Laughing City
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

piperjay23 wrote:
I have been lurking for sometime here and haven't posted in a looong time. I have kept quiet because historically I have a tendancy to focus on what can be done better or different versus what has been done well. Call it a flaw or an atribute, but I'm a fixer.

The merits of Eisley are obvious...we know what they do well. But what about the things that they so obviously need to do better....

I think the Baylor show was the culmination of the greater challenges with Eisley in their current form. Poor sound, rusty, not well-rehearsed, weak stage presence, etc. Yes, the new songs are very good. Yes, hearing and seeing Eisley live again was great. But after such a long layoff with a highly anticipated one-off, don't you think they should have been MUCH better prepared?

Recently, Eilsley Mom became ill. Apparently she almost died! Terrible challenge for the entire family. In a blog post it was made known that they don't have health insurance....wait...what? They have two family businesses as I understand it (coffee shop and band). How do they not have health coverage. These folks are Texas republicans. Self sufficiency is a fundemental tenent of their political platform. No insurance? How is that a wise business decision on any front?

We know too much about their personal lives. They need to withdrawal and protect their inner workings. Create some mystique and be prepared to present themselves as consumate professionals on stage. They aren't kids anymore. They are getting married and have kids of their own. It is time to leave the nest and start treating this venture as a carreer.

Eisley needs to become a LOT more professional on all fronts. The talent and music is there, but it will not sustain their lives and their families if they keep acting like some kids act.

And before anyone lectures me on the challenges of supporting a music act in the modern era and the cost of health insurance...stop. I own a small business that generates a lot less revenue than Eisley. And my family and all my employees have a company sponsored health plan. It's not rocket science. It's a little less time blogging from coffee shops and a lot more time working on the business.

No.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

A whole lot of assuming in that opening of this thread. This would have been better to either be left alone or PM'd. I see your point on some issues, but you really should not come on the band's website and (again) berate them for how they run their band, their finances, their personal life, etc... Why you did this the last time you did, and why you did this again, is beyond me. Consider sending a private message next time. Much of the things in your post are obviously deeply private matters. You berate the band and family for their openness. I rather enjoy hearing whatever they choose to share and hope they continue with that.
Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
A whole lot of assuming in that opening of this thread. This would have been better to either be left alone or PM'd. I see your point on some issues, but you really should not come on the band's website and (again) berate them for how they run their band, their finances, their personal life, etc... Why you did this the last time you did, and why you did this again, is beyond me. Consider sending a private message next time. Much of the things in your post are obviously deeply private matters. You berate the band and family for their openness. I rather enjoy hearing whatever they choose to share and hope they continue with that.

I agree 100%

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Cleveland sucks!

Laughing Used to be referred to as the mistake on the lake, but the city has really cleaned up nicely over the last decade or so. Don't you know, Cleveland ROCKS! Laughing
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Ever since I signed on to Laughing City, it's never ceased to amaze me at how hospitable the DuPree's have been! They share not only their musical passions but their lives with us. I've always been touched and grateful of that! In fact it makes me feel quite proud! It's as if Kim and Boyd have invited us, literally, as guest into their home! That being the case, the original posters' remarks were not only uncalled for and inappropriate, but extremely ill mannered! I can't help but feel personally affronted by them!
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:

guitargirl wrote:
I wouldn't consider you a lurker, as I remember your "Praise for Eisley (Something Other Than)" thread as if you posted it yesterday. It was obvious as soon as I started reading this thread that it was you.

That wasn't piperjay. The only posts he made in that thread were actually quite positive toward Eisley.

You're right. I didn't look close enough. I can't believe it's not the same person, though, since the tone of both posts is so similar. or how I remember it...

mikep0922 wrote:
Ever since I signed on to Laughing City, it's never ceased to amaze me at how hospitable the DuPree's have been! They share not only their musical passions but their lives with us. I've always been touched and grateful of that! In fact it makes me feel quite proud! It's as if Kim and Boyd have invited us, literally, as guest into their home! That being the case, the original posters' remarks were not only uncalled for and inappropriate, but extremely ill mannered! I can't help but feel personally affronted by them!

Agreed and I feel the same way about your last sentence.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

guitargirl wrote:
Saellys wrote:

guitargirl wrote:
I wouldn't consider you a lurker, as I remember your "Praise for Eisley (Something Other Than)" thread as if you posted it yesterday. It was obvious as soon as I started reading this thread that it was you.

That wasn't piperjay. The only posts he made in that thread were actually quite positive toward Eisley.

You're right. I didn't look close enough. I can't believe it's not the same person, though, since the tone of both posts is so similar.

Oops. I think it was hahacity or something like that. Are we thinking of the same thread? Don't link it, I have the search function.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
Saellys wrote:

guitargirl wrote:

You're right. I didn't look close enough. I can't believe it's not the same person, though, since the tone of both posts is so similar.

Oops. I think it was hahacity or something like that. Are we thinking of the same thread? Don't link it, I have the search function.

Yes, that's the one.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

I totally get where you're coming from, as a performer, and running sound and recording I'm totally keen on all that. I guess, my comments regarding imperfections were unclear. I'm not promoting mediocrity or settling for performing at some level. I'm all for refinement, but to lambaste about things that aren't always in the performers control is misguided.

There were reasons why Fiona Apple used to trot off stage disenchanted. The practice/ rehearsal room is a controlled environment, Outdoor Shows are absolutely not. Something as simple as Temperature Humidity can cause all kinds of havoc with staying in tune and the action on stringed instruments, as well as the performance of Tube Amps, for starters.

The ambient sound changes constantly in open air venues, and these things cause technical issues, that can and will affect performance. Natural echo can throw timing completely off. Crowd noise can render monitoring ineffective. These things can be overcome, but they will change the timber of a performance, but that doesn't equate to a band not having practiced enough. There is no real "Danger Room" for bands, you just have to play the shows and adapt live.

So, I took offense that a musicians work ethic can be questioned because a performance doesn't go off without a hitch. I think that's insulting to musicians and performers in general. That's like saying it's Randy Johnson's fault that Dove flew in the path of his fastball.

I couldn't agree more. The best you can do as a performer/engineer is adapt to problems as they come. For example, I went on tour this spring playing the timpani part of Carmina Burana with a large chorus and percussion ensemble. Now, at most of the venues we used our own timpani. I know how they play, and there are no surprises when I'm trying to tune the drums or set the gauges/ranges. But, sometimes we needed to use a set provided by the venue do to time constraints. Generally, I had very little time to tune the drums or even make sure I could tune the pitches I needed. They were often in poor condition, and had other problems besides intonation. Is it my fault I was sometimes out of tune on these drums? No. You need to just adapt and deal with circumstance as best you can.

I totally and completely empathize with the uncontrollable parameters of live performance.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
drenchedecent
Sea Post King

piperjay23 wrote:

We know too much about their personal lives. They need to withdrawal and protect their inner workings.

Overall I am going to stay away from this topic and discussion, but I could not agree with this more. We all know way too much about their personal lives. It is my own fault, I used to read this board and journals all the time. Now I just stay away for the most part and listen to the MUSIC.

Noel K. Gewd
Sea Post King

inertiac wrote:
texas republicans?
ewwwwwww

what's wrong with texas republicans?
i think that's awesome.

piperjay23
Sea Post King

I am not the same person who started the thread I am accused of starting almost a year ago.

Everything in my original post here was carefully thought out and said for a reason. I knew I'd get clobbered over the head. And I knew that to many, I would deserve it. I was worried about offending people personally. But when people open themselves up to the word, I think it's only fair to expect some feedback.

Why here? Where else?! Why at all? Because I care about the band. I am a fan. I want to see them succeed in the cluttered mess of the music biz, and to do that, they must adapt. I've been saying it here one way or another for a year.

Eisley Dad acknowledged how rough this year has been for them and that they even considered packing it in...packing it in...packing it in....no, please God no!

I know it seemed harsh to say what I said, but that's business. I think in some way, they needed to hear it and will be better for it.

I apologize to Kim and Boyd and the entire band if I hurt any feelings or rubbed salt in any wounds. I can only use words on this forum to convey that it was said because I care and think good thougths about all of you often. I don't want Stacey to go become an accountant, or Chauntelle to become an elementary school teacher or some crazy thing like that. My goal must be in unison woth anyone that comes to these forums...to celebrate Eisley for many years to come.

At a certain point, economic sustainabilty must become a primary goal. To achieve that, a polished and consistent live product is paramount.

It's funny that U2 was brought up here. My other favorite live act. The mark of professionalism gained from practice and rehearsal isn't the ability to avoid mistakes, but how you recover from them. The example of Bono in Magnificent on Letterman is perfect. He messed up lyrics, but didn't lose rythm, tone or unison. Because it was a new song, I'm sure noone in the live audience knew the difference. Only die hard fans who had already memorized the lyrics to what was at the time an unreleased song knew the difference.

I am an amateur performance musician. I have played in 5 world championships in my idiom. I know what a difference dedicated practice and rehearsals can do for a live performance.

Thank you Duprees for the opportunity to be deservedly bashed over the head on your forum.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Easily associated with Dubya. I think they were joking, though. And it's not confirmed...

And you can easily avoid reading the journals, their facebooks, Twitters, etc.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Ok, ok.
Last edited by tahruh on Wed May 06, 2009 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

piperjay23 wrote:
It's funny that U2 was brought up here. My other favorite live act. The mark of professionalism gained from practice and rehearsal isn't the ability to avoid mistakes, but how you recover from them. The example of Bono in Magnificent on Letterman is perfect. He messed up lyrics, but didn't lose rythm, tone or unison. Because it was a new song, I'm sure noone in the live audience knew the difference. Only die hard fans who had already memorized the lyrics to what was at the time an unreleased song knew the difference.

And when he really messes up and everyone knows it, he generally turns it into a delightful bit of banter, as he did with the "Help me--I've got a frog in my throat!" portion of the Live in Chicago DVD.

I mean, uh, stop being mean to Eisley! Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address