But they couldn't recognize that Jesus was the messiah the Old Testament prophesied would come.

We can't allow ourselves to get so wrapped up in the acts of being a believer that we forget about God and the things he's done for us.

One could argue that the Torah was more of a legal document than a path to Yahweh, El, God... er whatever you want to call it.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

I agree with all of your points about Christianity not being focused on rules. However semantics are very important if you care about people understanding what you say. When Christians start using the word religion to mean "a rigid set of rules that you follow in order to avoid punishment" there is a problem. The rest of the world doesn't understand the word religion to mean that, and confusion is the result.

It is impossible to communicate clearly when words are used without regard to what the listeners will take them to mean. Regardless of your religion, I think it is in everyone's best interest to avoid confusion and communicate clearly. What's wrong with using the actual definition of the word, and not the christianese one?
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:
I agree with all of your points about Christianity not being focused on rules. However semantics are very important if you care about people understanding what you say. When Christians start using the word religion to mean "a rigid set of rules that you follow in order to avoid punishment" there is a problem. The rest of the world doesn't understand the word religion to mean that, and confusion is the result.

It is impossible to communicate clearly when words are used without regard to what the listeners will take them to mean. Regardless of your religion, I think it is in everyone's best interest to avoid confusion and communicate clearly. What's wrong with using the actual definition of the word, and not the christianese one?

You avoid being associated with Muslims if you use the 'christianese' one.

kulvir
Laughing Citizen

ks1990 wrote:
I voted other. Personally, I think it's hard to classify oneself as either Atheist or Agnostic; whilst I do not believe in life after death, I acknowledge that there could be a higher being out there. I've never been religious, although I really respect people who are passionate about their faith, except those who think their faith will solve all their problems, or those who try to inflict their beliefs on others. I don't know, I guess I'm just a man of science.

I was curious about who were the other two people that voted other. In my case I voted other because I belong to one of those 'other' religions. I am Sikh although I wouldn't claim to be that observant and I do not go to a temple regularly. I do believe in God and try to follow the example of the Sikh Gurus(our equivalent of a prophet). Being Sikh automatically makes you a religious minority, even in India where we make up 2% of the population.

ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

kulvir wrote:
ks1990 wrote:

I was curious about who were the other two people that voted other. In my case I voted other because I belong to one of those 'other' religions. I am Sikh although I wouldn't claim to be that observant and I do not go to a temple regularly. I do believe in God and try to follow the example of the Sikh Gurus(our equivalent of a prophet). Being Sikh automatically makes you a religious minority, even in India where we make up 2% of the population.

I just looked it up and it sounds interesting. This stood out to me, in a good way: "A Sikh is enjoined to lead a wholesome family lifestyle, and to avoid celibacy or asceticism as a means of reaching God."
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

kulvir wrote:
ks1990 wrote:

Indira Gandhi was killed by her Sikh bodyguards!
It's OK. She was a bitch anyway.

soupey
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
soupey wrote:
I stopped being Christian when I stopped believing. I'm a factual person, I read Scientific America, I love thinking about crazy universe stuff, and taking what a book says at face value doesn't sit right with that.

Don't get me wrong, I like religion, but ONLY in the "Here are the morals you should have, be a good person because it's the right thing to do, do what's right because it's right" and all that. It's when people blindly follow, and only do good out of fear of going to hell that I hate.

I guess I feel like I'm above religion, I feel like I don't need a book, or church, to tell me how to do what's right.

Have you checked out Buddhism? The Dalai Lama rejects tenets that are contradicted by scientific discoveries. It's a pretty interesting way to run a religion. If I weren't all about the Jesus, I'd probably be Buddhist.

But yeah, I agree with your views on blind following and the fear of Hell. (There was a thread about that a while back, but I think it got pruned.) Organized religion has little or nothing in common with faith.

I actually did look into Buddhism a little while back after we learned about it in history class. Just because I liked the values, they were nice "Do goo things" values from what I remember. That's really interesting about the Dalai Lama, I didn't know that.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>