Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It's too bad that it won't be in the movie because it wasn't around in 1985 (when the story takes place). But Zack Snyder said it might be on the soundtrack, at least.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i just thought of a (simpsons-esque) running gag we can do to keep with the title of this thread and to justify it being in eisleyblog - just always include a picture of Sherri and then post your Smashing Pumpkins news. i'll start:

Sherri

and

Smashing Pumpkins
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/07/corghan-talks-w.ht ml

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

i've been experiencing a Pumpkins revival, not the new incarnation but the Gish-thru-Adore stuff. i always kinda liked 'em (i hooked on when i first heard 'Siva' which was earlier than most people), but only in the past couple months have i finally understood the reverence they receive. in a fair world they would be as important historically as Nirvana because they sure were better musically. the clashing dynamics, sonic beauty, and heavy-metal riffs all coming at ya are far superior. as i was learning 'Rocket' on guitar i fully grasped how intricate and complex some of those songs are, i have it about 2/3 down but have yet to tackle the descending runs at the end, James' sliding octavey part, and which chord sequences go where as the song structure is irregularly assembled.

for the sherri tie-in, this has a rather Pumpkinesque photoshoot quality about it i think. billy surely would approve.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i actually listened to Mellon Collie for the first time in a while the other day. still love it. i was browsing Billboard.com while i was waiting for some music to download and it was interesting to read the article about James and D'arcy suing for digital royalties - so that means someone knows where D'arcy is because the money has to go somewhere!

2 questions:

1. can anyone give me examples of what James contributed to recordings? i never saw them live, so i have no idea.

2. have they ever really come out and said why james and billy do not communicate?

oh yeah, one last thing:

most popular bands always have "clones" come out later and vocalists that sound like the lead singer - in all these years has there ever been group or vocalist that people compare to SP/Billy? i don't know of any, but there very well could be.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
i actually listened to Mellon Collie for the first time in a while the other day. still love it. i was browsing Billboard.com while i was waiting for some music to download and it was interesting to read the article about James and D'arcy suing for digital royalties - so that means someone knows where D'arcy is because the money has to go somewhere!

2 questions:

1. can anyone give me examples of what James contributed to recordings? i never saw them live, so i have no idea.

2. have they ever really come out and said why james and billy do not communicate?

oh yeah, one last thing:

most popular bands always have "clones" come out later and vocalists that sound like the lead singer - in all these years has there ever been group or vocalist that people compare to SP/Billy? i don't know of any, but there very well could be.

I think he played on "I Am One". I'm pretty sure he played on "Soma" and "Mayonaise". And I am almost 100% sure that he played on most of MCATIS and a lot of the B-sides too like "The Boy".

As for the second question... Billy and James have almost always had strained working partnership.

And last... outside of cover...er tribute bands... I don't think that anyone has tried to sound like Billy. I'm pretty sure at some time someone has been compared to Billy Corgan, but as of this moment I'm ignorant of them. Confused

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

it's really weird though - not even wiki has a 'specific' event that led to it. if it was always strained, he put up with it for some reason for pretty long. i guess it could have been something that just got worse and worse. a band that big, you would have expected a "tell all" interview or something.

when the Pumpkins played live was James basically rhythm guitarist for the most part so Billy could do solos when he wanted?

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
it's really weird though - not even wiki has a 'specific' event that led to it. if it was always strained, he put up with it for some reason for pretty long. i guess it could have been something that just got worse and worse. a band that big, you would have expected a "tell all" interview or something.

when the Pumpkins played live was James basically rhythm guitarist for the most part so Billy could do solos when he wanted?

James mostly did rhythm, yes but he could kick out some sick riffs for sure.

Lots of things led to it. Most days James [but not only him] wouldn't even show up to record, or would leave early, etc. He just had a "don't care" kinda way about him. Over the years it obviously strained. He couldn't take how Billy was [controlling, ...well, just very Billy, you know, haha]. I remember at the very last show at the Metro, they just played their last song, it went on forever - everyone was so emotional and Billy went to speak to James and just be like, I love you man even after all we've been thru, etc. and James was NOWHERE to be found; he just had walked off. James likes to think that Billy was the cause of the break up, but I think that is unfair to blame it on all him. There may be more but this is what has been put out in articles from Billy Corgan himself.
Sharpelectricstar
Sea Post King

I'm seeing them tomorrow for the first time. The set list on this tour looks mighty disappointing. I hope they vary it up on my date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

Sharpelectricstar wrote:
I'm seeing them tomorrow for the first time. The set list on this tour looks mighty disappointing. I hope they vary it up on my date.

Exciting! How is it so disappointing for you?

From what I've seen they are playing some cool songs. A few like, "Once Upon a Time" "Siva" "We Only Come Out At Night" They didn't play any of those the three times I saw them last year.
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

I love the Smashing Pumpkins.but i don't hear a connection in musical styles.
Like billy would use alot of feedback.and i love they way he'd use distortion and over drive to make soft sounds.some guitar affects were even done with synthesizers.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i guess the reason that Billy and Jimmy have stayed together because as far as i know, Billy can't play drums like Jimmy can (and who can for that matter?). has Billy ever played drums on a recording or live for that matter?
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
i guess the reason that Billy and Jimmy have stayed together because as far as i know, Billy can't play drums like Jimmy can (and who can for that matter?). has Billy ever played drums on a recording or live for that matter?

and because they get what they want in one take basically.

i know fooling around he has played, and i think he had tried some in recording but who really knows. rumors rumors. maybe i'll call him up and see.....wishhhh.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Kylee Janai wrote:
bigideas wrote:

i know fooling around he has played, and i think he had tried some in recording but who really knows. rumors rumors. maybe i'll call him up and see.....wishhhh.

jimmy's parts on Mellon Collie are so incredible.
that recording - i think Flood produced that, right?
you hear ever little cymbal hit, etc. and then they eff with the drum sounds on some. there is just such a wide variety of sounds and music on that album.

and dang, my CD skips on Porcelina Twisted Evil

if they're doing a Gish tour, i hope that means Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie tours, cause i'll be there. i really wish it was the original line up though. Crying or Very sad

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:
bigideas wrote:

jimmy's parts on Mellon Collie are so incredible.
that recording - i think Flood produced that, right?
you hear ever little cymbal hit, etc. and then they eff with the drum sounds on some. there is just such a wide variety of sounds and music on that album.

and dang, my CD skips on Porcelina Twisted Evil

if they're doing a Gish tour, i hope that means Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie tours, cause i'll be there. i really wish it was the original line up though. Crying or Very sad

Yes, Flood. It's pretty amazing. Sometimes I forget to listen to that album as much, but when I do, I'm blown away ...each time.

You know, when they had their anniversary of Siamese Dream a few weeks ago, I got so excited and I took it as they were going on a Siamese Dream tour! How wiiicked.

I pissed and moaned for the longest time about them not being all together, but there is no chance it'll ever happen. I'm happy to hear Pumpkin songs once again, and to hear NEW material.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

oh yeah, one last thing:

Silversun Pickups get compared to them but it seems to make fans on both sides mad for some reason from what I've seen. Initials are S.P., don't know if that's a coincidence, haven't looked into it. To me there's seems a definite influence there.

Sherri Photo:

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>