36%  [ 18 ]
You don't vote...
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 50

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
That said, I think there is a lot more that one can do to help their nation and its people than just voting once every four years!

well put, i like that.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
tahruh wrote:
JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
i really hope all the people who selected "you don't vote" are just too young to.

Nope.
I chose not to vote and I'm of age. It's my right, no?

I don't believe a thing from either of the candidates that actually have a chance to win.
Lol, oh just admit that you're not registered to vote.
Razz

I'm actually a registered independent in the state of Texas.
SO BACK OFF, WOMAN!
Since when? Rolling Eyes Just vote for Barr. (If you're actually registered!) Wink
norad
Vintage Newbie

I want to vote for Nathan Petrelli. Laughing He's more like Superman than Obama. He can actually fly.
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

I vote for my reproductive freedom.

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
Valerie
Lost at Forum

I vote because my grandpa would disown me if I didn't. Laughing

No really, I vote because that's how this government is supposed to work.
And I get to vote absentee because I work the polls on election day!
Joined: 21 Jun 2004 | Posts: 1114 | Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

ladiosadice wrote:

I'm pretty sure none of the candidates are planning on banning reproduction.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
ladiosadice wrote:

I'm pretty sure none of the candidates are planning on banning reproduction.

They should. Too many people in the world.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Rb wrote:
I'm 21, haven't registered, don't want to. I don't see the purpose of voting in this election or any election, because sure you can believe in change, but it really isn't contingent on what myself, one person out of California thinks, it is the majority. Since California is clearly a blue state, if I were to place my vote either way, neither would matter because if I choose Mccain over Obama, California majority will be Obama, and what will one more vote for Obama do for California, he doesn't need any more help. I think it would have more meaning to be in a swing state, but California, no need to care, just sit back and watch.
There are a lot more things to vote for on your ballot other the office of president. Bond measures, local political races, management of political redistricting and I think some people want to take the word "marriage" away from the gays. None of this matters to you?

If you pass on all of that ... but found time to vote in this poll ... Rolling Eyes

BTW - Glad to see some third party action in this thread. Remember, if everyone waits for a third party to become viable to vote for them, then a third party will never become viable. If you don't like either major party, don't vote for them but don't use that as an excuse not to vote. That said, if you have a more compelling reason not to vote then I respect your decision to stay out of the booth.

Lost at Forum

gundamit wrote:
There are a lot more things to vote for on your ballot other the office of president. Bond measures, local political races, management of political redistricting and I think some people want to take the word "marriage" away from the gays. None of this matters to you?

Exactly. It's about far more than who gets picked for president. Lots of local things on there as well that matter just as much, if not more IMO.

gundamit wrote:
If you pass on all of that ... but found time to vote in this poll ... Rolling Eyes

Laughing

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I don't necessarily believe he's a flawless person or politician, but I believe he has the people skills necessary to do his job, which is surround himself with people who are inspired to help him do his job effectively. I trust his judgment to surround himself with the correct group of people to be effective.

I believe he will have the support of many people from his political party, and thus have a little hope to work with congress and not have an uphill battle to legislative reforms. I don't believe the opposing party is very keen on cooperating in these efforts unless forced to by crisis. I believe we are in the midst of a crisis just watch this http://www.moneyasdebt.net/

I'm sure this can be said for both candidates if a person is compelled, but third party folks are on the outs. Subversion from within seems the only path to change in that regard. We are hitting a wall either way. The fact that no one from the current administration (Or Bush family... Jeb anyone?) was figured into the election from the onset is a sign of change of some sort. Cycle's broken for now, one can hope right?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
I'll just say this now, I hate it when people vote because they 'can' (that's blacks, women, and 18-20-year-olds). I think that if you don't know what you're voting for (not what you think you're voting for) you shouldn't vote. I don't really agree with everything (anything) that Cubs is voting for, however, it's obvious that he's done his homework so I can respect his vote. However, he's got it right in the 'why' category. There was never a perfect candidate, so the best anybody can do is the lesser of two evils.

People vote "because they can." shouldn't be taken literally as a reason, but as a distinction, implying that they wouldn't have been able to given historical changes that would not have come about without a specific effort. It's a matter of liberty achieved. So, to not like a misinformed voter is pretty much Elitist, whether they be minorities and women, or uneducated or bigoted. Everyone has the privileged, well almost... read this http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23638322/block_the_vote/pri nt

People here in America are free, for better or worse. It's what we sell to the world, and it's also the source of a lot of our woes because people in America aren't necessarily selfless or communal in their thinking. But that's what we are. Love it or leave it. As long as we're honest about it, and not deceitful and corrupt, the process is what it is, and any grievances people have are their own cross to bear. Otherwise, mount a campaign to end it if you're that put off. Seems to have worked for all those folks who vote "because they can."

Or not, cause you're free to do whatever, so long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights, right?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

guitargirl wrote:
I vote first because I feel an obligation to do so as a woman, because that right was denied for so long. I vote second to advance what I believe is right.

when i can vote, im definitely voting every chance i get since it's now a right we got rather recently (compared to how long women suffrages have been around) as women.
i also think that we as citizens of a democracy should exercise our rights, as it's something not many people enjoy around the world.
however i dont think voting is something that should be taken lightly, and that people should really know why/who they're voting for.

-Mae West
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Just to put in my two cents, since I was the one that started this fantastic conversation, I'm voting for the candidate that I truly believe in, in spite of the fact that he won't be elected and I know he won't be elected. But it's going to be a slow walk towards there being a third party that is paid attention to and I want to be part of that movement.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Everyone has the privileged, well almost... read this http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23638322/block_the_vote/pri nt

I was going to post this in the Palin thread. Everyone needs to read this article.

Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
I'll just say this now, I hate it when people vote because they 'can' (that's blacks, women, and 18-20-year-olds). I think that if you don't know what you're voting for (not what you think you're voting for) you shouldn't vote. I don't really agree with everything (anything) that Cubs is voting for, however, it's obvious that he's done his homework so I can respect his vote. However, he's got it right in the 'why' category. There was never a perfect candidate, so the best anybody can do is the lesser of two evils.

People vote "because they can." shouldn't be taken literally as a reason, but as a distinction, implying that they wouldn't have been able to given historical changes that would not have come about without a specific effort. It's a matter of liberty achieved. So, to not like a misinformed voter is pretty much Elitist, whether they be minorities and women, or uneducated or bigoted. Everyone has the privileged, well almost... read this http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23638322/block_the_vote/pri nt

People here in America are free, for better or worse. It's what we sell to the world, and it's also the source of a lot of our woes because people in America aren't necessarily selfless or communal in their thinking. But that's what we are. Love it or leave it. As long as we're honest about it, and not deceitful and corrupt, the process is what it is, and any grievances people have are their own cross to bear. Otherwise, mount a campaign to end it if you're that put off. Seems to have worked for all those folks who vote "because they can."

Or not, cause you're free to do whatever, so long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights, right?

I know I'm being elitist, that doesn't make me wrong. Being a responsible citizen means that you know for what you're voting. Of course you have the freedom to vote for someone because you like their tie or something stupid like that, but it doesn't mean that you should. I mean, you have the freedom to say whatever you want. (I believe the First Amendment at any time, anyplace in public) But that doesn't mean it's responsible to shout racial slurs in the ghetto while you're pushing a baby in a stroller.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>