Laughing City
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
SYP has them too, clip 6 is missing on there though or I couldn't find it. They're labeled inconsistently.

How so?

Well, from what I could figure out, there's supposed to 14 clips. SYP has Studio Clip 1, 1b, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6b, 6c, 7, 8, 9a, 10, 11. Looks like number 6 is missing, I couldn't find it. Oh and what I meant by incosistently, I meant incosistently with how the person posted them on their youtube labeled them, from 1 - 14.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Last edited by Nowhere Man on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
norad
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
patrock wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
SYP has them too, clip 6 is missing on there though or I couldn't find it. They're labeled inconsistently.

How so?

Well, from what I could figure out, there's supposed to 14 clips. SYP has Studio Clip 1, 1b, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6b, 6c, 7, 8, 9a, 10, 11. Looks like number 6 is missing, I couldn't find it.

They are labeled according to the file names Boyd game them.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

You beat my edit.

So anyway, Boyd's clip 6 is the Youtube clip 7, I couldn't find that one on SYP.

There's really not much to it, now that I've watched it, it's just them practicing Memories a couple of times and then some guy telling them to change something right at the end.

Oh yeah and the other thing that was inconsistent was the names of the actual files once they're downloaded. I was just trying to figure out what was what and going between youtube, syp and the files I already had on my hd. They were probably saved, and uploaded by different contributors.

piperjay23
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
You realize that bands with crappy music get tons of exposure and get really famous, piperjay23? So having "top notch content" isn't really needed to get exposure and/or national recognition. Though, Eisley already have the amazing music so there is no need to put their music down. There is no need to change who they are either. Eisley are doing what they need to be doing. It's the other half that isn't doing their part to get Eisley where they deserve to be. Don't blame Eisley.

We're not talking about The Dixie Chicks here. We're talking about a band with potential. Of course crappy music gets a lot of airplay. The question was, how do we increase Eisley's exposure.

It's my contention that the grassroots methods are running full bore and are at a point of diminishing returns.

To expand the fanbase, the band will need to produce an album worthy of the highest critical praise to lure in the music afficianados. They need an album that a magazine like Filter might put in a "Ten Best of The Year" feature.

piperjay23
Sea Post King

[quote="mister_joseph"][quote="kulvir"]
yes, i know, bands like Radiohead, REM, Flaming Lips blah blah blah...but those bands are able to make uncompromising music because they have zero to lose and residuals to last them into retirement. [quote]

And how do you think they got to this point? By putting out edgy, experimental music for the time with uncompromising ideals. The bands above all got noteriety via college radio. It wasn't until after fans of real music grew up and started earning disposable income that the mainstream grabbed on.

And to those who think they should lock themselves in a box and do it their way only....WRONG.

Even the greatest talent needs a sounding board. The best musicians still take lessons. The smartest executives still have a board of advisors. It's not about appealing to the masses...it's about receiving constructive criticism to finely hone your craft. Taste aside, alomost anything done well will appeal to those that know the difference.

katiemac
Sea Post King

Another artist that had an exposure issue before was Feist.
Though I was a huge fan way before Let it Die, and still am having been a fan of Broken Social Scene as well, it wasn't until Feist's single "1,2,3,4" ended up on the now infamous ipod commercial that she really blew up. Maybe Eisley would benefit by trying to hook up some sort of deal in the same manner.

On the other hand, a lot of people considered this type of move "selling out" and Feist even said in an interview with McLean's Magazine, that she still isn't sure whether it was the best thing to do, as she didn't want to become known solely as the girl from the ipod commercial. Nonetheless, her career has sored and the exposure is unfathomable.

In my opinion, I don't think it was selling out, because Feist is a great artist as are Eisley, and however unfortunate it is, if selling your song to a company's product gives an artist the opportunity to share their art internationally, then why not share it with as many as possible.

Now I'm rambling, Eisley is great! Pass on their music to everyone you meet.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

katiemac wrote:
Another artist that had an exposure issue before was Feist.
Though I was a huge fan way before Let it Die, and still am having been a fan of Broken Social Scene as well, it wasn't until Feist's single "1,2,3,4" ended up on the now infamous ipod commercial that she really blew up. Maybe Eisley would benefit by trying to hook up some sort of deal in the same manner.

On the other hand, a lot of people considered this type of move "selling out" and Feist even said in an interview with McLean's Magazine, that she still isn't sure whether it was the best thing to do, as she didn't want to become known solely as the girl from the ipod commercial. Nonetheless, her career has sored and the exposure is unfathomable.

In my opinion, I don't think it was selling out, because Feist is a great artist as are Eisley, and however unfortunate it is, if selling your song to a company's product gives an artist the opportunity to share their art internationally, then why not share it with as many as possible.

Now I'm rambling, Eisley is great! Pass on their music to everyone you meet.

McDonald's wanted to use "Mushaboom" in a commercial and she turned it down. I guess Apple has more money...er... more indie cred.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

All they have to do is predict what I and other elite critics would consider to be the "greatest album of all time" according to our latest arbitrary musical tastes at the time of the release and hope millions read our reviews, believe us and then buy the album. Make that album. It's just that simple.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

i think one way for them to get some major exposure would be to have a song or two on a relatively popular film soundtrack.

who knows - maybe their Sundance appearances caught some Hollywood eyes/ears and they may be waiting intently for the next Eisley project for potential usage.

I find many Eisley songs have a very 'cinematic sound' to them and would be great additions to the right movie. I even visualize scenes that play in my head while listening to them. So I definitely agree, "The Hills" was a start and hopefully there are better (read: classier) opportunities out there.

Caley
Lost at Forum

grain thrower wrote:
bigideas wrote:

i think one way for them to get some major exposure would be to have a song or two on a relatively popular film soundtrack.

who knows - maybe their Sundance appearances caught some Hollywood eyes/ears and they may be waiting intently for the next Eisley project for potential usage.

I find many Eisley songs have a very 'cinematic sound' to them and would be great additions to the right movie. I even visualize scenes that play in my head while listening to them. So I definitely agree, "The Hills" was a start and hopefully there are better (read: classier) opportunities out there.

I agree. I think if they were able to find a movie out there that shared the same tone as their songs, they could possibly find success that way. I remember when The Invasion came out, I think WB tried to get Eisley's Invasion in the movie. But because it didn't mesh with the movie, Sigur Ros got the gig instead.

I think Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, Garden State, Last Kiss, etc. were all big soundtracks. If a movie has some success or has an "indie" darling in it, the masses usually make a big deal out of the soundtrack. And because of this DeVotchKa, Moldy Peaches, the Shins, Imogen Heap are pretty well known names now. Mainstream movies are now trying out indie bands -- The Devil Wears Prada had Azure Ray, Jane Austen Book Club had Feist, Just Friends had Rogue Wave... I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Teen TV shows like One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl and the OC (when it was still on) play bands like Shout Out Louds, Rilo Kiley, Longview, Nada Surf, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Peter Bjorn and John pretty often. And some of their stuff ends up on the soundtracks, which people end up buying. Also, Grey's Anatomy is starting to battle One Tree Hill over certain songs because their music directors seem to have the same taste in music. I think it was the first or second season when GA played Metric. I was kind of shocked when Monster Hospital started playing during a scene. Also, Tegan and Sara was in heavy rotation on GA during the first season. It seemed like every other episode a Tegan and Sara song was played -- they still get played (Call It Off was played during a climatic scene). And GA is kind of the reason why Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol exploded and why How To Save A Life by the Fray became huge -- because GA used those songs during their massive marketing campaigns.

I think if Eisley was able to get on Conan O'Brien, they can get on more shows and movies. And those shows don't even have to play Eisley's single at the moment -- they can play which ever song from their catalogue. Shows and movies prove an easy and accessible way to get a band's music heard.

oliez
Vintage Newbie

Quote:
Teen TV shows like One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl and the OC (when it was still on) play bands like Shout Out Louds, Rilo Kiley, Longview, Nada Surf, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Peter Bjorn and John pretty often.

I think if Eisley was able to get on Conan O'Brien, they can get on more shows and movies. And those shows don't even have to play Eisley's single at the moment -- they can play which ever song from their catalogue. Shows and movies prove an easy and accessible way to get a band's music heard.

I've known a couple of bands who used to be on shows regularly on MTV shows (they were on at least once every new episode of Real World/that WWE show they had/most other shows they had a few years ago). They got heavy play for at least two or three months and they still were as small as ever. I guess one has blown up on a certain scene, but that's 5+ years later. Then again the way MTV promotes their music in their shows now might have changed that.

It's a strange "stoke of luck" to get a song on a show/commercial and for it to explode. Yes, Shout Out Louds have been on shows, but still Our Ill Wills nor Howl Howl Gaff Gaff even showed on the Billboard 200, but Rilo Kiley has been on Gray's and now anytime I play them for people who think they haven't heard them know Portions for Foxes.

I don't know what the magic combination is, but hopefully someone somewhere will pick up a song from the new record (or old (a Yeah Yeah Yeahs song (man) from their first album was used in a car commercial a couple months after Show Your Bones was released.) )

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Caley
Lost at Forum

oliez wrote:
Quote:
Teen TV shows like One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl and the OC (when it was still on) play bands like Shout Out Louds, Rilo Kiley, Longview, Nada Surf, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Peter Bjorn and John pretty often.

I've known a couple of bands who used to be on shows regularly on MTV shows (they were on at least once every new episode of Real World/that WWE show they had/most other shows they had a few years ago). They got heavy play for at least two or three months and they still were as small as ever. I guess one has blown up on a certain scene, but that's 5+ years later. Then again the way MTV promotes their music in their shows now might have changed that.

It's a strange "stoke of luck" to get a song on a show/commercial and for it to explode. Yes, Shout Out Louds have been on shows, but still Our Ill Wills nor Howl Howl Gaff Gaff even showed on the Billboard 200, but Rilo Kiley has been on Gray's and now anytime I play them for people who think they haven't heard them know Portions for Foxes.

I don't know what the magic combination is, but hopefully someone somewhere will pick up a song from the new record (or old (a Yeah Yeah Yeahs song (man) from their first album was used in a car commercial a couple months after Show Your Bones was released.) )

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I understand what you're saying, but you also deleted what I said about Chasing Cars and How To Save A Life. Grey's Anatomy should be thanked greatly for both songs exploding. Granted, the Fray were already pretty big because of Over My Head, but it could've been GA's marketing campaign that saved them from being a one hit wonder. Both songs GA used captured their show's tone. I think if there is a movie or show out there that had the same emotion that an Eisley song had, Eisley could just as easily breakout.

I get that it's based on luck, timing, and much, much more, but I do have faith in the motion picture business being a big player in the music business.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Caley wrote:
I remember when The Invasion came out, I think WB tried to get Eisley's Invasion in the movie. But because it didn't mesh with the movie, Sigur Ros got the gig instead.

What makes you think this? Was it really not a totally coincidence?

oh yeah, Sigur Ros probably benefitted greatly from Vanilla Sky as well.
although i think what really blew them up was Thom Yorke/Radiohead mentioning them and just Agaetis Byrun (sp?) itself seemingly 'coming out of nowhere.'

then you take a band like Clinic - they had a song in a popular Levi's commercial and even a song in a movie - i believe it was called Thirteen and they really never broke.

i'm glad Feist did the iPod commercial - i had known of her and BSS (i actually had one of their albums but could never get into it other than a few tracks), but seeing that commercial made me delve further eventually - it's a great song - and i then bought the album and it was a great album.

mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

piperjay23 wrote:

And how do you think they got to this point? By putting out edgy, experimental music for the time with uncompromising ideals. The bands above all got noteriety via college radio. It wasn't until after fans of real music grew up and started earning disposable income that the mainstream grabbed on.

I respectfully disagree.

Actually, it's not that at all; all of those bands had a certifiable, million-selling hit record at the start of their major-label carers.

Radiohead was a mediocre band making generic-sounding Britpop when they started out, but they had a million-selling hit in "Creep." They hadn't been around that long when they signed to a label, so they didn't really "work" a lot to build up a following. When I saw them live on their debut US tour, it was obvious this wasn't even a band that had much experience playing live! But...because they had a world-wide, million-selling hit, the label allowed them to do more with their second record, as they'd proven themselves.

REM and Flaming Lips had been around for years, yes, and both had built followings, but both bands were signed during a time when labels signed 'catalog acts,' which meant that the bands would be allowed to develop a following, selling minor amounts of records and touring modestly, in the hopes that, maybe, eventually, the band would have a hit. Both REM and Flaming Lips had major hits with their major-label debuts; (good grief, you couldn't NOT hear "Stand" on the mainstream radio and on MTV back in the day!) again, like Radiohead, the big hits allowed the labels to give them more money.

But having that following doesn't mean squat. Look at Modest Mouse. The reason it took so long from their major label debut to the follow-up was because the band didn't have a hit, the label management changed, and nobody believed in the band. Had "Float On" not been a hit, they'd most likely have been dropped, despite having a following and artistic credibility--because they're not profitable.

Then again, building a name doesn't always mean anything, either. The reason lots of bands have HUGE-selling records and then follow-ups that nobody hear is because labels also spend a lot of money on promotion, making hits, and then for follow-ups, labels say, 'well...you sold wonderfully. why spend so much on the follow-up? we're going to sell it on your reputation, not by putting out a ton of money."

It's a tough thing for a band, being on a major label. Because, to quote
Spinal Tap, "Money talks, and bu*****t walks."

Caley
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
Caley wrote:
I remember when The Invasion came out, I think WB tried to get Eisley's Invasion in the movie. But because it didn't mesh with the movie, Sigur Ros got the gig instead.

What makes you think this? Was it really not a totally coincidence?

oh yeah, Sigur Ros probably benefitted greatly from Vanilla Sky as well.
although i think what really blew them up was Thom Yorke/Radiohead mentioning them and just Agaetis Byrun (sp?) itself seemingly 'coming out of nowhere.'

then you take a band like Clinic - they had a song in a popular Levi's commercial and even a song in a movie - i believe it was called Thirteen and they really never broke.

Wait, what? Are you asking what makes me think they could find success with movies and shows? Because other bands have. I'm not saying every band finds success this way... Eisley may never find success this route. But other bands do benefit from it, which makes me think it's plausible.

I'm not saying this is the way Eisley will break out. I'm saying it could be beneficial. You never know when luck will come by...

I used the Invasion reference to show that tone is important for the relationship between the movie/show and the song being played. Which is the reason why Sigur Ros ended up in the movie and Eisley didn't. Invasion by Eisley didn't mesh well with the movie. I never said the Invasion made Sigur Ros better known. So yeah.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>