Laughing City

Who are you voting for/would vote for tomorrow?
Charles Baldwin
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Bob Barr
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
John McCain
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
Cynthia McKinney
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Ralph Nader
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Barack Obama
59%
 59%  [ 49 ]
Other (write in)
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Choosing not to vote (don't pick if you are ineligible to vote, but wish to vote)
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 83

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Don't FOrget History was MADE!!!

First Senator Ever Elected President!!! Seriously! Very Happy How could people not be covering THAT javascript:emoticon Question Exclamation Question Razz

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
The senate seat in Minnesota is going down to the WIRE.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/individual/#MNS01

If Franken does get elected, I really hope he won't be as embarrassing as Jesse Ventura.

I previously said Recount is assured in that race. Now Norm Coleman leads by 600 votes. This one certainly will be challenged heavily. From disputed ballots to recounts to disputes over "iregularities."

Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, ahead by 1%, will likely be fighting for his political future on many fronts as well. Recounts and he still is appealing his conviction on 7 felonies. Many may feel he should step down, as Sarah Palin said he should. This fight will however continue on as the seat may hold the key to the democrats taking a supermajority, filibuster proof majority in the senate (if Coleman and Stevens both lose, democrats will have 58 senate seats along with 2 independents who caucus with them to get to 60). If nothing else, if Ted Stevens wins the recount, he could then step down and be replaced in the Senate by appointment of the Governor (Sarah Palin).

wilsmith wrote:

First Senator Ever Elected President!!! Seriously! Very Happy How could people not be covering THAT javascript:emoticon Question Exclamation Question Razz

First in 48 years.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

My home state of Missouri was split right down the middle on the candidates, as was North Carolina. In most states the margin was waaay closer than I expected. I was really surprised McCain conceded so quickly.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
My home state of Missouri was split right down the middle on the candidates, as was North Carolina. In most states the margin was waaay closer than I expected. I was really surprised McCain conceded so quickly.

No way to get to 270, even if all fights broke his way. He did the right thing. And let's face it, if this election ended up in the courts, a civil war would be the likely outcome.
Last edited by CUBSWINWORLDSERIES on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I am beyond elated, to say the least. I know he's not perfect, but no candidate will be. He seems more than good enough, and I am happy that the United States is finally again living up to its reputation as the greatest country in the world.

As far as Franken goes, my exposure to him (my gf has had a discussion with him) has shown me that he is an extremely intelligent and capable person. The only thing he has in common with Ventura is that he also chose a field of entertainment as his profession. Too bad it doesn't look like he will win. If I wasn't still registered in Texas, I definitely would have voted for him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theantrider/2790296832/

This is from the Minnesota State Fair, where I heard part of an interview. He did very well, and I hope he tries again.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
After reading some of the comments in this thread I would have though we just elected the Messiah as our next President...

I understand the Obama supporters are happy he won, but just don't go thinking he's going to end all poverty, find Bin Laden by himself, and make everyone's farts smell like flowers. He's just a human being.

With that being said, I'm very happy to have a change in the White House.
I mean, I know you have that chip on your shoulder and everything, but really?

You act like most [adults] really believe a president is capable of such things; I certainly hope Americans aren't that delusional. It takes more than the majority of our nation...and in some cases the world, to band to together to achieve the two things you mentioned.

Mccain's CONcession (whoops, a little freudian slip, perhaps? Razz) speech last night showed the man I originally wanted for president. Unfortunately, his ego, due to competition and the chance at such a high power, turned him into a pretty crappy person, and allowed him to make some pretty terrible choices along the way. I truly believe things could have only gotten worse for him, and us a nation, had he been elected. Obama (ironically, some self-professed witty individuals might say Wink) didn't change; he's remained the same person throughout his run, and I imagine he will remain the same person in office. His even temper and ability to understand and make good choices is the main reason why he got my vote. Both are decent men, and both stand for things I do and don't agree with, but only one had a chance, and I wanted to make sure the man who was better suited for it, in my opinion, got it.

Obama being elected changes many of the rules, don't kid yourself, but I think most of us realize one man can't change everything (for the better or the worst); that lies on all of us.
Last edited by tahruh on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Nightmare wrote:

And @ Kulvir, just because someone recognized a good Democratic president doesn't mean that they can't support a Republican candidate. People get too caught up in political parties.

Lol@ the second Roosevelt being a good president.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

Yup, this fellow Missourian finds it interesting that we elected a Dem Governor with no problem, but Obama was a no go Confused

Oh whatever, OJ got convicted and is going to jail, Obama won, for the disgruntled Russ Limbaugh listener the scales are balanced.
we need a "blah" emoicon

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
The senate seat in Minnesota is going down to the WIRE.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/individual/#MNS01

If Franken does get elected, I really hope he won't be as embarrassing as Jesse Ventura.

I previously said Recount is assured in that race. Now Norm Coleman leads by 600 votes. This one certainly will be challenged heavily. From disputed ballots to recounts to disputes over "iregularities."

Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, ahead by 1%, will likely be fighting for his political future on many fronts as well. Recounts and he still is appealing his conviction on 7 felonies. Many may feel he should step down, as Sarah Palin said he should. This fight will however continue on as the seat may hold the key to the democrats taking a supermajority, filibuster proof majority in the senate (if Coleman and Stevens both lose, democrats will have 58 senate seats along with 2 independents who caucus with them to get to 60). If nothing else, if Ted Stevens wins the recount, he could then step down and be replaced in the Senate by appointment of the Governor (Sarah Palin).

wilsmith wrote:

First in 48 years.

Man, I was off on that one by a mile, my bad, and good call on the fact check, last time I took US history was 14 years ago, and I spent most of lecture catching up on sleep, often with said lecturer rooming the classroom, occasionally stopping right at my desk while continuing his oratory at full volume until I woke and picked up with the notes, turned scribble left off...

So, in thanks I say this, Cubs lost after 100 years of losing, sorry Chi-town... but there's always next year. D. Rose is playing very well, in front of a hometown crowd, the Bears are doing alright (I think, at least better than the Rams right?), the Pumpkins 2.0 are playing and your sort of hometown guy became the first president of color (what a silly, but socially accurate way to put it).

It's not MJ at his prime, but it's better than how the MLB turned out, and R. Kelly remaining a free man. It ain't all bad up there at all. Very Happy

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Pretty amazing that people had to show photo ID to get into Grant Park for the Obama victory party last night, but only a handful of states require a photo ID in order to vote...
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

Pretty amazing that people had to show photo ID to get into Grant Park for the Obama victory party last night, but only a handful of states require a photo ID in order to vote...

I don't need to show an ID at my polling place.

I totally could have voted as myself and then again as my sister.

Shocked I didn't, guys.

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

prenticebard wrote:
Thanks for including third party candidates! I voted for Chuck Baldwin last week.

i'm with this guy… or gal... or whatever...

i'm registered as a Republican, and voted a more-or-less straight party-line ticket, and almost voted for John McCain, but i just couldn't bring myself to do it! while i believe in all the stereotypical Republican principles (small government, low taxes, gun rights, “the right to life”, etc), i'm strongly opposed to the big-government, big-spending, war-mongering, Constitution-destroying, so-called “neoconservatism” of George W. Bush and John McCain, and grew less and less comfortable with the idea of voting for one just because “well, at least he's not another big government liberal…” (no, he's another big government pseudo-“conservative!”) i think the final straw was the bail-out: not only was it John McCain and George W. Bush trying to force this country further and further down the road to serfdom, it brought back all those nasty memories of the Patriot Act, the start of the Iraq war, and all the other evil this president has shoved down our throats in the name of “security” (all-in-all quite possibly the largest expansion in government since FDR — how “conservative!”)

i was almost going to vote for Bob Barr, but towards the end of the campaign i started to feel drawn towards Chuck Baldwin, and while i certainly disagree with him on a lot, i also disagree with Bob Barr on a lot, and Chuck Baldwin came off to me as simply being the better man (i'm sure the Ron Paul endorsement helped, too, at some level…)

honestly, part of me is glad to see that Barack Obama won (and not just because he's “The First Black President!”), but part of me is also horrified, so… we'll see, i guess…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

ladiosadice wrote:

Shocked I didn't, guys.
Wow, really? The old bag that had my information tried to tell me I couldn't vote because my ID's address didn't match my voter card's. The streets are different, but it's the same town. I'm like, I used the number on my ID to fill out for my card, and obviously gave them my new address, and they saw no issue, so how the hell can you? After a big stink, she finally called a woman in charge over who told her it was a nonissue. She was mad. Razz
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:
ladiosadice wrote:

Shocked I didn't, guys.
Wow, really? The old bag that had my information tried to tell me I couldn't vote because my ID's address didn't match my voter card's. The streets are different, but it's the same town. I'm like, I used the number on my ID to fill out for my card, and obviously gave them my new address, and they saw no issue, so how the hell can you? After a big stink, she finally called a woman in charge over who told her it was a nonissue. She was mad. Razz

Wow. That's rediculous. I now understand how people complain of check-in problems.
I don't even know where my voter registration card is.

We just go up to a table, say our last name then first. And if we are in the computer they ask for our address and birthdate (without the year). Then you sign a piece of paper. That's it!

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Lol, well I should mention I live in Florida (but I am NOT a Floridian...ick!), and we're known for our voting incompetence. I guess they want to take every preventative measure. Our ballots were so dumbed down that it involved drawing a small line connecting two very close black arrows. Laughing

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>