Laughing City
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i was reading up on Mellon Collie on wiki - i had no idea that the vinyl had 2 bonus tracks and a completely different tracklisting.

if someone knows of some interviews circa Mellon Collie where they talk about recording it, please send it my way. it looks like some are referenced in wiki, but i haven't had the chance to look through them.

12" Vinyl version
Side one: Dawn
"Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" – 2:52
"Tonight, Tonight" – 4:14
"Thirty-Three" – 4:10
"In the Arms of Sleep" – 4:12
"Take Me Down" (Iha) – 2:52
Side two: Tea Time
"Jellybelly" – 3:01
"Bodies" – 4:12
"To Forgive" – 4:17
"Here Is No Why" – 3:45
"Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" – 9:21
Side three: Dusk
"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" – 4:18
"Thru the Eyes of Ruby" – 7:38
"Muzzle" – 3:44
"Galapogos" – 4:47
"Tales of a Scorched Earth" – 3:46
Side four: Twilight
"1979" – 4:25
"Beautiful" – 4:18
"Cupid de Locke" – 2:50
"By Starlight" – 4:48
"We Only Come Out at Night" – 4:05
Side five: Midnight
"Where Boys Fear to Tread" – 4:22
"Zero" – 2:41
"F*** You (An Ode to No One)" – 4:51
"Love" – 4:21
"X.Y.U." – 7:07
Side six: Starlight
"Stumbleine" – 2:54
"Lily (My One and Only)" – 3:31
"Tonite Reprise" – 2:40
"Farewell and Goodnight" (Corgan/Iha) – 4:22
"Infinite Sadness" – 4:02

Sharpelectricstar
Sea Post King

Kylee Janai wrote:
Sharpelectricstar wrote:
I'm seeing them tomorrow for the first time. The set list on this tour looks mighty disappointing. I hope they vary it up on my date.

Exciting! How is it so disappointing for you?

From what I've seen they are playing some cool songs. A few like, "Once Upon a Time" "Siva" "We Only Come Out At Night" They didn't play any of those the three times I saw them last year.

setlist: http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/gallery/pics/8_13_08_tennessee.jpg

I'm glad they're playing Eye and 'Batman' (not sure which version they're playing...), but I really wish they would play more of their hit songs. I'd like to hear Disarm, Ava Adore, 1979, Stand Inside Your Love, The Everlasting Gaze, and Cherub Rock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sharpelectricstar
Sea Post King

The Pumpkins played well, but the setlist was really bad. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

did they play We Only Come Out at Night?
i was wondering what the arrangement for this song was -
(is it billy, jimmy, a bassist and guitarist for this tour)?

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
i actually listened to Mellon Collie for the first time in a while the other day. still love it. i was browsing Billboard.com while i was waiting for some music to download and it was interesting to read the article about James and D'arcy suing for digital royalties - so that means someone knows where D'arcy is because the money has to go somewhere!

2 questions:

1. can anyone give me examples of what James contributed to recordings? i never saw them live, so i have no idea.

2. have they ever really come out and said why james and billy do not communicate?

oh yeah, one last thing:

most popular bands always have "clones" come out later and vocalists that sound like the lead singer - in all these years has there ever been group or vocalist that people compare to SP/Billy? i don't know of any, but there very well could be.

Didn't it say D'arcy was living in Wisconson or Michigan, running a horse farm? That was in the report I read. I'm glad the lawsuit is about the label too, not amongst each other.

I don't know about on the recordings either, but James got a handful of solo-ish parts when they played live, probably mostly when Billy is singing something and a tricky guitar bit overlaps. If you guys really want to know the deep, dark Billy story, you should read his blog where during the spring of 2005 he got a wild hair and wrote piecemeal recollections about his life, and I mean his WHOLE life, many entries concerning his childhood. In it, towards the end of the original Pumpkins, Billy refers several times to "James' continuing disloyalty" to the band, he doesn't elaborate so I interpret that as meaning James didn't appear to care about the band anymore. Billy tells an anecdote that he knew they were done when after the last show James tells the audience he'd like to thank D'arcy for his Pumpkins experience, and doesn't even mention the two guys (Billy and Jimmy) still up there on stage with him. Heck, let him tell it:

Billy Corgan wrote:
The truth of the matter is is that james iha broke up the smashing pumpkins...not me, not jimmy, but james...did it help that d'arcy was fired for being a mean spirited drug addict, who refused to get help? No, that didn't help keep the band together, not at all...it made it very hard to go on, but we soldier! ed thru it even though our hearts were broken...But d'arcy didn't break up the band, we didn't let her...and jimmy didn't want to break up the band, not at that time...and I would have gone on forever...the smashing pumpkins were essentially my entire life...a dream I still believe in...many friends at that time suggested letting james leave, so jimmy and I could continue on under the name...but I was too loyal to the man I had started the whole thing with, and I protected him until the very end...right up until the last show on dec 2, 2000, when he thanked d'arcy on stage, but not the 2 men standing next to him...and I was loyal until he left the metro without even saying goodbye, or an 'its been great boys!', or a simple 'I love you' to us...no, james iha left the metro that night without saying goodbye to the 2 people he had won and lost and traveled the world with...so I won't be protecting him anymore...and I won't be protecting a whole lot of other people anymore...not because I don't love them (I do!!) but because ! I love myself too...

http://billycorgan.livejournal.com/2004/02/17/

As for Corgan clones, oddly enough D'arcy's ex-husband's band Catherine sounded like a Pumpkins cover band to me! Some good songs though.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i think in the most recent legal thing she's listed as living in Austin.
maybe James could stand Billy as long as D'arcy was there. then when she was fired he had nothing holding him on.

the 2000 show mentioned - that was the Machina tour where D'arcy was already out of the group, right? (i'm guessing Melissa was playing?)
if i remember correctly D'arcy is credited on the album but she didn't tour at all. i remember them performing Everlasting Gaze on MTV.

how does everyone rank post Machina Corgan albums:
zwan, futureembrace, and zeitgeist?

i'm kinda wanting to get these now, though at the time i didn't like what i heard.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
maybe James could stand Billy as long as D'arcy was there. then when she was fired he had nothing holding him on.

the 2000 show mentioned - that was the Machina tour where D'arcy was already out of the group, right? (i'm guessing Melissa was playing?)
if i remember correctly D'arcy is credited on the album but she didn't tour at all. i remember them performing Everlasting Gaze on MTV.

i'm kinda wanting to get these now, though at the time i didn't like what i heard.

Machina II was my favorite out of the later Corgan works. Then Machina, FutureEmbrace, Zwan and Zeitgeist.

But as far as James and D'arcy... I think a lot of it had to do with band politics. Billy and D'arcy were at each others throats when they first met.
James and D'arcy were very...ahem...'close'. In addition to the fact that James and Billy were never BFFF's--probably due to Billy's controlling nature. Billy always seemed to have this Imelda Marcos idea about his position as front-man/band leader. So I guess, the Pumpkins just became an place where James didn't feel comfortable anymore. I read this article about former Suede singer, Brett Anderson, and former Suede guitarist Bernard Butler's new project the Tears. The piece talks about how the two don't really get along and how the media likes to portray all the band members being best friends. Which is probably one of the reasons that Eisley always gets the "How often do you fight?" question.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Sharpelectricstar
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
did they play We Only Come Out at Night?
i was wondering what the arrangement for this song was -
(is it billy, jimmy, a bassist and guitarist for this tour)?

They played it for the encore. The keyboardist played it and the rest of the band sang and used kazoos. Billy introduced the whole band so I think they're actual members now, not just 'hired help.'Smile

Also, the Pumpkins new EP American Gothic is actually quite good. I like it a lot more than Zeitgeist.
boyd
Eisleyoid

Sherri loves "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"... Yes. We used to play it on tour all the time... And Sherri still plays the double disk album. So... She is a fan, yep. But doesn't really know much of their other music. There u go.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
Sherri loves "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"... Yes. We used to play it on tour all the time... And Sherri still plays the double disk album. So... She is a fan, yep. But doesn't really know much of their other music. There u go.

No Siamese Dream or Adore (the albums before and after)?

cuh-razeee! Shocked

oh yes, i forgot to mention - when reading through the SP Billboard news items, the one about Billy suing Virgin and Pepsi for use of their song, he mentioned that he had proposed putting out special editions of their albums with bonus/unreleased tracks and Virgin didn't want to do it. Sounds like there's something he's not mentioned because I don't know why they wouldn't want to do that - they'd sell tons of copies.

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

She looks so much different now, but healthy and happy, so that's good.

Melissa was playing, yes. D'Arcy agreed to play on the Machina album but then that was it.

I loved/love Zwan. I wasn't a fan of Paz so much, but she was an amazing bassist. I don't even have the energy to even try her parts.

Billy Corgan solo at first, I was like ohh this is not so my favorite, but then I saw him on the Future Embrace tour and loved it. Now I listen to the album all the time, and some of his songs never released for it are really special too.

Zeitgeist is amazing. My sister who is a big ol' Pumpkinhead doesn't even care for it, but whatever, I think it's great. Of course it's different, not "classic Pumpkin" some may say, but hearing 'em live is what makes up for a song with ten different Billy's singing at once ahha.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Kylee Janai wrote:

there are recent pics of her?
(direct me to them please)

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

Okay, this just took me forever to find. I had randomly found it a long time ago on pumpkins.net and here is the site that leads you to the pic:

http://tsponline.30.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=58
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Kylee Janai wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

Okay, this just took me forever to find. I had randomly found it a long time ago on pumpkins.net and here is the site that leads you to the pic:

http://tsponline.30.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=58

ok, thanks.
kinda small and the darcy fansite they mention seems to be no more.
this song is epic:

i don't think i put it together before that Mike Mills of REM played piano on the track.

blisteredavalon
Sea Post King

i think Zeitgeist is great. but for some reason the only song i listen to from it now is United States. i think i read somewhere that Billy said himself that they didnt delve very deep into their artistic-crazy-obscure songwriting-ness because, as a comeback album, they wanted it to be more accessible. i don't like it as much as their 1988-2000 work, but its still much better than 90% of the music nowadays.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>