Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

guitargirl wrote:
mr pine wrote:
wow? was wil smith (the cliff clavin of the LC) the only one who got was I was doing?

I fail at internet humour.

I got it...Smile (points to post above yours)

yeah, I saw your post after I posted mine Very Happy

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I got it!
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
I got it!

Too late!!!

*runs away crying

I'd hurt myself but I have no health insurance.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
bigideas wrote:
One difference in the members of Eisley and bands like Radiohead (or other elder bands) is that it is a different generation. When they were teens there wasn't an internet (or if there was back then, not a widely used one).

Would it be far fetched to think there would have been some real depressing Thom Yorke blog entries in his youth?

Piperjay - you must be happy that a U2 tour is coming about and you can actually see them instead of trying to make Eisley into U2. Wink

Bigideas, I have been lurking for sometime here and haven't posted in a looong time (one day). I have kept quiet because historically I have a tendancy to focus on what can be done better or different versus what has been done well. Call it a flaw or an atribute, but I'm a fixer.

The merits of bigideas are obvious...we know what bigideas does well. But what about the things bigideas so obviously needs to do better....

I think your post was the culmination of the greater challenges with bigideas in your current form. Poor text, rusty, not well-rehearsed, weak english, etc. Yes, the new concept was very good. Yes, seeing bigideas post again was great. But after such a long layoff with a highly anticipated one-off, don't you think bigideas should have been MUCH better prepared?

In a recent post it was made known that Radiohead didn't have the internet when they started....wait...what? These folks are English rockers. Self promotion is a fundemental tenent of their political platform. No internet? How is that a wise business decision on any front?

We know too much about bigideas personal life. Bigideas needs to withdrawal and protect bigideas inner workings. Create some mystique and be prepared to present more posts as a consumate professional on the LC. Bigideas is not a kid anymore. Bigideas is getting married and having kids of his own. It is time to leave the nest and start treating this venture as a carreer.

Bigideas needs to become a LOT more professional on all fronts. The talent and words are there, but it will not sustain bigideas life and his families if bigideas keeps acting like some kid poster.

And before anyone lectures me on the challenges of supporting an internet message board in the modern era and the cost of internet...stop. I own a small business that generates a lot less revenue than bigideas. And my family and all my employees have a company sponsored isp. It's not rocket science. It's a little less time blogging from coffee shops and a lot more time blogging from your kitchen.

Too soon?

You, sir, are made of win.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

mr pine wrote:
I'd hurt myself but I have no health insurance.

2 for 2!
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
piperjay23
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:

How do you see yourself in this situation?

I know that if we were all in the same room, most of us would probably get along very well.

On this particular thread..apparently I'm the Jerk, the Judas, the overbearing drunk at the party who says what others can only think. Although, I don't think it's fair to assume that my original comments or the way in which I expressed them are an embodiment of who I am personally (or psychologically as some have theorized). But all are free to judge based on limited information, as I did in the OP.

At the end of the day, I am like most of you, a fan. To continue your political analogy, most politicians are devoted patriots and statesmen(women), yet they have plenty of room for debate. I wouldn't be here if I weren't interested in the past, present and future of the band. If all I cared about was the music, I would just listen to the CD as someone suggested. Without knowing them persoanlly, I do care about the health and welfare of the Duprees. Much in the same way I care about LeBron James or Barack Obama (A. Coulter can fall of the Earth for all I care). I like their work and hope to see it continue and flourish. If there is a venue where they might receive my praise as well as my criticism for their triumphs and missteps, then I will use it to express myself.

And yes, the last time I posted something controversial on these forums, the place erupted with activity. So in some odd way I might be an accidental unifier. And in another way, much of the "hate" I have gotten might simply be because some people here have posted 10,000 times and have yet to say anything thought provoking or useful to or about the band. They hate me because they can't articulate a meaningful thought outside of what bagel they had for breakfast or what crap homemade song they just put up on myspace.

But I'm comfortable with it...whatever it is.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ thanks for answering my question, and thoughtfully so.

Those jabs at the end though... Neutral

Let me put it this way, you have done a very good job of asserting your standards or values about peoples' personal output online.

And instead of Ann Coulter (we'ver thrown her under the bus enough on this board in the "who do you find attractive thread"), I should have gone with my other choice, James "Skeletor" Carville Laughing

In all honesty though, I think the Reznor comparison works best for me, cause like him, solicited or not, you have touched on some uncomfortable issues that resonate with everyone. When he dogged Radiohead for giving their record away, Chris Cornell for doing a Pop/ R & B album, Prince and River's for having great songs upon songs in the vaults but producing weak records, he PO'd a lot of loyal fans, and validated the thoughts of the skeptical ones and cynics. Everytime I saw one of his comments publicized I winced, but I knew where he was coming from. I just wish he'd have been more refined with his rhetoric or been a little more tactful. But I get that some people feel that being tactful is akin to being PC, which hinders honesty. I guess that's why I cribbed the quote from the sermon I use as my signature.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri May 08, 2009 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
wow? was wil smith (the cliff clavin of the LC) *edit* and guitargirl? the only ones who got was I was doing?

i see what you were doing, but when you quoted me it made it as i said the things piperjay did.

unless you truly are taking a jab at me and if that's the case i'm puzzled.

would you want me to quote Michael Richards racial epithet rant and take all mentions of Michael Richards out and put your name?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
mr pine wrote:
wow? was wil smith (the cliff clavin of the LC) *edit* and guitargirl? the only ones who got was I was doing?

i see what you were doing, but when you quoted me it made it as i said the things piperjay did.

unless you truly are taking a jab at me and if that's the case i'm puzzled.

would you want me to quote Michael Richards racial epithet rant and take all mentions of Michael Richards out and put your name?

Yeah, I was gonna respond to your Confused response to it, but then I felt that would be belittling to "explain it" and what not.

I think the Irony was that it was out of place to even point you out and make light of your comments etc. The joke as I took it was, you didn't deserve what you were getting at all, and he was being asinine in his criticism of your post.

I get what you are saying about Michael Richards, but yeah, you were a tool in a satire that was very pointed and in no way directed towards you. in that joke, you were actually in Eisley's place, not Piperjay23's.

Or maybe I didn't get it at all either?? Confused

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Yeah what cliff clavin said.

I wasn't taking a jab at you. if I was I wouldn't fill it will false pretenses about how I "cared" about you. Or how I am really a "fan" of you and I just want you to "be better". Then belittle you. I'd just say what I wanted. Ok, that was a jab. but not at you.

As for piperjay,

Quote:
On this particular thread..apparently I'm the Jerk, the Judas, the overbearing drunk at the party who says what others can only think

No, on this thread you presented a critique that is not fact, and open to opinion. Therefore, your post is also open for critique.

As I have said to other before, why dish the hate if you can't take it?

wilsmith wrote:

piperjay23
Sea Post King

It's not hate I dish. That is your job here.

And I can take it.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

piperjay23 wrote:
It's not hate I dish. That is your job here.

And I can take it.

Thank you for letting me know my role. Now I can rest easy secure in the fact that my life has meaning.

wilsmith wrote:

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^^^Big Ten Showdown live on E.SPN

TGIF!!! I think all the Legal folks round here are due for a happy hour of their choosing, preferably somewhere without Wi-Fi! Smile

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Some place like ... Cheers!!

Ok, I am done with the Cliff Clavin references. for now.

wilsmith wrote:

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

piperjay23 wrote:

much of the "hate" I have gotten might simply be because some people here have posted 10,000 times and have yet to say anything thought provoking or useful to or about the band. They hate me because they can't articulate a meaningful thought outside of what bagel they had for breakfast or what crap homemade song they just put up on myspace.

But I'm comfortable with it...whatever it is.

Oh ok, I thought it was because you come across as arrogant and condescending but this proves that's not the case.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX