Laughing City

Who are you voting for/would vote for tomorrow?
Charles Baldwin
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Bob Barr
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
John McCain
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
Cynthia McKinney
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Ralph Nader
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Barack Obama
59%
 59%  [ 49 ]
Other (write in)
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Choosing not to vote (don't pick if you are ineligible to vote, but wish to vote)
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 83

prenticebard
Sea Post King

do not be afraid. wrote:
prenticebard wrote:
Thanks for including third party candidates! I voted for Chuck Baldwin last week.

i'm with this guy… or gal... or whatever...

i'm registered as a Republican, and voted a more-or-less straight party-line ticket, and almost voted for John McCain, but i just couldn't bring myself to do it! while i believe in all the stereotypical Republican principles (small government, low taxes, gun rights, “the right to life”, etc), i'm strongly opposed to the big-government, big-spending, war-mongering, Constitution-destroying, so-called “neoconservatism” of George W. Bush and John McCain, and grew less and less comfortable with the idea of voting for one just because “well, at least he's not another big government liberal…” (no, he's another big government pseudo-“conservative!”) i think the final straw was the bail-out: not only was it John McCain and George W. Bush trying to force this country further and further down the road to serfdom, it brought back all those nasty memories of the Patriot Act, the start of the Iraq war, and all the other evil this president has shoved down our throats in the name of “security” (all-in-all quite possibly the largest expansion in government since FDR — how “conservative!”)

i was almost going to vote for Bob Barr, but towards the end of the campaign i started to feel drawn towards Chuck Baldwin, and while i certainly disagree with him on a lot, i also disagree with Bob Barr on a lot, and Chuck Baldwin came off to me as simply being the better man (i'm sure the Ron Paul endorsement helped, too, at some level…)

honestly, part of me is glad to see that Barack Obama won (and not just because he's “The First Black President!”), but part of me is also horrified, so… we'll see, i guess…

I'm a guy, just for the record. Smile

And I agree with everything you said. While I am very conservative, I see positives in Obama's election, namely a chance for conservatives to realign with their roots and reject the neocons.

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, ahead by 1%, will likely be fighting for his political future on many fronts as well. Recounts and he still is appealing his conviction on 7 felonies. Many may feel he should step down, as Sarah Palin said he should. This fight will however continue on as the seat may hold the key to the democrats taking a supermajority, filibuster proof majority in the senate (if Coleman and Stevens both lose, democrats will have 58 senate seats along with 2 independents who caucus with them to get to 60). If nothing else, if Ted Stevens wins the recount, he could then step down and be replaced in the Senate by appointment of the Governor (Sarah Palin).

I'm honestly shocked that the Stevens race is as close as it is. If he wins, he's a damn fool if he doesn't step down and let Palin appoint someone else, because the Senate has already made clear they don't take kindly to his conviction and the Republican party wants him gone too. If he has any sense of loyalty to the people who voted for him he'll step down, shut up, and protect his party from a filibuster.

Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, ahead by 1%, will likely be fighting for his political future on many fronts as well. Recounts and he still is appealing his conviction on 7 felonies. Many may feel he should step down, as Sarah Palin said he should. This fight will however continue on as the seat may hold the key to the democrats taking a supermajority, filibuster proof majority in the senate (if Coleman and Stevens both lose, democrats will have 58 senate seats along with 2 independents who caucus with them to get to 60). If nothing else, if Ted Stevens wins the recount, he could then step down and be replaced in the Senate by appointment of the Governor (Sarah Palin).

I'm honestly shocked that the Stevens race is as close as it is. If he wins, he's a damn fool if he doesn't step down and let Palin appoint someone else, because the Senate has already made clear they don't take kindly to his conviction and the Republican party wants him gone too. If he has any sense of loyalty to the people who voted for him he'll step down, shut up, and protect his party from a filibuster.

I don't know if you already knew this, but there is this little thing called "hubris". Politicians bathe in it daily.

EDIT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7710803.st m

Best line:"I love John McCain... I think he's awesome."

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:

I'm not real sure if Palin gets to appoint or if there would be a special election. I think if the senate kicks him out, then Palin appoints, if he resigns, then a special election. I guess we will see how that all plays out if he wins the election. And yes, the Republican Party wants him gone but will support him at every turn until he has secured the election.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Obama's speech last night made me think about how difficult his life and his family's life will be for the rest of their lives. Seeing those huge glass barriers around him, my heart kind of sank. For as far as our country has come in terms of looking past racial prejudice, Obama will probably have more death threats and purported assassination attempts directed at him and his family compared to any other American president thus far.

To add to that, he has the enormous task of being one of the first racial minorities to lead a country, he'll be under the microscope for sure.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Things Obama has to avoid:

1.) Parades

2.) Fat white chicks

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Things Obama has to avoid:

1.) Parades

2.) Fat white chicks

Laughing

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Awesome, I love facebook.

Quote:
Obama was always speakin about change in his campaign. But what kind of change?? Everybody thinks he is african american which is not true...his mom was white & his dad was MUSLIM!! some ppl r so ignorant to that fact. We have been fighting muslims for the last 8 yrs and we want a muslim for our President. That doesn't make sense. He isn't gonna live up to anything he has said. He & his wife hate america & they wouldn't face the AMERICAN flag when saying the pledge. He swore in on the Koran not the Bible. What does that tell u? He is the WRONG choice for President. I feel we as Americans r gonna regret this choice down the road. He is too inexperienced to lead this country right now. McCain had MUCH more experience in many issues. Obama plans on spreading the wealth which means he is going to take the money u earn & give it to someone who just sits on their ass & does nothin while u work ur ass off. Sorry about the langauge but it's true. That's just my opinion but everything I said here is true.

When someone accuses her of hatred and bigotry,

Quote:
Yes Jesus is my Savior!! U hear it b/c their is a lot of hatred in that comment. Yes Jesus did come to save everybody including the Muslims but I do get worried when someone becomes the President of the United States who doesn't even like the place. I am not going to spread the peace & love to someone who doesn't even like me b/c I'm white. That is what he & his wife think u know.

Quote:
Yes his father is from Africa but he was a muslim in Africa as well. It does matter if he is muslim b/c those r the ppl this country has been @ war with for the past 8 yrs. Did u forget about 9/11? I sure didn't. if u payed attention during Obama's speeches u would see his wife givin nasty evil looks @ Hillary Clinton. She hates whites & America.

All from the same person. I WISH this was a joke.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

haha, i hope she's like 14, 15 tops.
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

After feeling really happy for African Americans, the first thing I heard from an African American male this morning was:

"Last night I was at the White House high as sh*t."

Way to go. Rolling Eyes

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Haha, plenty of white people were high as sh*t last night too. Some of them had worthless papers to write instead, though.
Last edited by tahruh on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

She's a friend of a friend, but her network is listed as (Teen Mania Ministries). I believe that's a post-high school missionary academy.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
tahruh wrote:

She's a friend of a friend, but her network is listed as (Teen Mania Ministries). I believe that's a post-high school missionary academy.
Yoikes. I don't know, it really makes me wonder how people, adults especially, can be told such outlandish things and they just accept that and even preach it without checking any legitimate sources. I couldn't imagine coming here, if McCain won, and posting about how fearful I am because I got a chain e-mail stating he was a Klan member. I mean, I guess I could, but I'd be laughing while doing so. I guess people are so emotionally unhealthy/ uneducated/ both, that they have to believe the absolute worst of people, because I can't believe anyone of age and sound mine could really believe even an ounce of some of the stuff that has been said about him.
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
stupid girl from facebook wrote:

that's...disgusting.

also, it will truly be a huge step back if Obama is assassinated. i did not support him in the election but since he is now president over my country, i'm going to support him on anything that will better this country. the things he does that i don't agree with i will deal with, or protest if necessary. an assassination is what i'm afraid of and i pray nothing like that happens.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Yoikes. I don't know, it really makes me wonder how people, adults especially, can be told such outlandish things and they just accept that and even preach it without checking any legitimate sources. I couldn't imagine coming here, if McCain won, and posting about how fearful I am because I got a chain e-mail stating he was a Klan member. I mean, I guess I could, but I'd be laughing while doing so. I guess people are so emotionally unhealthy/ uneducated/ both, that they have to believe the absolute worst of people, because I can't believe anyone of age and sound mine could really believe even an ounce of some of the stuff that has been said about him.

I'd like to think that this level of brainwashing could only be accomplished by being home schooled with no access to the free press (internet, TV, etc), but this girl is on facebook.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>