Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Forget the chain stores, people. Shop secondhand and define your own style rather than letting someone else tell you what to wear.

I'd rather not wear clothes that have been used. $20 is not that much for a good item of clothing, either.

I can't believe I have to justify thriftiness. You don't want to wear used clothes? Seriously? Why not? And $20 is an awful lot when a shirt someone wore twice can be had for a quarter of the price or less. I have bills to pay and food to buy--I can't go drop a hundred bucks at a time on clothing alone.

patrock wrote:
I have no idea how buying clothes at places other than second hand stores is "someone else telling you what to wear". Really?

Stores like Anthropologie make a killing off of telling impressionable people what's "in" that season. That is, in fact, the only range of items they stock. If you want something that's not in, such as a flannel shirt for instance, you won't be able to find one. Instead, a salesperson will direct you to some other item that's supposedly fashionable at the time and suggest you wear that instead. How is that not telling you what to wear?

Secondhand stores take the items that get discarded by people who overhaul their entire wardrobe every three months. They also have a lot of other stuff. You can almost certainly obtain any item that strikes your fancy at a thrift store or consignment shop, or if you're truly dead set on never wearing anything that's touched another person's skin, places like Marshall's, Ross, or TJ Maxx.

Or, better yet, make your own clothes.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Catey
Lost at Forum

FYI flannel shirts are all the rage for both S/S and A/W 2008 so they are everywhere.

(Flannel is the lumberjack print right? Thats what I would call it here)
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
greatgood
Sea Post King

I have flannel sheets. Maybe I could make a shirt out of that.
Retrovertigo
Sea Post King

I think the specific "lumberjack print" you speak of is buffalo check. The material is flannel, of course. Plaid flannel is hot right now still as well.

I haven't bought clothing retail in five+ years. And I don't mind saying that I look damn good.

ali
since 1979

cynlovescandy wrote:
ali wrote:
clearance section.

yup.
they have great deals.
i like their hardware too.
i have a bunch of their knobs.
ha. knobs...

Laughing
my gf is seriously considering a weekend job there just for the employee discount. it's pretty big. and then a couple times a year they have employee appreciation, and the discount's even bigger. even as a guy, i think their furniture is really awesome. with the discount, it becomes somewhat reasonable. without it, it's pretty ridiculous.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I just find that buying new clothes all the time is so wasteful. I can normally find something similar that I need at a second hand store for 25%-10% of the original cost.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
Or, better yet, make your own clothes

Yea, except if you wanna make something that actually looks good, it sometimes costs much more than buying it at the store... Razz

I love anthropologie... my family saves it for presents Smile
stumple13
Sea Post King

Urban and anthropology are the same
at least in the way you need to shop there
everything is either stupid expensive or stupid cheap
you just need to check on a regular basis
urban is my favorite store
they have so much random crap haha
piperjay23
Sea Post King

It's all about priorities people.

Good clothes can be a worthwhile investment.

I can't tell you how many times I've bought crap items at T@rget or Se@rs or wherever and been totally dissapointed from how it wore to how long it lasted or how uncomfortable it was.

Best advise I ever got from an older person was: "Make sure you have a good job and a good bed, because you will spend most of your life in those two places."

I think it also applies to shoes and automobiles. You get what you pay for 4 sho.

redboots
Sea Post King

ali wrote:
cynlovescandy wrote:
ali wrote:
clearance section.

yup.
they have great deals.
i like their hardware too.
i have a bunch of their knobs.
ha. knobs...

Laughing
my gf is seriously considering a weekend job there just for the employee discount. it's pretty big. and then a couple times a year they have employee appreciation, and the discount's even bigger. even as a guy, i think their furniture is really awesome. with the discount, it becomes somewhat reasonable. without it, it's pretty ridiculous.

I knew someone who worked there... it was a 40% discount. Pretty nice....
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
soupey
Sea Post King

piperjay23 wrote:

I can't tell you how many times I've bought crap items at T@rget or Se@rs or wherever and been totally dissapointed from how it wore to how long it lasted or how uncomfortable it was.

Best advise I ever got from an older person was: "Make sure you have a good job and a good bed, because you will spend most of your life in those two places."

I think it also applies to shoes and automobiles. You get what you pay for 4 sho.

That's very true. When I was younger and the only person in our family with a job was my dad, I shopped at places like Kohl's and bought 5$ shirts and 10$ jeans. The problem was that the clothes would stretch out and become unwearable after wearing them only a couple times.

I would happily spend 20$ on an Anthro dress. Their dresses are beautiful, and now I'm really wishing there was a store near me, with all this talk of sales. )':

Oh and, Saellys, just because you buy something "in style" doesn't mean you're automatically giving in. It all depends on how you wear it. I could buy a "trendy" tubedress for example, with them expecting you to wear it just as a dress, and there are lots of ways to be anti-trend, put a longsleave shirt underneath, wear stockings, roll up the bottom a little and wear it as a shirt...whatever. The only reason buying new clothes from a store like that is just wearing what people tell you to wear is when you aren't creative with how you wear it.

And you know, someone could also argue that you're just following the trends of last year.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

soupey wrote:
And you know, someone could also argue that you're just following the trends of last year.

Or that it's so cool to be different that everyone's doing it!

Laughing Citizen

piperjay23 wrote:

I agree. My mom always told me that you get what you pay for, too. For example, a hair dryer. You can buy a cheap one and have it break soon and end up buying a new one every year, or you can buy a high quality one that will last for 5 or 10 years or even longer. You might spend around the same amount of money, but which is experience is less frustrating?

Personally, when I buy from Urban Outfitters or Delia's (or a similar store), it's because I find a certain item that I really want. A lot of the time I find whatever "trend" is "in" kind of weird, and I just select whatever items they have that fit the look I'm going for. Sometimes I won't buy anything from either for a long time because I don't like the looks they're selling. I don't see why people would buy clothes that they don't like...but that's fashion (at least to some people) for you. Wink

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

i love being close to nyc because you can find some great thrift stores/vintage stores in the village. there is also a red white and blue near me which is great and you can always shop at goodwill! it takes a while to find something there but if you're willing to spend the time you can find a few gems for REALLY cheap. and, it's going to a good cause. they just opened an urban outfitters at the mall near me and now everyone is wearing the same thing!
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

princesstripandfall wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Or, better yet, make your own clothes

Yea, except if you wanna make something that actually looks good, it sometimes costs much more than buying it at the store... Razz

I know!!! Fabric, closures, thread, needles, etc, are not cheap. I love making my own clothes, but it's not as cost-efficient as people think.

I love thrift store shopping, but there aren't any good second hand stores in my area. Sad
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.