Laughing City

Who are you voting for/would vote for tomorrow?
Charles Baldwin
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Bob Barr
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
John McCain
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
Cynthia McKinney
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Ralph Nader
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Barack Obama
59%
 59%  [ 49 ]
Other (write in)
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Choosing not to vote (don't pick if you are ineligible to vote, but wish to vote)
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 83

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Nightmare wrote:
sebas wrote:
Yea, you also forgot that posting something so controversial without a source makes you look dumb.

Or forgetful. Meanwhile you just always seem angry and bitter at life.

@Pantheon, as I said I got rid of the book two years ago when I didn't need it anymore. And you saying your unicorn turd story is about as impressive to me as telling you the story that evolution is just as likely to happen as a printing factory exploding and all of the letters compiling the complete works of shakespeare. We're both unimpressed. As for science proving that biblical creationism could not have occured, I believe that in this case science is wrong. And people are going to jump at me saying "ZOMG YOU JUST DON'T SEE FACTS" but that's untrue. We've broken so many impossibilities by improving science. I firmly believe in science and study, I also firmly believe in God and creationism. God works by natural laws, he doesn't just make things up. Perfect religion and perfect science match up. I'm positive of that.

Oh, you're positive eh? Go drink a gallon or two of pure arsenic and tell me about it. Wink Don't really do it tho. I'm not going to jail because of your faith.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

ANYWAY!

Obama! Yay!

I also voted No on California's Prop 8. Smile
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Nightmare wrote:
sebas wrote:
Nightmare wrote:

Or forgetful. Meanwhile you just always seem angry and bitter at life.

It's because I don't have the good lord to guide me.
Or because I'm one of the most displaced people on this forum. Neutral

I have no problem with you personally. Or your ideas. It just seems that everytime someone with a differing viewpoint than yours says something you attack them.

I don't know, maybe I'm just not seeing it right.

No that is how I see it too.

And I don't think Sebas is displaced or whatever, I just think he needs ot let people disagree with him. It is ok to not agree on stuff. But because of how he reacts when people disagree he comes accross as bitter, and a jerk. But maybe he is ok with that

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

i voted for Obama and libertarian for all the rest. ... i know that doesn't make much sense but it was early.
Last edited by chasd00 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i am a registered democrat, and i normally look at names instead of party affiliation, but I ended up voting all republican except for the county coroner and for state senate, they were both democrats.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
i am a registered democrat, and i normally look at names instead of party affiliation, but I ended up voting all republican except for the county coroner and for state senate, they were both democrats.

Yeah looking at the names and personal views is much more important than just voting for your party. I'm fairly moderate but a registered republican and there are definitely people I don't vote for who are republicans.

Off topic, but in WA the republican running for governer (Dino Rossi) put that he preffered the GOP party instead of republican just so people would take a look at his personal views instead of the knee jerk reaction "bush sucks don't vote republican."

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Go John McCain!

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

Nightmare wrote:
mr pine wrote:

Yeah looking at the names and personal views is much more important than just voting for your party. I'm fairly moderate but a registered republican and there are definitely people I don't vote for who are republicans.

Off topic, but in WA the republican running for governer (Dino Rossi) put that he preffered the GOP party instead of republican just so people would take a look at his personal views instead of the knee jerk reaction "bush sucks don't vote republican."

do you get anything by registering for a specific party?

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
mr pine wrote:

do you get anything by registering for a specific party?

um all i can speak for is in illinois.

in illinois, when you register, you have to pick a party. you can be either dem, rep, or indepented (i think)

also in illinois, if you are a registered democrat you can vote in the democrat primary, but not the republican one, and visa versa.

back in 2004 when obama ran for senate here in illinois, i got a call from the local democratic office telling me that I could see him speak live at a local park here. i assume i would not of gotten that call if I was a registered republican

wilsmith wrote:

sebas
Golly, Poster

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:

As evolutionists studied humans and species of apes in the 1970's and 1980's, some rather surprising information was being discovered that distinguished us from apes and other primates. The maximum Fst value (a measure of variation between population groups) between human races is 0.08 (1, 2). However, among populations of chimps, orangutans, and other primate species, Fst values are commonly more than 0.20. An examination of 62 common protein coding genetic loci, indicates a substitution rate of 0.011/locus (Caucasoids versus Mongoloids), to a maximum of 0.029 (Mongoloids versus Negroids). However, in nearly all other animal species studied, including apes, usually exceed 0.05 (2). In humans, heterozygosity (the proportion of alleles that are polymorphic, in this case within the species) is 1.8% , whereas in apes it ranges from 2.5 in the Orangutan to 3.9 in the Chimpanzee (3). An analysis of the genetics of populations of apes reveals that different population groups possess fixed novel mutations that characterize each population. In contrast, there are no novel mutations or genetic alleles that specifically characterize any one human race from another. More recent studies have confirmed the early work, likewise showing that human genetic diversity is far less than what one would predict from Darwinian theory. Dr. Maryellen Ruvolo (Harvard University) has noted, "It's a mystery none of us can explain." (4). Examinations of the genetic sequences of diverse modern human populations reveals minor, if any differences (5). All of this evidence suggested a recent origin for modern humans.

1) R. Lewontin 1972. The apportionment of human diversity. Evolutionary Biology 6: 381-398
2) M. Nei and A. K. Roychoudhury. 1982. Genetic relationship and evolution of human races. Evolutionary Biology 14: 1-59
3) Janczewski DN. Goldman D. O'Brien SJ. 1990. Molecular genetic divergence of orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) subspecies based on isozyme and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Journal of Heredity 81: 375-387
4) Gibbons, A. 1995. The mystery of humanity's missing mutations. Science 267: 35-36.
5) Pult I, Sajantila A, Simanainen J, Georgiev O, Schaffner W, Paabo S. 1994. Mitochondrial DNA sequences from Switzerland reveal striking homogeneity of European populations. Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler 375: 837-840

1970's and 80's? Talk about outdated data.
Might as well be comparing ourselves to chipmunks with what you posted. The whole point of evolution is that we EVOLVED. Meaning we are no longer what we were then. Therefore the data you posted has little relevance to the disproof of evolution.

Personally, I can't even see the point of arguing about it. It's been clear to me that species develop traits according to their environment and lifestyle. Ex: Finch-beak is fit according to its eating habits.

@ you two. Yes, I'm aware that I'm a huge $#@!. But I put a being's rights over my politeness. Plus, I've lived in lots of places, and have had to put up with natives screaming out their skewed views to me, and it gets a bit annoying. In MY opinion, people should get to see the world a bit, explore a few cultures, before setting their beliefs in stone. But I know not everybody has that opportunity. Neutral

-Mahatma, Gandhi
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:
@ you two. Yes, I'm aware that I'm a huge $#@!. But I put a being's rights over my politeness. Plus, I've lived in lots of places, and have had to put up with natives screaming out their skewed views to me, and it gets a bit annoying. In MY opinion, people should get to see the world a bit, explore a few cultures, before setting their beliefs in stone. But I know not everybody has that opportunity. Neutral

Well what if one has done those things and they still come to a conclusion that is different than yours?

besides, since you are traveled and all, havent you learned that people like it when you are nice and not mean? If you have traveled as much as you say you have then you should know that everyone is different, and if we want to all get along, you simply accept anothers belief instead of calling them ignorant for thinking it.
but hey, i know not every one has had that opportunity, you know, to be rational.

wilsmith wrote:

prenticebard
Sea Post King

Thanks for including third party candidates! I voted for Chuck Baldwin last week.
sebas
Golly, Poster

My opinion is the only one that matters, silly. Idea

People don't debate this stuff out in the open all the time. And when it does pop up, well...it's a lot easier getting ganged up on on a forum than in person where you'll probably not get to say very much. Listening to somebody's opinion who has been exposed to different views frequently, is more worthwhile to listen to than to some guy who has lived in one town his whole life. But maybe that's just me.

And like I said, I have no problem being "mean" and not getting along with someone, when that person does not fully understand both perspectives.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
Jared x
Lost at Forum

freakinalex wrote:
Where's the "I didn't realize you had to absentee vote way in advance and can't drive home to vote on Tuesday because I'm a theatre major and have to perform in a children's show" option? Because that would be my pick.

What children's show?

Pantheon4 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
I voted Obama and I feel pretty damn good about it.

In Tennessee? You wasted your time. I'm so glad that my vote will probably amount to something. Razz

So what, she shouldn't have voted? Rolling Eyes I voted Obama this morning, and I live in Texas. Waste of time? Maybe. Do I regret it? Not at all.

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:
My opinion is the only one that matters, silly. Idea

People don't debate this stuff out in the open all the time. And when it does pop up, well...it's a lot easier getting ganged up on on a forum than in person where you'll probably not get to say very much. Listening to somebody's opinion who has been exposed to different views frequently, is more worthwhile to listen to than to some guy who has lived in one town his whole life. But maybe that's just me.

And like I said, I have no problem being "mean" and not getting along with someone, when that person does not fully understand both perspectives.

I guess that's where the anonomynity of the internet kills you. Because I've lived all over the United States on both the east and west coasts, in small towns and downtown apartments. I've lived in rich areas, at one time I lived next door to a drug house. I've lived all over. I've visited other countries. I've spent two years as a missionary for my church exposed entirely to the spanish culture, mostly the Puerto Ricans. My girlfriend is from Northern Ireland, her father is British. One of my good acquaintances was a hitman for a Southern California gang. A great friend of mine has an eight car garage. I've seen a little bit. Don't make ignorant assumptions that you're better and more cultured than people you know nothing about.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams