Laughing City

Do you like Miley Cyrus and/or Hannah Montana?
Yes, and I'm in highschool.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Yes, and I'm a grown-up.
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
No, and I'm in highschool.
25%
 25%  [ 18 ]
No, and I'm a grown-up.
45%
 45%  [ 32 ]
Who?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No opinion.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 70

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Cendrillon wrote:
For some reason I loathe her. her and like, the Jonas Brothers and stuff, why are they so popular? Well, I guess I know why, but it's not my thing.

Because there are too many idiots with too much money and not enough taste.

For a more serious answer, I think it really comes down to a lot young kids (and some adults) who want to be 'down' with music, but don't want to or don't know how search for it. They probably don't have any 'hip' friends/acquaintances/family members. And if they do they just want something that's 'theirs'. They just want music to find them on the Disney Channel/the MTV. It's kind of like mistaking rape for passionate love. Confused Or they just like listening to retarded-ass songs. what do I know.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
johnip
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
She's a huge pop culture phenomenon, and I don't think I've even heard one of her songs before. I don't have cable, don't listen to the radio, or actively see out pop culture.

Therefore, I choose "no opinion".

woot. same here except that I listen to the radio from time to time. But I just listen to alternative stuff or w/e isn't on the top 40's station.

I think it's kinda weird that old folks would listen to a singer on a Disney channel show, but whatever floats their boat. The only thing I've heard about her is the photo "scandal" because of the stupid hollywood access show that comes on after the 6 o'clock news. Razz

Vintage Newbie

^ Such a heartwarming simile.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
leighish
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
I have an mp3 of See You Again

That song is ok. But the song she sings with her dad, it sucks.

i CONSTANTLY have see you again stuck in my head. its..not terrible.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

at my job they can choose from 4 radio stations, one being a popular music one which they normally put on after 10 pm. it has about 15-20 songs on repeat including miley cyrus and the jonas brothers. i heard that new miley cyrus songs 7 TIMES two nights ago from 10 pm-1 am and woke up the next morning with it stuck in my head. i was ready to quit.
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

in high school and i like her.
she's got some pretty raunchy pictures on the internet but i still like her tv show and some of her music is enjoyable. (minus that song with her dad which is TERRIBLE.)

yeah i don't know why i like her, i just do OKAY? Smile
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

i guess i'm an "adult" now, and i really can't stand her anymore. i've watched the show and mildly enjoyed it from time to time, but i'm sick of seeing her daggum face everywhere i go. every single aisle of wal-mart, i swear to god. and today i went into jo-ann's fabric and they had miley cyrus activity sets where you decorate, i don't know, pillowcases or something.

i also can't stand the fact that she tries to be two different people (and i don't mean miley and hannah.) she tries to define herself as more of an "adult" by posting "raunchy" pictures, etc. and then pretends like it's just the media taking advantage of her because she is the most innocent thing in the world. come on.

what i hate most of all is that every freaking picture of her looks like she has rabies or downs or something. particularly this one, which i see everywhere:

edit
these comments do not reflect my views on the rest of the disney channel. i still love you Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, Phil of the Future, and the first High School Musical movie (and most other DCOMs).

Last edited by vivalaspopie on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I'm in college and I like her. I like Disney Channel. I don't really care if people want to make fun of me for that.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

My only exposure to her is the countless product licenses and the infamous Vanity Fair photo spread.

That said, with how famous she is at her age, I can only imagine how screwed up she's going to be in ten years. To be fair though, at least she doesn't come from a completely dysfunctional family (which is largely why Lindsay Lohan has turned into such a train-wreck).

Flickr
Transvaal IV - Myspace : Virb
Deep Thoughts About Shallow Subjects
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
redboots
Sea Post King

Mmm... no miley/hannah for me. Yuck. I've watched one episode which was mildly entertaining... but the music... ahhhh!! Spare me!! And it gets stuck in your head if you hear it and you dont like the song but you cant get it out of your head!!!

vivalaspopie wrote:
what i hate most of all is that every freaking picture of her looks like she has rabies

hahaha her promo pics scare me too...

p.s. i love "start wearing purple". did you see everything is illuminated?
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

My sister (16) really likes her but just because her name is "Hannah" too. It's more of a joke to her. My friend, on the other hand, has had this girl climbing up her last.fm charts with an alarming increase. I don't mind the music much, it's sugary pop and certainly better than Metro Station or Forever the Sickest Kids or that Kid Rock song or whatever else may interrupt my news on the radio, so I don't complain much if Miley/Hannah comes on. You won't, however, find any songs of hers on my computer.
Vintage Newbie

Back when I was babysitting for a living and had to watch at least one Hannah Montana episode every day, I kept marveling at how there was always one line in each installment that was actually legitimately hilarious. Like they blew their entire writing budget on one person with real talent who wrote one line and then went home, and a bunch of monkeys with typewriters handled the rest of it.

The show is crap, her image is crap (that wig! Those clothes!), the music is crap (although "Start All Over" is wicked catchy in an Avril way). Also, I'm pissed because every single person I introduce myself to now makes a Hannah Montana joke.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
The show is crap

The worst thing about her show is that the guy who plays her brother is like 30.

Sea Post King

I used to hate her for no reason but then I actually watched a couple of her shows and I found myself seriously laughing at and enjoying what I was watching. My dad even likes watching her show and he's 52 years old.
I have a burned copy of her new CD and it's really good. She co-wrote over half of the songs on it and, although they're not the greatest lyrics in the world, it still shows that she has some talent other than having a pretty face (although some may argue against that) and only singing songs other people wrote for you.

I'm definitely a Miley supporter and I hope her family keeps her in check and doesn't let her get out of hand.

"I'm bringing the awesome every single day, in every single way." -Mark Hoppus
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Miley Cyrus is like taking over the world, and I still haven't heard any of her songs. Or maybe I have and just didn't know it was her.