Laughing City

Your feelings on Coldplay
I love them.
36%
 36%  [ 39 ]
I dispise them.
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
I like some of the stuff they do, but not everything.
57%
 57%  [ 61 ]
Que es Coldplay?
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 107

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:
tell me, all these historical lyrics - do all the songs tie in thematically somehow?

It's definitely not a concept album. "Violet Hill" is the only song that's blatantly meant to be taken that way.

That iTunes commercial looks like the cover to In Rainbows. Confused

Viva La Vida has something about 'Roman cavalry choirs singing,' so I didn't know.

I reeled it back to Coldplay crazee and you misquoted me.
Rolling Eyes
Wink

Sorry for the misquote--I guess I didn't read it closely enough.

not you, silly rabbit. crazee.
i didn't say the commercial looked like the IR cover, you did.

Heh, I was also half-awake when I made that post. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

hey kids, if you buy the new Coldplay at Circuit City you get a free Large Coldplay t-shirt.

i called ahead to make sure they had XL and they told me they did.
they apparently confused it with the 3 Doors Down t-shirts.

so i got no CD and got soaking wet..........it's pouring.

also, Chris is on the cover of Rolling Stone.
i liked the interview. he's open about ripping off Radiohead and Jeff Buckley and even mentions Talking Heads and MJ's Off the Wall album. i agree with him - the percussion is sick on that album. say what you want about MJ, but dude - at that time anyway - could create rhythm, dense rhythm.

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I got it a couple of days ago. It's definately growing on me.

There's something about Coldplay. To me, they're pretty mediocre, but there's something that makes me want to listen more. That said, this new one sounds alot like it's being epic to the point of being ridiculous. Like the strings in the title track. Confused

I would, all said, absolutely love to see them live, and am gutted that, obviously, there are no tickets left to their glasgow shows. Sad

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

thanks for bringing this up - i had actually thought about looking for this thread today.

i bought X&Y when i bought Viva since it was on sale for $7.99.
i finally got around to listening to it and i actually like it.
i even dismissed Speed of Sound when it was released because it seemed too Clocks-y to me, but for whatever reason i like it now.
like usual there are some too rhyme-y lyric choices - for instance i think in the second song in the same verse he ends a phrase with 'wrong' twice.

it's disappointing that Coldplay would not include the lyrics in the booklet though.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
it's disappointing that Coldplay would not include the lyrics in the booklet though.

Chris Martin thinks they detract from the listening experience. I think it's way more irritating to not know what the heck he's singing. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

It's probably better if you don't know what he's saying.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

which one of you used to have the signature that had bono, chris and thom looking sorta like the ghosts of jedi masters?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
which one of you used to have the signature that had bono, chris and thom looking sorta like the ghosts of jedi masters?

Me! And then Admiral79 stole the image and cropped it to just Bono and used it as his icon. Mad If LiveJournal has taught me anything, it's to comment and credit every time I use someone's icons. That lamer.

I later replaced Chris Martin's portion of the sig with Matt Bellamy, after Coldplay started sucking.

Smokemonster
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i was fairly certain it was you, but i didn't want to make any false accusations.

i did some driving today and was able to listen to all of Viva.

here are some questions that came to mind:

in regards to tracks 5 & 6 - have they addressed combining those into one track when they have no musical or sonic link? it's just a really odd choice.

Lovers in Japan - does anyone else want to sing the Yellow melody over this?

the second part of track 6 (wiki calls it "chinese sleep chant") - i don't understand why they decided to make the vocals so undistinctive and burried in the mix.

also, i saw this on wiki:
The week of 14 July 2008, the band uploaded a new track to download for free from their official website, titled "Death Will Never Conquer," from the Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends recording sessions.

has anyone downloaded it?

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

The "Viva La Vida" video is out.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8572630007391803633

The saturated, crackled frisco effect is very pretty; otherwise it's pretty boring. And that disintegrating bit at the end is so 2007. I like them so much better when they mock themselves in their videos.

Smokemonster
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

whatcha'll think about the Prospekt's March EP?

=======================

In other news...

ruhroh!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/147952-joe-satriani-sues-co ldplay-over-viva-la-vida

here you can stream a clip from it on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/If-Could-Fly-Album-Version/dp/B00137Y17M/ref=pd_ bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1228497645&sr=8-1

Jared x
Lost at Forum

Sounds way too similar IMO.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

they do.

while i've heard of Joe Satriani mostly in guitar magazines, does his music get mass play? i don't her much instrumental music when i listen to the radio. i wonder if Coldplay had even heard it.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I heard it on Rollingstone. That Vocal melodies resemblance is either evidence of the "cosmic song" the great writers say they all tap into to make music or...Chris Martin and Co are currently removing all cds, mp3s and AAC or vinyl copies of Joe Satriani cds from their residences and hard drives...

Thing is that unknown band's song sounded alot like Vida La Vida too, I think there's a source they are all ripping off, something even more common but so obvious we are looking past it. I think it might be the music from a Zales diamonds commercial that predates them all, but I'm not sure.

a coach once said "If you ain't cheatin' you aint tryin!"

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mattr
Golly, Poster

This song came out before Joe's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57CgtX-BsI&translated=1

Maybe Enanitos Verdes will be suing him.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>